Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose
    #1895111 - 09/08/03 04:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

http://www.dfw.com/mld/startelegram/news/state/6700652.htm

Posted on Fri, Sep. 05, 2003

Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose
Associated Press

FORT WORTH, Texas - A mother has received a 15-year prison sentence for using heroin with her 15-year-old daughter hours before the teen died of an overdose.

Jurors deliberated about 10 hours over three days before sentencing Debra Gatlin Clair, 49, who wiped her eyes with a tissue and solemnly turned to her family seated in the courtroom after state District Judge Wayne Salvant read the verdict.

Clair's sentence marks the first time in Tarrant County that someone has been tried and convicted for providing drugs to someone who overdosed.

"I hope a message is sent to the community at large that parents shouldn't do drugs with their children," said lead prosecutor Mitch Poe. "If they do and we can prove it, we will put them to trial for it."

According to trial testimony, Clair, her daughter Tiffany and Bradley Ray Waltermire, the son of Clair's ex-boyfriend, shot heroin at Clair's apartment on May 3, 2001. About a week before that, Tiffany had been released from a mental hospital, where she was treated for drug addiction and attempting suicide.

At some point, Waltermire went home, but he called Clair a short time later, asking her to come get him. Clair said she tried to wake her daughter but left anyway.

When Clair and Waltermire returned, Tiffany was dead.

Last week, the jury convicted Clair of manslaughter for recklessly causing her daughter's death. Jurors determined that she injected her daughter with the drug, assisted with or encouraged the injection, or failed to seek reasonable medical care after she realized that her daughter had ingested a dangerous substance.

Clair's relatives hoped she would receive probation instead of jail time so she could enter a drug rehabilitation program to help her kick a 30-year drug addiction.

"I just wanted her to get some help," Sherry Kiefer, Clair's sister, told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.

Clair must serve one-fourth of her sentence - about three years and seven months - before she becomes eligible for parole.

Waltermire, 23, has also been charged with manslaughter in the teen's death and remains free on bail awaiting trial.

--------------------
http://heffter.org

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: motaman]
    #1895193 - 09/08/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: LiL_KuSsH]
    #1895365 - 09/08/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"I hope a message is sent to the community at large that parents shouldn't do drugs with their children," said lead prosecutor Mitch Poe. "If they do and we can prove it, we will put them to trial for it."

There's plenty of fathers who take their son to the pub at age 18 for a beer and yet alcoholism pales the damages opiates do in society. Neither drug I partake of.

As for the story, as sad as it is that a junkie mother was the undoing of her daughter's life, the sentence is way too harsh.

Look at how American parents introduce their children to guns -- as that's the culture in the US -- where a number get killed by gun accidents.

Death by misadventure in any sense is a tragedy, yet the WOD hysteria in the US sure sexes up the $pin if there's drugs involved.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Loc: SE united states
Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: Starter]
    #1895556 - 09/08/03 06:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

people teaching their children gun safety and hunting isn't a bad thing. it's better than not teaching kids anything about guns then when they encounter one at a freinds house it's such a mystical exotic thing they can't help themselves good education is the key.
as for that stupid whore giving her daughter smack she should never see the light of day again this is supposed to be a free country so if you want to hurt yur self you should be able to but hurt your kids and thats a different matter altogether i pesonally hope the stupid bitch dies

--------------------
anything i might say is just something i heard from the voices in my head
uneasy1

Anonymous

#1895561 - 09/08/03 06:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There's plenty of fathers who take their son to the pub at age 18 for a beer and yet alcoholism pales the damages opiates do in society. Neither drug I partake of.

taking an adult to a bar is a hell of alot different than mainlining narcotics with a child.

As for the story, as sad as it is that a junkie mother was the undoing of her daughter's life, the sentence is way too harsh.

i disagree.

Look at how American parents introduce their children to guns -- as that's the culture in the US -- where a number get killed by gun accidents.

shooting guns and shooting heroin are two totally, completely different things, for so many reasons.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: ]
    #1895833 - 09/08/03 08:23 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't think we have enough information to be able to conclude that the sentence was appropriate. If the mother did in fact force it upon the child, then fine - lock her up for life. But I have my doubts, I'm sure the daughter had her own ideas and may have even asked for the dose.

My first impression was that 15 years sounded harsh.. but like I said, I'm not so sure we can draw accurate conclusions here.

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: geokills]
    #1895877 - 09/08/03 08:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

so your saying it's ok to give smack to a fifteen year old if they ask for it what kind of shit is that man if it was an adult doing smack with their mother i'd be disgusted but i wouldn't have anything to say about it but a 15 year old is different i personally think anyone who supplies drugs to minors should be penalised to the max and then some there is just no excuse for it

if you give smack to a kid you need to be smacked  :evil:

uneasy1  :mad:

--------------------
uneasy1

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: uneasyone]
    #1896630 - 09/09/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

uneasyone, please learn to read. I did not say it was ok to give smack to a 15 year old so cease trying to put such words in my mouth.

Yes, I agree to your point that anyone who supplies drugs to minors is way out of line. That's not acceptable.

Mushmaster, as for alcohol, well it is often viewed as a "happy social lubricant", try arguing that given the social disaster it is on the social fabric of indigenous communities, not to mention wider Australian family life. Thus, taking an 18yo to the bar can be a disaster in the making. What floats about your way may not be the same where I am. Do you have any idea how much of an alcohol problem there is in Australia? Opiates kill about 400 people in Australia a year, alcohol kills over 3000 and tobacco near 20,000. Alcohol is by far the biggest family wrecker of all susbtances.

As for the guns issue, if you're American, well you probably won't agree with me, as it's a cultural thing. I'm in Australia, guns are generally scorned, many makes/models of guns are illegal (10 years prison), so the population isn't armed and the general view in Australia is teaching kids how to use guns is simply not on, not unless you're rural (depends too on make/model). Anything like the NRA would be viewed as some hillbilly redneck outfit in Australia and quickly squashed by the authorities.

To the sentence given, had the death of the daughter been an accidental gun death, it would be water off a duck's back US side. If it was in Australia (depends on circumstances) but there'd probably be an uproar, esp. if it were a handgun (as such are illegal).

But in a country where drugs are seen as the greatest taboo then the hysteria is insane (at least from an Australian view point). Will the US ever set up safe injecting rooms or a free heroin trial? Australia is doing the former, the latter has been proposed and it will eventually happen, despite the US WOD pressures. Very different view in Australia (far more liberal), must piss Washington DC off. Tough.

I'll just have to accept that the US mind-set is not the same as here as you will vice-versa. :smile:     

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Offlineuneasyone
tokin theMacGyver bong

#1897358 - 09/09/03 06:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

look man i think adults should be able to do pretty much what they want as long as they don't hurt anyone else in the process. i just have a problem with people trying destroy the lives of children before they even have a chance to live. i don't care if they do ask for it we as adults can't help the kids hurt themselves thats just fucked up . sorry if i pissed anyone off but i've seen to many kids get fucked up in the same manner as above. thats all i have to say about this matter.

uneasy1

--------------------
uneasy1

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1897401 - 09/09/03 07:17 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

> "I hope a message is sent to the community at large that parents shouldn't do drugs with their children," said lead prosecutor Mitch Poe. "If they do and we can prove it, we will put them to trial for it."

Yep... losing a child isn't enough... we are really going to pound the pain into you and toss you in jail for a good portion of your life as well...

> if you're American, well you probably won't agree with me

I agree with you, for the most part. I have no problem with people keeping a shotgun for home protection, or a rifle for hunting, but I am against military class weapons or hand guns for the public.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlineemanonx
a beautiful girlcan turn yourworld to dust
Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: Seuss]
    #1897531 - 09/09/03 08:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post Deleted @ User's Request

OfflineHans_Moleman
????

Loc: Canadia
Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: emanonx]
    #1898624 - 09/09/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

you need a licence to do any thing these days.....

but any trash-whore can have a baby.....

--------------------
One of the reasons marijuana is illegal today because growers in the 30s lobbied against hemp farmers -- they saw it as competition, because It is not chemically addictive as is nicotine, alcohol, or caffeine.

Anonymous

Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: motaman]
    #1898633 - 09/09/03 03:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thats sick. Fifteen years aint enough for people like her.

Anonymous

Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: uneasyone]
    #1898821 - 09/09/03 03:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

uneasyone said:

if you give smack to a kid you need to be smacked  :evil:

uneasy1  :mad:

isn't that what smack dealers do in the 1st place......look for kids to get em hooked while they are:
1/ young
2/ naive
3/ depressed
4/ uneducated
5/ lonely 

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: ]
    #1900008 - 09/09/03 08:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've had dealings with many people involved in the various levels of the drug distribution system here in the USA. I have yet to meet anyone who looks for young people to push drugs on. Lets face it the market is pretty big. I think you've spent a little too much time in the DARE program.  :smirk:

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
Re: Mother sentenced to 15 years for daughter's overdose [Re: motaman]
    #1908096 - 09/12/03 12:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well if the girl asked for it and her mom knew she would do it anyways it would be the wise idea to provide a safe atmosphere. Although she didnt manage to do that but if it was her intention than its better than letting the girl do it with a bunch of smacked out 40 yr old males that are going to rape her and shit like that. Although I dont think anyone should be doinh those kind of drugs. If your all fucked up like that you should not bring a child into the world its wrong!

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale