Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
All US Air Passengers to be Profiled, and 1% Will be Banned
    #1898385 - 09/09/03 03:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Found this posted on a blog, from Yahoo.

The complete article is a bit long, so here's a short excerpt:
Quote:

The new Transportation Security Administration system seeks to probe deeper into each passenger's identity than is currently possible, comparing personal information against criminal records and intelligence information. Passengers will be assigned a color code -- green, yellow or red -- based in part on their city of departure, destination, traveling companions and date of ticket purchase.

Most people will be coded green and sail through. But up to 8 percent of passengers who board the nation's 26,000 daily flights will be coded "yellow" and will undergo additional screening at the checkpoint, according to people familiar with the program. An estimated 1 to 2 percent will be labeled "red" and will be prohibited from boarding. These passengers also will face police questioning and may be arrested.

The system "will provide protections for the flying public," said TSA spokesman Brian Turmail. "Not only should we keep passengers from sitting next to a terrorist, we should keep them from sitting next to wanted ax murderers."

There were some interesting comments in the blog too:

Quote:

For example, if we assume that terrorists are 0.1% of the population, and we have a profile that is 99% accurate-- meaning, in 100 applications of the test, it gives one positive result-- what this actually means is that for every 1000 people tested, you'll finger 10 people, but only one of them will be a terrorist.

Now, Miami-Dade saw, on an average weekend in 2001, 100,000 passengers per day. (BTW-- that made it the 12th largest airport in the US in passengers per day in 2001.) Assuming 1.5% "positive" result rate, that's 1,500 people per day detained and possible arrested.

At one airport.

On one day.

Quote:

1-2% of the passengers of 26,000 daily flights. Assuming an average of 100 passengers per plane (which is probably low), we're looking at around 9.5 million red flags a year.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: All US Air Passengers to be Profiled, and 1% Will be Banned [Re: Edame]
    #1898393 - 09/09/03 03:57 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have no problem with this whatsoever assuming it is true.

InvisibleMOTH
Wild Woman
 User Gallery

Loc: In the jungle
Re: All US Air Passengers to be Profiled, and 1% Will be Banned [Re: Edame]
    #1898582 - 09/09/03 04:47 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I heard about this on the news.  I don't agree with it, as I worry that it will be abused.  Like most things.  :frown: 

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: All US Air Passengers to be Profiled, and 1% Will be Banned [Re: MOTH]
    #1899364 - 09/09/03 07:52 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I'm all for it, and as EllemyshShade mentioned only if it's not abused....which it would like all good intentioned government programs.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
Re: All US Air Passengers to be Profiled, and 1% Will be Banned [Re: Innvertigo]
    #1899419 - 09/09/03 08:00 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

arbitrary power without checks and balances is
dangerous business.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion