Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisiblepirate-blues
Female

Re: Cool stuff in Philadelphia [Re: drkkenny]
    #18986232 - 10/16/13 01:41 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

drkkenny said:
I was in Philly a week ago because my brother was graduating from Harvard, he attended classes there for 3 years and I knew it would be in bad taste for me not to show up especially since a year earlier my sister had graduated from highschool and I hadn't attended her seminar.

I know a place that recently opened and my friend suggested that we should eat there since the place is high class, it doesn't even allow certain people to enter, some people aren't allowed to come and if they do the owner will become extremely offended for his "inferiors" showing up to a place of such prestige.

There is also a competing restaurant across the st that been there for 3 years longer than this one, but rumor has it that the owner is planning on selling it to someone else. I remember when I went there I was tempted to walk over to the other restaurant and eat there instead, for, my friend seemed to make such a big deal about the other one that the one I was eating at seemed second rate and not worth my time, but I didn't leave since the owner said that if I left he would become upset that he lost a customer and gave me a free side order of French Fries which kept me loyal to his place.

The strange thing is that a week later someone called me and said that it was impossible that I ate at that restaurant, and that I must have made some mistake in informing people that I ate there for they said that that place never existed, so technically I ate at a place that had no real basis in reality...

I'm still trying to figure out how it was possible to eat at a place that didn't exist, did I dream up my meal? I don't know but I'm trying to untangle this confusion.

...Harvard in Philly?

You're flying a bit too far south here.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinethecazz723
Pharmacologist

Re: Cool stuff in Philadelphia [Re: pirate-blues]
    #18992680 - 10/17/13 07:46 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

pirate-blues said:
Check out Underground Arts too as far as venues, keep an eye on The Mann and who's playing there. I know Cat Power's coming to Underground Arts soon and Franz Ferdinand's at The Tower soon as well.

If you're in Center City there is stuff literally everywhere. I'd recommend checking out some of the satellite 'hoods too though, because you'll miss a lot. I would say make sure you check out West Philly/University City, The Northern Liberties and Fishtown(north philly), and Queen Village and East Passyunk(south philly),as well as all the hoods in Center City.

PHILAMOCA is always doing fun things, be it screenings of 2001: a space odyssey with drinks, concerts, art shows - it's right at 12th and Spring Garden, the former mausoleum showroom. It used to be Diplo's/Mad Decent's throwdown place and there's still a lot of things that go on there.
Another favorite art collective that usually puts on shows and bonfires at an industrial mill in Fishtown is Little Berlin - you can google both of those to see 

Head to Fishtown for drinking and fun things - JOHNNY BRENDAS, ftw, also Barcade(it is exactly what it sounds like), 700 club and I think the Barbary is a blast to dance at - it's kind of notorious for being uber hipster, but they play indie and punk music and often have live music to dance to instead of shitty top 40 stuff.

Philly's beer scene has kind of gone through the roof, and there are a couple breweries in the city you should definitely visit - Philadelphia Brewing Company is a dead giveaway.

Food:

Baltimore Avenue in West Philly, Ethiopian and indian food, Dock Street Brewery.

Marrakesh(google) the most intimate little 7 course Moroccan restaurant, you have to knock, it's off of South Street in the queen village area.

PYT for krispy kreme donut burgers and adult milkshakes.

There is upscale dining(steven starr has a shitload of restaurants in the city) everywhere, I would recommend finding some of the cozier little byobs.

Jose's Tacos(that one is reeeally off the beaten track, but worth it)

If you are there on the first Friday of November get your ass to Old City around 5-6ish, all the art galleries(and many outside that neighborhood as well) are open for free, they are usually giving out wine, there are street performers and all sorts of stuff going on for a few hours, and it's just a really interesting event and all the historic buildings in the backround make it super pretty to observe.

Quote:

mpd said:
Philly is like Detroit; neither worth the powder it would take to blow them all to hell.

blah blah blah, I seriously doubt you've been to Philly in the last decade or so then if you're spewing that shit. Make no mistake, Philly's got crime issues and it's a vaguely chaotic place to exist, but it's also got the third largest and most walkable downtown in the US after NYC and Chicago and it's got world class amenities in terms of music, art, and food.

OH YEA FIRST FRIDAY!  I forgot about that....we used to go when we were kids and drink the boxed wine they serve at the galleries!!

I looked online and I also saw this thing they have on first fridays of the month at the CHS (Chemical Heritage Society i think it's called) where Geeks go to Meet it said.  Me and my friend both have background in chemistry so we might check that out too.

Offlinefapjack
Title
 User Gallery

Loc: Central New Jersey
Re: Cool stuff in Philadelphia [Re: thecazz723]
    #18992993 - 10/17/13 08:49 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Go to the blockley if you like music and a cool atmosphere.  They usually have good music at least 1 day of the week.  The bars are a bit cheaper than NYC, but outside of going to see music, getting drunk, and eating good food (lots of good food in Philly) I don't know what else is to do there.  There are zoos and shit like that.  For music The Mann Center, Electric Factory, Union Transfer, etc.  Philly kids know how to party.

--------------------

Invisiblepirate-blues
Female

Re: Cool stuff in Philadelphia [Re: fapjack]
    #18993141 - 10/17/13 09:23 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I third the Blockley(fourth?), I've only been there once and it was for an EDM thing that admitted 18+ so the crowd was kinda meehhh, but it was a good night all the same!
I really hope you have a great return trip! I have never heard of the CHS thing, but I am definitely no chemistry extraordinaire :/, do it to it, man!

I would also recommend checking out the Ellen Powell Tiberino Musuem in West Philly - there's a traveling circus(legimately freaky side show stuff usually involving nudity with a man that hands out Oysters instead of popcorn), that comes 'round these parts called Carnivolution. I think they've packed up and gone on tour now, but I would recommend googling it and seeing if they have anything going on, especially if you're gonna be there on a weekend anyway.

Also, check out the Book Space in Fishtown! They used to throw jam sessions and parties and stuff in their book labyrinth, but apparently the secret after-hours stuff violated zoning laws(booooooo) and now they're just a regular book store/labyrinth and rehearsal space..still worth checking out though!

Also, there's a huge infamous "secret warehouse party" called Don't Step that always comes around this time of year. I don't really know if you're into that scene(or what you're into, really, I've just been spouting off nonsense that I like), but it's a pretty chilled out crowd. No one ever really knows when it's coming around and I haven't heard anything on it yet, but i will pm you details(and anyone else that wants 'em, it's definitely a worthwhile party for those of you who are close by) if it falls in the time frame that you're visiting.) Very informal, very large event.

Edited by pirate-blues (10/17/13 09:58 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom