Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: AlabamaApe]
    #17983398 - 03/20/13 09:00 AM (11 years, 29 days ago)

Fair enough, his employee certainly should not have assumed Aloha was lying without having looked into it.  Working for Stamets, they might think they're privy to the best cultures and every piece of information the moment it comes out- ultimately with this attitude more things will fly by their radar.  As for his medicinals being glorified brown rice flower- how does Aloha's method differ from FP's?  From what a FP employee told me, they grow out their mycelium on brown rice extra long so that vast majority of rice is converted into mycelium.  Then for medicinals that include mycelium+fruitbody, they allow it to start to fruit then freeze(?)dry and grind it all.

Another questions- is there a third party that analyzes samples from FP, Aloha and others??  Also, FP tests a bunch of strains of each medicinal for % of active compounds- for instance he showed a chart of 12 or so different highly-variable hericium strains and their erinacene content and confirmed that their commercial hericium culture is indeed the most medically active strain.  Do other producers like Aloha do this too? 

The prices on aloha are indeed better, so if they are comparable or better, I will switch, although I make more and more of my own medicinals these days and save a fortune :wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinenycomyco
Stranger

Loc: PA
Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: nycomyco]
    #17983423 - 03/20/13 09:06 AM (11 years, 29 days ago)

and following up on the chemical analysis issue:  Stamets mentioned that some tests are bogus.  For instance B-glucan analyses of the same sample from different labs shows extreme variance.  I think he said that overall polysaccharide content is a better indicator of b-glucan content.  Agaratine should be much easier to test for since it's a much smaller molecule.  If I were Aloha, I might have the A blazei sample tested by several independent labs just to be sure.

OfflineAmanita virosa
botanist by day
Male User Gallery

Loc: north kakalacky
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: AlabamaApe]
    #17983587 - 03/20/13 10:00 AM (11 years, 29 days ago)

Paranoid megalomaniac.  Sorry, anyone that goes to such extremes to protect their "property" has psycological issues.  At least when Monsanto does it, they are protecting something they actually "created" thru genetic modification.  No amount of banter will ever convince me that someone can patent their version of a species.  You will also never convince me that it is that difficult or takes millions of dollars to develop a new strain of edible mushroom.    When I first started doing mushroom installations, i was purchasing plugs and sawdust spawn from FP.  One day I mentioned what I was doing with the spawn to some guy named Peter at FP, essencially re-selling it by putting it in other people's logs on their property.  Although he did not say anything to me at the time, about a week later I received a threatening letter saying what I was doing was illegal, along with several pages of legal documents that I was supposed to sign and return.  Sorry, that is just plain paranoid.  Lord forbid that someone else might make a few bucks off of something they bought from FP.  I don't think anyone is disputing that the guy is a "pioneer".  I just think his business practices suck and that he is paranoid.

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: Amanita virosa]
    #17984311 - 03/20/13 01:19 PM (11 years, 29 days ago)

Agree. 100% ^

Unless we are talking about a puppy or some other pet, when you sell something, who cares where the fuck it goes! 
    Imagine if some store sold you a bicycle and stipulated that you couldn't ride it on Sundays or face a lawsuit. That's how ridiculous this shit is.  If he believed in the helping/healing things he claims to, he'd be more interested in spreading these than monopolizing them.  Its really sad actually.  Note: if you sell stamets' cultures mycelium ect, just say it's wildcrafted & nobody will know. It's that simple.

Edit:  Cmon paul.. isolating for certain traits genetically is something a young child could be trained to do. Yes its work but this capital Naziism is a real bummer.

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Offlinebatman returns
Dude man
Male User Gallery

Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: Amanita virosa]
    #17986447 - 03/20/13 07:51 PM (11 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

Amanita virosa said:
Paranoid megalomaniac.  Sorry, anyone that goes to such extremes to protect their "property" has psycological issues.  At least when Monsanto does it, they are protecting something they actually "created" thru genetic modification.  No amount of banter will ever convince me that someone can patent their version of a species.  You will also never convince me that it is that difficult or takes millions of dollars to develop a new strain of edible mushroom.    When I first started doing mushroom installations, i was purchasing plugs and sawdust spawn from FP.  One day I mentioned what I was doing with the spawn to some guy named Peter at FP, essencially re-selling it by putting it in other people's logs on their property.  Although he did not say anything to me at the time, about a week later I received a threatening letter saying what I was doing was illegal, along with several pages of legal documents that I was supposed to sign and return.  Sorry, that is just plain paranoid.  Lord forbid that someone else might make a few bucks off of something they bought from FP.  I don't think anyone is disputing that the guy is a "pioneer".  I just think his business practices suck and that he is paranoid.

:congrats:

At the seminar I attended, he said that he only patented strains to protect the from the big evil corporations, and that he'd never take action against the little guy. Guess he's as full of shit as it seems. Like I said earlier, it was a very strange vibe there... kind of hostile. Dusty was way cool, but most of the guests and Paul himself where off putting. Jimmy was cool... but most of the other people where just too cool for school.

Offlinewoodland_jewel
In den Gärten Pharaos
Male User Gallery

Loc: Penna
Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: batman returns]
    #17986902 - 03/20/13 09:12 PM (11 years, 29 days ago)

This is an interesting thread, but how many of you have actually READ the Spawn Sales Agreement? Here are the two points of it that are related to what's been discussed here...

From http://fungi.com/mushroom-spawn-sale-agreement.html
  • 4. Limited Warranty. Fungi Perfecti, LLC guarantees to our customer that the mushroom culture will be viable upon receiving. We will replace any spawn stored and used according to this Mushroom Spawn Sale Agreement if the mushroom culture does not demonstrate vitality and purity during the expansion stage. If you wish to request replacement spawn, please provide a written explanation of the problem/s you are having and forward your inquiry to either our mailing address or our email, info@fungi.com. We will promptly replace your spawn at no additional charge, subject only to availability. If your culture is no longer available, we will talk with you about providing a suitable replacement species. This spawn is being provided as an educational service, and we make no guarantee as to their productivity, usefulness, fitness for a particular purpose or otherwise unless stated in this Agreement. Fungi Perfecti, LLC shall not be responsible for consequential damages or other damages except as specified. This is the sole and exclusive limited warranty provided by Fungi Perfect, LLC, and customer agrees that the limit of Fungi Perfecti, LLC's liability to customer shall be the purchase price.

• 5. Limitation of Use. Your Fungi Perfecti, LLC ready to inoculate mushroom spawn is conditionally delivered subject to your agreement to comply with the following limitation of culture(s) use:

You may not sell, transfer, market or assign Fungi Perfecti, LLC's spawn or cultures—or any spawn or cultures subsequently derived therefrom—in any way, shape or form without our written consent.

You may not represent these cultures as being connected with Fungi Perfecti, LLC without our written consent.

You may only use these cultures for fresh and dried fruit body products, and for your personal use to grow spawn for fresh and dried fruit body products.

If the actions of the company conflict with the sales agreement then that's one thing, but I don't see anything here that should inspire such ire. The dude just doesn't want people making spawn from his cultures and selling it as though it was from Fungi Perfecti. I wouldn't want some ass selling contaminated spawn and attaching my name to it either.

--------------------

Woodland Jewel Mushrooms
Facebook
Twitter: @woodland_jewel
Instagram

PBS filmed a feature on us, check it out HERE

Offlinebatman returns
Dude man
Male User Gallery

Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: woodland_jewel]
    #17987376 - 03/20/13 10:45 PM (11 years, 29 days ago)

Quote:

You may not sell, transfer, market or assign Fungi Perfecti, LLC's spawn or cultures—or any spawn or cultures subsequently derived therefrom—in any way, shape or form without our written consent.

This is the line that inspires the ire. You cannot sell his spawn, period. No fruiting logs, no kits, just mushrooms. I've always personally felt it was an unreasonable request. One way around it would be to just start from spore off "his" fruit bodies.

Offlinefivedollalongtime
Patriarch of Mushroom Kingdom
 User Gallery

Loc: That place with the sell ...
Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: batman returns]
    #18987053 - 10/16/13 04:46 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I have tons of edible and medicinal cultures, 40+ AND GROWING! If anyone needs anything in particular, PM me. I also have many rare mycorrhizal species, that none of you could really use :smile:

--------------------
"Although September 11 was horrible, it didn't threaten the survival of the human race, like nuclear weapons do" Stephen Hawking

"We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet" Stephen Hawking

"Mushrooms are NOT plants and the NPK numbers have about as much relevance as they would if you were feeding fertilizer to humans."
RR

My personal projects in progress for the Mushroom Kingdom:
http://

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: Edible cultures: Stamets. Overpriced hype? [Re: fivedollalongtime]
    #19003081 - 10/20/13 09:01 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

A lot of the expensive cultures with guaranteed premium yields probably don't outperform regular clones of store bought mushrooms (which anyone can knock up with know how or even h202).

I've never come across an isolate of any of the oyster varieties that didn't perform quite well so I would think twice before paying someone big bucks because you want commercial yields just because they claim their isolate performs. Nearly all the phenotypes of some of these species do.

I hear shiitakes can be iffy but with time and a collection of say 10 different strains I'm sure with, time, testing and selective isolation you could come up with an awesome one.

these guys have to claim they have isolates that out perform others to stand out.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds