Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineonehunglow
Stranger
Panellus stipticus, incubation and fruiting info
    #19000641 - 10/19/13 05:20 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

This is my first mushroom grow project. I bought a pan stip syringe and two bags of pre sterilized grain spawn. After the bags were colonized i mixed them into my globe vase with sterilized hardwood oak pellets. This is what the vase looks like now. There are no harmful molds growing.

My question is, will these fruit in the globe vase? and if so when will i know they are ready? They are being stored at around 70F which is the fruiting temp. Will i need to eventually uncover the vase?
any input in appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineonehunglow
Stranger
Re: Panellus stipticus, incubation and fruiting info [Re: onehunglow]
    #19003577 - 10/20/13 11:58 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

bump

InvisibleEntersandman
Wings of Tomorrow
Male User Gallery

Loc: behind the border
    #19004075 - 10/20/13 01:44 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

great idea! :super:

wait until the whole substrate is covered by mycelium. let the vase in the dark until the whole wood surface is white then you can put under light (not direct sun light). the fungus will fruit after a short time.

i hope this helps and keep us updated  :wink:

--------------------

OfflinePussyFart
Retired Cultivation Extrodinaire
Male

Loc: Orbiting Earth
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Panellus stipticus, incubation and fruiting info [Re: Entersandman]
    #19004131 - 10/20/13 02:02 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Lighting Requirements of Mushrooms

Some mushrooms, such as the Agaricus species commonly found in grocery stores require no light at all. However, those commonly grown by hobbyists, such as Pleurotus ostreatus (Oyster Mushrooms), Lentinus enodes (Shiitake), Psilocybe cubensis, a hallucinogenic mushroom, and Hericium erinaceus (Lion's Mane) all require light to produce abundant, normal sized fruits. Experience has taught us that the light best suited for primordia formation and the development of fruitbodies is bright light with a color temperature of 5,000 Kelvin to 7,000 Kelvin. Fortunately, this type of light is easily obtainable at your local home improvement center in the form of fluorescent fixtures. For a small terrarium as described in this chapter, a single CFL (compact fluorescent) that screws into a standard light bulb socket will work very well. These can often be found in grocery and drug stores in every neighborhood. 15 watt CFLs will do the job well, but the package will probably have a large 60 stamped on it, indicating they produce light "equivalent" to a 60 watt incandescent light bulb. They're referring to lumens of output, not the frequency. Incandescent light bulbs are the worst possible choice for growing mushrooms, since they emit a 'red' light in the 3,000 Kelvin color temperature range.

The higher the color temperature, expressed in Kelvin, the closer to the 'blue' end of the spectrum the emitted light is. The lower the color temperature the 'redder' the light is. If you have a choice of fluorescent lamps, purchase those labeled 'daylight' since these have a somewhat higher color temperature than cool white. Daylight, sometimes called 'natural daylight' fluorescent tubes generally emit light in the 6,500 Kelvin range, while cool white fluorescent emits light at around 5,000 Kelvin.
If you have several terrariums stacked or otherwise near each other, you can use larger 2 to 4 tube fluorescent fixtures. These come in 48" and 96" lengths. Place the fluorescent lamps as close as you can get them to your terrariums without causing excessive heating. Species such as Shiitake and Oyster mushrooms prefer to fruit at temperatures in the upper 50's to mid 60's Fahrenheit (15C to 20C), while Psilocybe cubensis prefers to fruit at a temperature in the mid 70s to about 80 Fahrenheit (23C to 27C)
Most mushroom species don't mind a slightly warmer temperature during daytime than at night, so if your grow room is a bit colder than the temperature ranges given above, a little warming from your lights during the daytime won't hurt at all, provided you don't let the air in your terrarium get too dry. For cakes, try to keep the humidity above 95%.
Cased substrates are a bit more forgiving, but still try to keep your humidity above 90%. 12 hours on, 12 hours off has proved to be a great combination over a wide range of species. Of course, if you have a bright window near your terrarium, that will suffice, but direct sunlight for more than a few minutes per day should be avoided.

Disregard outdated advice in old books which is constantly repeated on the internet to colonize mushroom substrates in total darkness. Experience and rigorous peer reviewed studies have proved that exposure to low level ambient indoor lighting during spawn run and substrate colonizing will speed up the process, leading to full colonization up to a few days earlier than the same substrate would if colonized in darkness. In addition, mushroom mycelium develops a day/night circadian rhythm, so exposure to light from day of inoculation sets this process in motion, leading to earlier fruiting and harvest.

Source: http://www.mushroomvideos.com/Terrarium-Tek

Edited by PussyFart (10/20/13 02:03 PM)

Offlineonehunglow
Stranger
Re: Panellus stipticus, incubation and fruiting info [Re: PussyFart]
    #19005208 - 10/20/13 06:30 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you both for your input

InvisibleKhii Khwaay
black tooth grin

#19005363 - 10/20/13 06:59 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Did the spawn glow in the dark?

OfflineFunnyLight
Nom NOm NOM
Male User Gallery

Loc: fuckin Mars man
    #19005396 - 10/20/13 07:05 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Pan. Stip is a fun one!

You mentioned in your original post that you mixed in the colonized grain with sterilized hardwood oak pellets. What process did you perform to sterilize the pellets?

In this case pasteurizing would have been preferred. Keep a close eye for oddly textured mycellium, or mycellium of a different color as these will likely be contaminants.

You will want to introduce "fruiting conditions" once the substrate (the hardwood oak pellets) is completely colonized and had a chance to consolidate for a short time. Fruiting conditions vary from mushroom species to mushroom species, as mentioned above by NotaHacker.

There are several papers devoted to Pan. Stip. and their ideal environments. I would try a search of this site and see what pops up. The short and sweet will be fanning and misting the fully colonized substrate several times a day to induce pinning.

A steady light cycle is recommended for all mushroom types. In the case of Pan. Stip. though, I believe there have been studies showing that a total absence of light produces a brighter glowing substrate/fruiting bodies. I believe the acidity of the substrate will have a far greater impact than light starvation will. I would stick with providing a 12/12 light cycle for your glowers.

Also, keep us posted, because that'll be a sweet ass glowing globe come time to fruit!

(Yes, Pan. Stip. mycelium should glow in the dark)

--------------------
The most powerful drive through the ascent of man, is pleasure in his own skill.
J. Bronowski

Home of delicious "Psychedelic Nyotaimori".
Thanks Lemmingp for that.

:mushroom2::grin::mushroom2:

Offlineonehunglow
Stranger
Re: Panellus stipticus, incubation and fruiting info [Re: FunnyLight]
    #19005423 - 10/20/13 07:13 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Khii Khwaay said:
Did the spawn glow in the dark?

Yes it did and quite well.

Quote:

FunnyLight said:
Pan. Stip is a fun one!

You mentioned in your original post that you mixed in the colonized grain with sterilized hardwood oak pellets. What process did you perform to sterilize the pellets?

In this case pasteurizing would have been preferred. Keep a close eye for oddly textured mycellium, or mycellium of a different color as these will likely be contaminants.

You will want to introduce "fruiting conditions" once the substrate (the hardwood oak pellets) is completely colonized and had a chance to consolidate for a short time. Fruiting conditions vary from mushroom species to mushroom species, as mentioned above by NotaHacker.

There are several papers devoted to Pan. Stip. and their ideal environments. I would try a search of this site and see what pops up. The short and sweet will be fanning and misting the fully colonized substrate several times a day to induce pinning.

A steady light cycle is recommended for all mushroom types. In the case of Pan. Stip. though, I believe there have been studies showing that a total absence of light produces a brighter glowing substrate/fruiting bodies. I believe the acidity of the substrate will have a far greater impact than light starvation will. I would stick with providing a 12/12 light cycle for your glowers.

Also, keep us posted, because that'll be a sweet ass glowing globe come time to fruit!

(Yes, Pan. Stip. mycelium should glow in the dark)

To sterilize the pellets, i placed them in an a sealed oven bag to keep in moisture and put them in the oven for 1hr 30min. Then stored them (completely sealed off) until i was ready to mix in my vase. So far i see nothing oddly textured. Thanks for the info, fruiting them should be easy. Ill keep this updated with more pictures as it goes.

OfflineFunnyLight
Nom NOm NOM
Male User Gallery

Loc: fuckin Mars man
    #19005451 - 10/20/13 07:19 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

What temperature did you bake them at?

--------------------
The most powerful drive through the ascent of man, is pleasure in his own skill.
J. Bronowski

Home of delicious "Psychedelic Nyotaimori".
Thanks Lemmingp for that.

:mushroom2::grin::mushroom2:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #19006030 - 10/20/13 09:25 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

To sterilize the pellets, i placed them in an a sealed oven bag to keep in moisture and put them in the oven for 1hr 30min. Then stored them (completely sealed off) until i was ready to mix in my vase. So far i see nothing oddly textured. Thanks for the info, fruiting them should be easy. Ill keep this updated with more pictures as it goes.

That's not nearly enough so I doubt it will fully colonize without molding.  You want the center of the sawdust to be at 140F to 160F for 60 to 90 minutes.  You probably didn't even get it up to that temperature in an oven.

Next time if you're pasteurizing place the bag in a large pot of water and heat to a boil.  Let boil until your meat thermometer in the center of the bag starts to move off the bottom peg.  At that point, reduce the setting on the stove to stop the boil, but keep it hot.

Adjust as necessary to keep the center at the correct temperature range.

Also next time, get some citric acid or lemon juice to reduce the pH of the sawdust to around 4.  The mycelium will glow much brighter.

I doubt seriously they'll fruit in that bowl.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate