Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Anonymous

best technological innovations in recent history...
    #1899528 - 09/09/03 08:19 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i'm gonna say... modern medicine. the internet\telecommunications.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: best technological innovations in recent history... [Re: ]
    #1899608 - 09/09/03 08:32 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Those x-ray glasses you see on the back of comic books.

Ummmmmmmm.... x-rays...

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleSHiZNO
-

Re: best technological innovations in recent history... [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1899984 - 09/09/03 10:06 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

i wouldnt call the internet recent... maybe recent on a historical timeline, but not recent recent

--------------------

Offlinewingnutx
    #1902749 - 09/10/03 05:51 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

thermo-depolymerization, making fuel oil out of garbage

GPS, lets me find the nearest krispy kreme donuts, and lets US pilots rain death on jihadis heads more efficiently

automatic defibriliators are pretty cool, too.

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1902868 - 09/10/03 06:26 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Lazik.  It has helped many a four eyed geek become a two eyed geek. :eyemouth: 

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: best technological innovations in recent history... [Re: Autonomous]
    #1904371 - 09/11/03 07:37 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Autonomous said:
Lazik.  It has helped many a four eyed geek become a two eyed geek. :eyemouth: 

Have you had it done? I've been researching it and would love to hear your thoughts.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1904574 - 09/11/03 09:58 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The single best technological innovation has to be the scientific method. It is directly responsible for our modern life. Perhaps it is also the worst technological innocation as well... for the same reason.

The transistor, cryogenics (the science of supercool liquids, not freezing people), nylon (and teflon), the laser, etc...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #1904887 - 09/11/03 12:33 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I had lasik a few years ago. The procedure is incredibly weird, almost alien. But afterwards, you can see clearly within 6 hours or so. You need to put drops in your eyes every couple of hours for a month or so. But all of this is totally worth it.

I highly recommend it. The key is to find someone who has hundreds, if not thousands, of procedures as experience is important. My guy had some 1500 under his belt. Dont go cheap - find an experienced doctor who has a good reputation.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: best technological innovations in recent history... [Re: Xochitl]
    #1904982 - 09/11/03 01:07 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks. I've been talking to many who have had it done and I've just about made up my mind to go for it. Some I've talked to say there's a bit more glare when driving at night. Have you noticed that?

Man it would be sweet to only need glasses to read. I've been wearing glasses for 40 years. Tried contacts but they never worked out for me.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1905041 - 09/11/03 01:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

> I've just about made up my mind to go for it

Make sure that your eyes are good for it first. If your doctor tells you that it works for everybody, run. If I remember correctly, some people have a large iris and are not good candidates for the procedure.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: best technological innovations in recent history... [Re: Seuss]
    #1905070 - 09/11/03 01:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks. My doctor did mention a thorough exam and that it's not for everyone.

--------------------

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
    #1905789 - 09/11/03 03:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, there is a minimal amount of glare at night. It is basically a minor, minor halo around lights at night. Gradually it goes away (or you become used to it). Hardly a handicap. There is, however, a new Lasik machine that does not produce this side effect. Ask your doctor.

There is a very thorough screening before lasik in order to find out if you are a good candidate. I remember three or four separate times I had to go to my regular eye doctor and then to the lasik doctor - they do all kinds of crazy measurements and tests.

Find a doctor who has plenty of experience and you'll be in good hands. Afterwards you wonder why you waited so long. In the next decades, I think Lasik will become so perfected and the costs will go down so far that eye-glasses will become nearly obselete in the industrial nations.

Lasik only works for those who suffer from near-sightedness, of course.

Good luck :thumbup: 

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: best technological innovations in recent history... [Re: Xochitl]
    #1905987 - 09/11/03 04:30 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the info. I'm a little bit closer as a result.

:smile:

--------------------

InvisibleAutonomous
MysteriousStranger

Loc: U.S.S.A.
    #1906818 - 09/11/03 08:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Yes, I've had it done. Not much left to say about it that hasn't been covered by others. Except this, do not have wild ass animalistic sex the very next day. A friend of mine did this and since his eyes weren't yet healed he screwed up one of his eyes (the tissue moved because it hadn't 'knitted' ) and he had to go back for another round. I am VERY satisfied with the results and have not had any problems.

--------------------
"In religion and politics people's beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination."
-- Mark Twain

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: best technological innovations in recent history... [Re: Autonomous]
    #1906864 - 09/11/03 08:32 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the input.

--------------------

Offlinewingnutx
    #1932988 - 09/19/03 05:36 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I had LASIK last december. It worked like a charm. Just research the actual doctor that is going to do the procedure.

I shoot much better now, qual'd expert with m-16 finally :smile:

Edited by wingnutx (09/19/03 05:37 PM)

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Ontario, Canada
    #1933138 - 09/19/03 06:35 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The BC Vapourizer

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology