Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Positive affirmations
    #1896216 - 09/08/03 10:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

My friend was telling me how somebody recommended postive affirmations to her and she was sceptical so anyway, she was getting a new bank card and she decided to tell herself that she would get a pin number that was really easy to remember. Anyway when the pin came it was 1111. So I had a go telling myself "my life is rich and fulfilling" and damned if I didn't have the most rich and fulfilling period of my life. Then I stopped saying it, and it became less rich and fulfilling. Anyone else had any experiences with this? I am going to get pummelled by the sceptics now.

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: Positive affirmations [Re: enotake2]
    #1896321 - 09/08/03 10:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I am going to get pummelled by the sceptics now.

*Opens door.* In walks Swami. Bwa ha ha ha!!!!!!!

Seriously, I suspect it's true, but I can't prove it and don't have much experience with it. If you can get those thoughts to penetrate into the subconscious I do think they would have an effect. I just got finished reading a book called "Three Magic Words" that go into this quite a bit. I haven't really digested it yet so I'm afraid I can't speak to it. Maybe I will do some experimenting with it and report back.

Film at eleven..

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1896353 - 09/08/03 10:40 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Should I start the Swami Positive Affirmation Challenge? We can all affirm that we will receive a shiny new, red Ferrari within 3 months and then at the end of the time period we can tally up the cars.

Too difficult? Probably half or more of us wear glasses. Let's all affirm that our eyesight is improving daily then share our latest optometric eye test to show the fantastic improvement.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Edited by Swami (09/08/03 11:59 PM)

Offlineenotake2
Stop Bush's war
 User Gallery

Loc: Comfy chair in my lounger...
Re: Positive affirmations [Re: Swami]
    #1896542 - 09/08/03 11:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, my affirmation that I was going to be pummelled by the sceptics came true....

--------------------
Computer games don't affect kids. I mean if Pacman affected our generation as kids, we'd all be running around in a darkened room, munching pills and listening to repetitive electronic music.

"Being bitter and hateful is like drinking a vial of poison and hoping the other person gets sick" FreakQLibrium

"My motto from here on out is: If someone or something (including me) in my life is conducting themselves in such a way that they can be seen on Jerry Springer, it's time to take out the garbage!!! When you stop taking their behaviour personally and see their antics as a true reflection on their character, it becomes absolutely nauseating." Anon. on abusive relationships.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1896551 - 09/08/03 11:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Positive affirmations work because our thoughts create our reality.

Every thought is imprinted onto the subconscious. Make them fulfilling and your mind will strive to reach the goal.

May I suggest Psycho-Cybernetics, a book which deals with this very issue in a very enlightening manner.

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896571 - 09/08/03 11:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

skeptics are demonstrations of positive affirmations in progress

only opposite

they keep looking for faults and they find them!

I beleive that positive words are very very good for you

St. Francis of Assisi would say

"Lord, make me an instrument of thy peace"

chanting positive words is an important part of every religion and pagan tradition... it reminds you of your virtues and you will definitely remember them if they are in your mind.

I think you have to put heart into it though...which would you feel more;

"I want a hot-rod i want a hot-rod"

"I want people to not suffer so much"

i think the intensity of heart you put into it is valuable..

material posessions dont really make us happy or fulfilled so making affirmations about them is kind of like asking for candy when we are dying of thirst

--------------------
I&I

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: Positive affirmations *DELETED* [Re: enotake2]
    #1896572 - 09/09/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by CleverName

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Positive affirmations [Re: Shroomism]
    #1896575 - 09/09/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:

Every thought is imprinted onto the subconscious. Make them fulfilling and your mind will strive to reach the goal.

May I suggest Psycho-Cybernetics, a book which deals with this very issue in a very enlightening manner.

never heard of the book but I agree with what you said so I might check that out, thanks.

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896580 - 09/09/03 12:01 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Uh huh. More parroting from a book. If positive affirmations are so darn powerful and you are speaking from experience, why is your living situation currently so precarious?

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896587 - 09/09/03 12:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you call that pummeling then you have led a very sheltered life. :smile: 

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896594 - 09/09/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Because I made it that way. And then I changed it. See, I was doing negative affirmations for a long while, and my reality reflected it like a charm. I changed my attitude, and my life changed.

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Positive affirmations [Re: CleverName]
    #1896596 - 09/09/03 12:06 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

CleverName said:
Everything you do makes a difference. Every thought you think, every comment you make, every action you take, in some way will change things for you and your world.

You move through life, leaving consequences in your wake. And the quality of life is determined largely by the nature of those consequences. Even the smallest things make a difference. And those small things can quickly add up.

That's why your attitude and your outlook on life truly matter so much. Because they have a powerful influence over what kind of difference you are making, in the big decisions and the small ones too.

See the world as a beautiful place, filled with positive possibilities. And without even realizing it, your actions, your thoughts, your consequences will take on the color of that positive perspective.

Everything, every moment, every person, every stirring in your heart matters. Let yourself love and value life, and be overjoyed at the positive difference that each of your moments can make.

Very wise words.

I remember a holy man or woman who was saying that the wake behind the boat does not make it go

so what you are saying is on point... although we do leave a wake behind us, our "attitude and your outlook on life truly matter so much." (CleverName said that)

or others say that all we can affect is the now, not the past or the future...

Positive Affirmations are english translations to ancient Mantras (divine syllables and names of god) or Hebrew chanting, good reggae music

to remind ourselfs of our beleifs is definitely motivation to correct our mistakes and overcome obstacles! food for the soul

--------------------
I&I

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896602 - 09/09/03 12:08 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Swami said:

Uh huh. More parroting from a book. If positive affirmations are so darn powerful and you are speaking from experience, why is your living situation currently so precarious?

you know this guy personally swami? there exists people out there breathing the same air we do, who have pure minds and are free from precarious living

mantra japa swami, mantra japa (positive affirmations)

--------------------
I&I

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896608 - 09/09/03 12:10 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
Because I made it that way. And then I changed it. See, I was doing negative affirmations for a long while, and my reality reflected it like a charm. I changed my attitude, and my life changed.

so true! our minds always look for faults and because of that we identify ourselfs as mistake makers

but most all of the scriptures teach us that there is no sin, only obstacles we create for ourselfs... and they also tell us to identify ourselfs with god. lose our personal history...
people who say "im going to hell anyways" continue to make mistakes but mistakes are ment to be learned from !

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896609 - 09/09/03 12:10 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I guess all 3000 WTC victims were practicing negative affirmations at the same time then...

If positive affirmations actually worked, it would be easy to design a large-scale objective test to validate. Of course no one will participate (negative affirmation).

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896628 - 09/09/03 12:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Mantra Japa Swami, Mantra Japa.

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896637 - 09/09/03 12:20 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I thought I was a victim...boo hoo.. woe is me.. feh!
There are no victims.

Here's a test.. tell yourself everyday when you wake up, that you are stupid, ugly, worthless, and not worthy of living. Then report how you feel after a week or two.

Affirmations have nothing to do with what material things you can manifest or not.. it has to do with your own thoughts, and how you choose to project them onto the external world. If you want a shiny new ferrari.. then you'll work and save to afford one. However, in order to do that, you need to affirm that you are capable of it. Your thought creates your reality.

If I sit in the dark all day, feeling bad about myself, and telling myself I am full of hatred and despair, and everyone hates me, and there is no way out.. I think the chances of my becoming a successful person is lowered significantly.

Death and the karmic cycle, has little to nothing to do with personal affirmations which imprint thought patterns on the subconscious mind.

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896646 - 09/09/03 12:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

amen.

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896671 - 09/09/03 12:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Here's a test.. tell yourself everyday when you wake up, that you are stupid, ugly, worthless, and not worthy of living. Then report how you feel after a week or two.

Strawman argument. Altering your mood through psychological self-abuse is NOT the same as altering physical events with a mere "positive" thought.

--------------------

Invisibleenacid
solid funk
a [Re: Swami]
    #1896681 - 09/09/03 12:34 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

a

Edited by enacid (08/16/08 12:15 PM)

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896685 - 09/09/03 12:38 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That wasn't an argument.. and I don't think it was made from straw.

Positive thought creates positive actions creates changes in physical events, and vica versa.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896690 - 09/09/03 12:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you want a shiny new ferrari.. then you'll work and save to afford one. However, in order to do that, you need to affirm that you are capable of it. Your thought creates your reality.

If I do positive affirmations and diligent research and decide to invest $50K in a stock, then find out the company "cooked its books" and is filing for bankruptcy, I can kiss my Ferrari down payment good-bye. The corporate frauds are unaffected by my affirmations nor are my affirmations an amulet to prevent me from picking such a company.

Likewise, I can whine and grumble and hate life and pick a stock that doubles within a month enabling me to put that down payment on the Ferrari.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Positive affirmations [Re: Rastafari]
    #1896698 - 09/09/03 12:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

True we are onley victims if we choose to be. I used to always say I want this and I want that. How am I supposed to be happy if I am always wanting something. So for a while I have been saying I am thankful for this or I am glad that I have that. Just being happy with what I got put my mind at ease. Vanity is a bad thing seems to be a big problem on this planet.

Anonymous

#1896701 - 09/09/03 12:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

True we are onley victims if we choose to be. I used to always say I want this and I want that. How am I supposed to be happy if I am always wanting something. So for a while I have been saying I am thankful for this or I am glad that I have that. Just being happy with what I got put my mind at ease. Vanity is a bad thing seems to be a big problem on this planet.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Positive affirmations [Re: enacid]
    #1896704 - 09/09/03 12:44 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

what if you just dont believe its true, can the repetuare of action make have any effect? i dont believe it would

If you don't believe its true.. then more power to you. But chances are if you are telling yourself something about yourself, you're going to believe it. Better make it positive or neutral. It is thought, not action. Action begins as thought.

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896715 - 09/09/03 12:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you do positive affirmations about the stock market then something is wrong with you  :tongue: Besides, isn't 50k enough for a down payment?

Affirmations change your thought patterns, not the stock market's. 

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1896717 - 09/09/03 12:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hmmm... quit with the reality already!
I think positive all the time, but only for my own sanity. I know it doesn't bring me positive experiences... yet I still choose to look on the bright side. It really helps me, psychologically.

Let's sum up the last two years of my life:
My roommate attempted to kill me, my injuries forced me to take several incompletes, my graduation was postponed, I couldn't take an admission test on time due to my courseload and makeup work for the incompletes, my scores came back too late for me to apply to most grad. schools, I was arrested on bogus charges (which weren't dropped until just over a month ago), the bogus charges qualified me as a "security risk" and kept me from getting a badass job with the health department, the one grad. school (with a later applicatin deadline) I was able to apply to screwed up my paperwork so I wasn't accepted because the deadline had passed before they got my shit straight, then my father dies in a motor vehicle accident, then one of my best friends develops a serious substance abuse problem and I am the one who convinced his parents to Baker Act him.

Through all this and more (I'm leaving out personal details that make it even more insane), I attribute my sanity to my optimism. Sure, thinking positive won't repel painful experiences, but it does wonders for the mind.

P.S. I am not seeking pity, this is merely MY anecdotal evidence that supports the notion that positive thinking has its merits.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896739 - 09/09/03 12:56 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Positive thought creates positive actions creates changes in physical events, and vica versa.

Let's clarify then. Do you believe that a mere thought can change a physical outcome? The original poster wrote a nebulous anecdote about an "easy to remember" number. Positive action would have nothing to do with that result. If I have a positive attitude when playing sports, that makes sense that I will have better winning chance as I will be more relaxed physically and be able to move more fluidly, but what about totally disconnected events?

Let's say you meet me in Vegas and we both bet equal amounts on a game of luck such as craps. You are upbeat, happy and positive while I whine about being a loser. We both make the same number and amount of bets. Do you feel that you would win while I would lose or would the result be TOTALLY random?

--------------------

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #1896742 - 09/09/03 12:57 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Now I really don't know if they would allow the pin number 1111. that's crazy.

I think the positive attitude is IMHO the best mindset. It would also make sense to me that if someone actually realizes that their life could be rich and fulfilling, that their "outlook" and experience in life will be as such. I mean, just to come as far to have that kind of thought will yield great results because that person is really enjoying life. to have that spark is wonderful and its too bad a lot of other people don't think this way. Besides, a positive attitude is good for motivation, is it not?

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Positive affirmations [Re: Sclorch]
    #1896744 - 09/09/03 12:58 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yes! To face adversity with optimism is to overcome it more readily.
Wallowing in your sorrows won't get you there faster.
Life challenges will always present themselves to us.. we choose how to deal with them and come out of them and with what attitude. You can go through hell and back with few scars with the right thoughts.

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896758 - 09/09/03 01:01 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Sclorch had a dream to someday meet the Swamster in person and it came true.

Swamiji had a dream to someday meet the Sclorcherator in person and it came true.

Proof positive of holding onto your dream. :heartpump: 

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896763 - 09/09/03 01:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Do you believe that a mere thought can change a physical outcome?

Perhaps, anything is possible. I'm open to the possibility of such a circumstance.

Let's say you meet me in Vegas and we both bet equal amounts on a game of luck such as craps. You are upbeat, happy and positive while I whine about being a loser. We both make the same number and amount of bets. Do you feel that you would win while I would lose or would the result be TOTALLY random?

Well, I don't gamble. But let's say I did.. I don't think my attitude would have much to do with the roll of a dice. (random) Telekinesis, now that's another story  :wink:

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896814 - 09/09/03 01:19 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Someday the Swam and the Shroom will meet as well, and the lion will lay down with the lamb (no gay or beastiality jokes here folks - I am being serious!)

--------------------

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896852 - 09/09/03 01:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

In case you forgot, we already met, on the astral plane, several times.

But yes... the physical realm. Soon. My band will go on tour, and LA will be one stop.

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896885 - 09/09/03 01:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

all is one

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896894 - 09/09/03 01:42 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

alone
all one

--------------------

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

#1896920 - 09/09/03 01:49 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Kool-Aid
Koo-Laid

--------------------

OfflineRastafari
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1896949 - 09/09/03 01:56 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the time is 1:08

exactly how many distances of the circumference of the sun away from the earth is

1 0 8

--------------------
I&I

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #1896976 - 09/09/03 02:06 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've got uranium in my cranium

--------------------

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
    #1897937 - 09/09/03 11:33 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've got uranium in my cranium

Is a radioactive brain positive or negative affirmation?

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1898855 - 09/09/03 04:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Your thoughts DEFINITELY decide how you look at things. Intentions are very powerful. Intending that you will receive a Ferrarri alone doesn't work, but having the intention of having a Ferrarri AND taking action towards getting a Ferrarri is definitely going to be more productive..

Can't get a date with a woman, sitting home and watching televison, with no shower, just by thinking that you will.. (although it is definitely possible, some lady walks by your window, sees you, and comes up and asks you out.. you didn't have to do anything!). You definitely have to do your part, too.

However, telling yourself over and over that you have a rich and fufilling life is definitely going to bring about change that makes your life rich and fufilling. Either you will just find that it always has been, or continously thinking it will subconsciously bring you to make changes that make it more fufilling.

I mean, let's say that you basically keep to yourself at home, and that you are uncomfortable in public situations. Sure, staying at home and being cut off from society must feel comfortable and secure, that is why you are doing it. Hhmm.. let's start telling ourselves that we ARE comfortable being around new people or during public outings. Continously repeating it.

Our programming is such that we are exposed to different situations, have thoughts on it, and a belief structure is basically constructed (isn't this simple, of course, gotta summarize so I can get some sleep..). Repacing whatever thoughts that keep us isolated and secure away from people with more positive thoughts that open us up will work. It takes a lot of effort and determination, but it is well worth it..

Some people can sit in front of a camera that broadcasts their face to millions of people, and it feels natural to them, they don't even begin to worry about what it is they are saying.. some can stand on a stage and play their guitar in front of the eyes of thousands that came soley to see them, with no sweat (except from the lights and the jumping around). Some people do not feel comfortable and are very nervous with just walking down the street or going in a store and having to talk to the cashier.

So, what's the difference? Nothing but the programming in the people's heads.. Maybe one person had more exposure to public situations or performance when they were younger, and it comes natural to them.

Well, it is all just thoughts built up that are dictating the way we look at the world and how we react, what we are capable of.. why the hell CAN'T we begin to reinforce other thoughts and make THEM the operating system for us?
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder