Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineBoswell
greenhorn
 User Gallery

Dried P. Subaeruginosa IDing , substrate discussin' and dosage eyeballin' (pics)
    #18971613 - 10/13/13 10:08 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I dried some mushrooms a few months back during the Victorian Sub season. It was my first ever find, I didn't even hunt it so much as stumble upon it.

I was pretty sure they were legit, I took a spore print of a couple which turned a dark chocolate brown with highlights of purple which was promising.

The lack of significant bluing on some however led to some reservations. I had heard it rumored that psilocin content can vary depending on substrate, with pine chip substrate producing subs with less staining. Or perhaps it was just a nutrient poor area and they were prone to disease, there were a lot of aborts and half mature ones quickly to rot.

Previous post of finding
More from the same area

Below are some shots of them dry. It amounted to just over twenty in total. There are a couple of ones that I recall looking pretty well morphologically identical, and not growing directly out of wood, however without any visible bluing, one such mushrooms stem seems to have turned totally black through the drying process another had a faint tint of yellow on the stem which i ditched just in case.

Disregard the large white granules, it's just some dry rice which got stuck in the drying process.

(Click images to enlarge)

In closer detail:

(no bluing on this one)

So any thoughts? What's the verdict?

Also wondering whether there sufficient material here for a trip. I think I am getting a bit obsessive now and should just bite the bullet and lemon tek some. Should i toss the gnarlier ones? They don't smell bad but a few have dried black rot and have disintegrated a bit.

Curious to hear the opinions of fellow Shroomers, especially TIs and Aussie members.

--------------------
The fifth is Ishana, unknowable even to the seers

Edited by Boswell (10/14/13 03:53 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBoswell
greenhorn
 User Gallery

Re: Dried Subaeruginosa IDing , substrate discussin' and dosage eyeballin' (pics) [Re: Boswell]
    #18975155 - 10/14/13 03:39 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Any thoughts?

--------------------

Offlinebuddingshroomer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Macedon Victoria Flag
Re: Dried Subaeruginosa IDing , substrate discussin' and dosage eyeballin' (pics) [Re: Boswell]
    #18975277 - 10/14/13 04:49 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

It is incredibly difficult to effectively identify dried mushrooms. Having said that, they look good to me. I've picked and dried a lot of subs and that's exactly what they look like.

However I am not a trusted identifier so this is not a positive ID

good luck anyway

--------------------

Invisiblekarode13Facebook
Tāne Mahuta
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LV-426
Trusted Identifier
    #18975300 - 10/14/13 05:03 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

buddingshroomer said:
It is incredibly difficult to effectively identify dried mushrooms. Having said that, they look good to me. I've picked and dried a lot of subs and that's exactly what they look like.

Those are my thoughts too. I'm 99.9% confident that they're P.subaeruginosa. I have a few dried specimens in the herbarium identical to those.

There's also this picture of dried subs I took a few years back so people who are sold mushrooms can compare:

--------------------

OfflineBoswell
greenhorn
 User Gallery

Re: Dried Subaeruginosa IDing , substrate discussin' and dosage eyeballin' (pics) [Re: karode13]
    #18975495 - 10/14/13 06:59 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the input guys, its really appreciated.

These big boys (encircled in red) seem a bit darker with orangery tops, however I think they are genuine and its just unbridled paranoia.

I had acquired some subs last year via a source and they had been vacuumed sealed so still were in good shape in spite of retaining a bit of their water weight. The blue stripes on the stipe were very overt, almost electric blue.

Is there any rationale to my theory of nutrient poor substrate resulting in less bluing?

Also curious whether the amount pictured on the foil would be sufficient for a trip or whether i should store these and add them to next seasons bounty?

Should i remove the darker portions with clear signs of significant decay? Would be a pain if I give myself mild food poisoning and mistake it for amatoxin.

Ultimately the decision and responsibility lies with me, just wish I could man up and allay these fears. There is something spiritual about finding and picking your own entheogens and I stumbled upon them in a time of crisis, it felt like divine providence.

--------------------

OfflineTas75
Taswegian
 User Gallery

Loc: Tasmania
    #18977325 - 10/14/13 04:08 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Boswell,

Did you include those in your photo from the previous thread while they were fresh? If so they should be OK, the ones in your photos from the previous thread were 100% Psilocybe subaeruginosa.

If they were not, and you're worried they're too red, there's a chance they could be Leratiomyces, but those won't kill you or permanently maim you :wink:

OfflineBoswell
greenhorn
 User Gallery

Re: Dried Subaeruginosa IDing , substrate discussin' and dosage eyeballin' (pics) [Re: Tas75]
    #18981202 - 10/15/13 12:47 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

I ran into tons of Leratiomyces last winter, nature strips and parks were practically Leratiomyces outdoor galleries. I am very confident in my ability to distinguish between the two.

My greatest concern is the wood-lover hunter's boogeyman- Galerina.

I believe all those present were photographed fresh as well as dried but its a bit difficult to match them up in their dried state.

Might sound nuts, but I think I will be investing in some activated carbon just in case I run into some GI difficulties the following day.

Still wondering whether this would be enough for a trip. Should I take the subject to another more relevant board?

Thanks and good karma to all those who have helped me in this thread, it's something of a threshold to cross ingesting what you pick for the first time.

--------------------

OfflineTas75
Taswegian
 User Gallery

Loc: Tasmania
    #18981502 - 10/15/13 02:05 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

It would be enough for a trip when they were fresh, not sure now that they're dry.

Galerina patagonica from forests are outwardly similar to Psilocybe subaeruginosa, have a look at my photos in last year's Tassie thread. Galerina marginata from woodchips are fairly different, in my experience around Hobart at least.

OfflineBoswell
greenhorn
 User Gallery

Re: Dried Subaeruginosa IDing , substrate discussin' and dosage eyeballin' (pics) [Re: Tas75]
    #18984975 - 10/16/13 06:24 AM (10 years, 5 months ago)

Great info.

Those Galerina patagonica are sneaky looking, the remnants of the partial veil are subtle. It seems many Galerina species have a slightly scaly and translucent stipe, whereas the sub stipe seems more solid looking and grainy.

Galerina marginata is the main villain I have heard of, however there don't seem to be many posts of it being found in woodchip beds, all supposed sightings out side of forests seem to turn out being Pholiotina or Stropharia which look more distinct.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18390731#18390731

Can't wait till next autumn, I'll be spending most free time romping about documenting various genera. I am very green to this mycology business but I feel a strong urgency to educate my friends, in spite of their history of hunting they had never even heard of spore printing.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck