Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
RIAA sue 12 year old girl
    #1898088 - 09/09/03 12:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This has been widely reported today, but I like The Register's take on it:

Quote:

The RIAA sees the face of evil, and it's a 12-year-old girl
By Ashlee Vance in Chicago
Posted: 09/09/2003 at 13:54 GMT

The RIAA has nailed one of the most prolific file-traders in the U.S., filing a lawsuit against 12-year-old Brianna LaHara.

When not at the playground with her friends, "Biggie Brianna" is trading music files from her home in New York. The little girl received one of the 261 lawsuits filed by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America) on Monday, according to the New York Post. She may look like a sweet and innocent child, but the RIAA says it's only going after major copyright violators at the moment. So you make the call.

"I got really scared. My stomach is all turning," Brianna told the Post. "I thought it was OK to download music because my mom paid a service fee for it. Out of all people, why did they pick me?"

It turns out that Brianna's mum paid a $29.99 service charge to KaZaA for the company's music service. Brianna, however, thought this meant she could download songs at will. How naive!

When reporters charged into Brianna's home, she was helping her brother with some homework. She is an honors student at St. Gregory the Great school.

Brianna could face charges of up to $150,000 per infringed song, but we have a feeling this might be a tad unrealistic. We suggest the RIAA take all of her toys instead.

"Nobody likes playing the heavy and having to resort to litigation," RIAA president Cary Sherman said in a statement. "But when your product is being regularly stolen, there comes a time when you have to take appropriate action."

Go get her, Cary.

The BBC are also reporting that a 71 year old grandfather is also about to be sued into oblivion by the RIAA too.

Perhaps they'd like to alienate their customers even more by pushing for the death penalty or something.  :smirk: 

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: RIAA sue 12 year old girl [Re: Edame]
    #1898101 - 09/09/03 12:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This is getting out of hand.

InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
    #1898104 - 09/09/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

$150,000 per SONG!!!!??

WTF is that!

I costs less to make the track and sell a million copies! That is complete bullshit. Its not as if the accused are making profit from it.

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: RIAA sue 12 year old girl [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1898112 - 09/09/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

They won't be getting anywhere close to that per song. I would bet all of the cases are settled out of court. While I see both sides of this, they do have a right to protect their property, no?

Patty Poacher

Re: RIAA sue 12 year old girl [Re: shakta]
    #1898132 - 09/09/03 12:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Absolutely, BUT. If I were to steal a CD of yours, could you realistically sue me for $150,000?

The trading war they face is Massive. The RIAA needs to adopt a better way to market their media, rather than punish people for finding cheaper (illegal) alternatives.

How about cutting the cost of a CD in half. I would pay $10 for a CD, not near $20.

If your an artist, you should be in it for the art. Unfortunately this is not usually the case these days. But hey, if you have to go on tour to make your money, then thats what you have to do. People work hard to buy your albums, and go to your shows, you better work hard too.

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1898157 - 09/09/03 12:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Biggie Brianna"? She must be truly evil to have a nickname like that!

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1898170 - 09/09/03 12:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I am playing devil's advocate here a bit. Truthfully artists make most of their money touring, not from CD sales. The move by Universal I believe last week to limit their CD price to $12.95 is a move in the right direction. I think if the RIAA put up a website with every song possible for $1 a pop, they would make billions.

Patty Poacher

#1898189 - 09/09/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah for sure it would.  I imagine my collection on my hard drive would cost me several thousand dollars :smile:

But I think they actually do it now.  75cents a song or somthing.

Is this going to be an ongoing thing where they randomly pick out a few hundred people ever couple of months or are they planning to up the witch hunt?

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1898206 - 09/09/03 01:02 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No clue. I think thus far they are trying to make examples out of the 'big' offenders. I think it is probably working for them to some extent. I, for example, quit downloading as soon as I heard about the possibility of the first suits.

Patty Poacher

#1898226 - 09/09/03 01:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

yeah i quit dling from kazaa anyway. Did all of the ISPs give in or what?

I remember that Verision was in the spotlight for the whole deal, and i notice that the girl is from NY (verision land.) RIAA was also going after Comcast i believe. No word on Time warner/AOL.

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1898230 - 09/09/03 01:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There was a rather long thread here about downloading music. My take is it's stealing. Some disagreed.

I feel the answer is the system Apple came up with where there is no membership fee but you pay per song. It's 0.99 per song. I see this as cheap when often after you buy a CD you find most of the songs suck.

iTunes by Apple.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineAmanita_Muscaria
Red red red

Loc: Norway
Re: RIAA sue 12 year old girl [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1898284 - 09/09/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

150 000 per song? Then they could sue my ass for 5.476.050.000 dollars.. ..if I lived in the states. :smile:

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: RIAA sue 12 year old girl [Re: Amanita_Muscaria]
    #1898289 - 09/09/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

We had a post that had our RIAA lawsuit totals a while back. Needless to say, most people here will never make the money they would have owed in their entire lifetimes.

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1898324 - 09/09/03 01:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It's probably safer to steal the actual CD's from record stores.

I'm starting to look at this a lot like prohibition. People know that copyright infringement is illegal, but they just don't give a fuck and do it anyway. The RIAA can't hope to stop this, widespread encrypted P2P is just around the corner.

Hopefully large lawsuits like this will draw attention to the ridiculous state of current IP laws.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1898362 - 09/09/03 01:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think the laws are ridiculous. If you create something, you should be paid for it.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1898398 - 09/09/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

People should boycott music by the RIAA.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: RIAA sue 12 year old girl [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1898419 - 09/09/03 02:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Why?

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1898483 - 09/09/03 02:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It's hardly that simple (and about 57 million Americans may disagree with you).  Do you think that $150,000 is fair compensation to an artist who has had a single song 'stolen'?  Do you think the artists will actually see a dime from the RIAA?  Do you think you should have to pay to sing 'Happy Birthday' at every party you attend?  How about girl scouts being told they could be sued for singing songs around the campfire?

Do you think that we would have half of our literary and musical classics if IP laws had existed then as they do today?  How could anyone be creative if every song and story ever written was covered by some corporation's copyright?  Just about anything created has been derived or inspired by something else.  How can that continue with ever increasing copyright extensions?

I agree with supporting and paying an artist for their work, which is why I stopped buying mainstream CD's and buy directly from the artists who sell through stores like CDBaby.com.  The last CD I bought I got an email from the artist, who took the time to thank me for buying it.  I was more than pleased. :smile:

What I disagree with is corporate entities (who by definition have no lifetime, unlike an actual artist) trying to copyright every idea and process in order to extort money from people. 

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1898497 - 09/09/03 02:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I still disagree with you. The possible, yet unlikely $150,000 fines are there to discourage theft. It is that simple. Just because 57 million people steal does not make it right. I know you hate all big companies, but they have a right to profit from there products.

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1898508 - 09/09/03 02:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

So how do you feel about prohibition then? Were millions of Americans 'wrong' to illegally drink just because it was against the letter of the law?

I never said I hate all big* companies, so generalisations like that do you no favours. What right exactly do they have to profit from their products? I know of no such right, perhaps you could explain?

*edit

--------------------

Edited by Edame (09/09/03 02:28 PM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale