Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Community >> The Pub

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet
    #1893155 - 09/08/03 06:37 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: World Spirit]
    #1893235 - 09/08/03 08:41 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

damn it i thought you were going to tell us how to do it.

:thumbdown:

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: ]
    #1893248 - 09/08/03 08:55 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Anonymous

Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: World Spirit]
    #1893251 - 09/08/03 09:02 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

actually i threw down with the thumbs down.  sometimes i throw down with the thumbs up.

i prefer thinking of it as throwing down, though.  you know, like, 'bitch i just threw down on yo ass, negroid.'

yeah.  :tongue2:

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: ]
    #1893257 - 09/08/03 09:08 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineSizzlinJ
walter crunkite

Loc: in miami where aint shit ...
    #1893604 - 09/08/03 12:02 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

unless you know anything about electric wiring, i suggest you don't DIY... unless you wanna DIE. [pun not intended, but obvious.]

--------------------

G2 nigga
we runnin' miami

InvisibleAdom
Totally Nude
 User Gallery
Loc: Way Up North
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: SizzlinJ]
    #1893634 - 09/08/03 12:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Die? From a 110? come on, have you ever wired anything? I don't even turn off the power anymore if i'm fooling with a 110, I wire them hot because it doesn't really hurt if you foul up and bump into it. Besides a good shock keeps you on your toes and makes you do percision work unless your some twisted freak who enjoys electricity running thru yer body.

It should be simple, you must find the closest light or socket and feed into that, you will need a snake to feed the wire to the area you are juicing up. I don't know how to give step by step details, maybe you could ask me some questions. There should be plenty of info available online but I'm not sure where to look.

OfflineDrummer
CelestialMechanic
Male

Loc: SE Michigan
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: Adom]
    #1894049 - 09/08/03 02:10 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Having been an electricians apprentice for 4 years prior to the job I have now I am sure I can help you out. The first thing, is their an attic or basement above or below the area you want to energize? Is their a plug in close proximity to the one that you want to add? What do you plan on running from this plug (this is needed because if your going to tap off an existing circut you have to make sure your not going to be drawing more than it can handle). When I used to grow, I wired my grow room and put it on its own circut. This way if something went wrong it would not trip out any other part of the house and vice versa.
With that in mind is your circut panel (breaker box/fuse box) in the basement or one the first/second floor?
Let me know and I will walk you through the install.

--------------------
People don't want other people to get high, because if you get high, you might see the falsity of the fabric of the society we live in.

-Ken Kesey

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: ohio
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: Adom]
    #1894221 - 09/08/03 02:51 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

110 wont kill ya, but i recommend turning the power off :smile:.  Ive zapped myself when i was little and it made me cry.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: Drummer]
    #1894245 - 09/08/03 02:58 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Drummer, this would be truly great if you could write up a tek for this, I'd personally love it, really useful.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1894685 - 09/08/03 04:36 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

> 110 wont kill ya

Depending upon the internal resistance of your body to ground, 110v pushing 15 amps can easily kill a person. Under proper conditions, anything over 20 milliamps at around 32 volts is enough to kill. Try grabbing that 110V line while standing in a pool of water and see how well you fair (*sarcasm* don't try what I just said or you might kill yourself).

Turn off the power. Test to make sure the power is off. In the US, white to white (neutral), black to black (hot), green to green (ground).

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineDrummer
CelestialMechanic
Male

Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: TheHobbit]
    #1894816 - 09/08/03 05:04 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I would love to help those out who need it, but a write up would be quite long. There are many different obstacles and other things that get in the way so planning is a must, and I would hate to have a generic write up that does not cover those. Things like air ducts, fire wall studs which run horizontal in the wall, sometimes electrical contractors use a single stud area to run the wires from the attic to the basement which can be messy if you find one of those with your dry wall saw... And many many more. So its really not something that you can jump right into. It is easier than it seems to be though..
---Items needed from the hardware store-- Remodeling box, a plug recepticle, circut breaker, romex wire, a drill, drill bits, wire coat hanger, a plug faceplate cover, patience, and a few band aids----
This is for people who live in houses with the breaker panel in the basement and want to add a plug on the first floor:
1. Figure out where you would like the plug, than cut the bottom wire off a wire coat hanger so you have a 7-8inch long piece of straight wire. Find a drill bit of the same diameter and put the drill bit in the drill.
2. Where you want the plug (remember to get it in between the studs) make a small mark in your head or on the wall. With your drill put the bit as close to the wall as you can get it and drill straight down through the floor into the basement. Once you have done that stick the wire coat hanger down and go into the basement to find it. If you find it and its in a good location without obstacles leave it there. If there are obstacles, find another part of the wall which is free of obstacles like 2-3ft away either direction from where you first drilled.
3. No obstacles, great now you need to find what they call a remodeling box at your local hardware. Use the box as a stencil on the wall (code around here is that the box has to be 14" off the floor) measure your existing boxes to find what your measurement is. After you make an outline of the box on the wall, use a drywall saw to cut the hole. Cut slowly and stop if you feel any resistance during the cut.
4. Your hole is cut and everything is good. How do you get the wire up there? Well this is the tricky part. The hole with the coat hanger wire is your guide. Go into the basement and find the coat hanger wire, now that coat hanger wire is about an inch outside the wall which means that from where the coat hanger wire is you need to move in about an inch so when you drill your 3/8 or 1/2 inch hole up your inside the wall.
This hole will drill out slowly because on rough houses usually the studs are joined with a 2x4 on the floor as well.
5. Your hole is drilled and it found itself inside the wall where you cut out where your new outlet is going to be. Great!! Now you just need to worry about getting a wire from your electrical panel to the plug.
6. Measure out and add 10ft and go purchase that amount of romex wire 14/2 and write down the make and model of your electrical panel so you get the right breaker. Now with 14 guage wire, it will only handle 15 amps so you will purchase a 15amp breaker as well. If you need more amps because you plan on plugging a whole lot of shit into it, than get 12/2 romex wire and a 20 amp breaker. If you really need more juice than that your truly insane.
7. In your basement you may or may not see wires running through the studs, if you do use those and feed the wire through them from your plug to the panel. If you have a drop ceiling, that sucks, you can lay the wire on it but its not the proper way to do it. Just make sure you remove the wire before moving or selling your house. Remember to use romex straps(staples) when you can to keep the wire up and out of the way.
8. Poke the wire up through the hole you drilled and have someone with small hands reach inside the wall where you cut out for the box to grab the wire as you push it up from the basement. When they have hold of it tell them to take about 6-8 inches of wire excess.
9. Fit the wire through the hole on the remodeling box and pull it until the box is ready to go into the wall and tighten the wire clamp. Affix the remodeling box in the wall which ever way the directions tell you to. (there are many different designs some have screws, some have seperate straps).
10. Strip the romex carefully down to about a 1/2" away from the wire clamp that is holding it. Strip the black and white wire about 1/4 or 1/2" from the end. Now find the plug your going to use. Most plugs have what the call "stabs" on the back and screws on both sides. The stabs are little holes on both sides around the top screw on the side. Gold side(Hot=Black wire) you can either stab the bare black wire in the hole, or you can hook the bare wire and screw it to the side of the plug.
Silver side gets the white wire (neutral) and affix the bare copper wire to the ground screw on the plug (there is no stab for the ground).
11. Down to the panel. If you look on the top you will see silver connectors which will have wires already running through them, try to find one that does not have a lot of wires running through it, loosen it up. Remove the panel cover. This is the dangerous part. You see those big black wires coming in from outside those are the utility companies lines. Those are hot all the time. If you kill the main breaker those will still be hot. The only way to kill the power to them is to pull the meter. If you want to pull the meter to be safe, that is good. Go out to the meter remove the tamper seal, lift the cover, and pull the meter from top to bottom thus disconnecting the top first and lay it on something dry.
12. Go into the basement with your flashlight and fish the wire through the connector you loosened. Strip the outer casing of the wire about an inch from the top from the inside of the panel (you should have about a foot or more of stripped wire dangling.
13. Look and know the panel your in. Find your ground bar and put both the ground and stripped white wire under seperate lugs. Find an open spot for your new breaker. Strip the black wire about 1/2" and screw down the clamp on the breaker. Install the breaker, using an outside to inside manner. (There are many different panel makers out there its hard to know which you have, some push straight in some slide.)
14.Affix the panel cover and remove the knock out where the new breaker is or else the cover wont fit, you will see what I am talking about. Usually grabbing it with a pair of pliers and wiggiling it up and down or right to left will make it break free.
15. Replace all your covers/meters/ and whatever else you took apart and your ready for power. Turn the breaker on. If it stays on your good, if it pops off as soon as its turned on something went wrong. Keep it off and check all your connections. Retry.

I know this writeup is shotty at best and probably leaves many more confused than it helps. Maybe I will try to take some pictures of me doing one. Just be careful whatever you do. If you have any further questions or want something wrote up for a different set up just write it here and maybe take a few pics and I will try to help guide you in the proper direction.

Remember to always respect electricity. I dont want anyone to get zapped and if you dont understand something please ask. I would rather walk you through it a hundred times than let you get zapped. If anyone needs this done and is in south east Michigan, send me a PM. Ill gladly help out.
I will not be responsible if you or your house turn to ash during the install of your plug. If your worried about it, call an electrician in your area to have them do it. It should not cost more than $200. This is merely a guide to help you better understand the process.

--------------------
People don't want other people to get high, because if you get high, you might see the falsity of the fabric of the society we live in.

-Ken Kesey

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1895024 - 09/08/03 06:01 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Remember that local building codes may require electrical wiring to be run through conduit and they may also require you to get a permit to alter your existing construction, inspections, etc...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineDrummer
CelestialMechanic
Male

Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: Seuss]
    #1895525 - 09/08/03 08:41 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Remember that local building codes may require electrical wiring to be run through conduit and they may also require you to get a permit to alter your existing construction, inspections, etc...

You raise some good points. Every state, and most counties within have different codes than the others surrounding them. Usually adding a few plugs does not require an inspection, but your local codes may differ from mine. If you do not own the residence your at I would not suggest any alterations unless the owner of the property approves. If your in an apartment dont even try. Some lofts/apartments need to follow the commercial code for wiring which will involve conduit and other necessities which I wont get into here.
Too many factors and different kinds of dwellings to make it simple for all.

--------------------

-Ken Kesey

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1897228 - 09/09/03 06:57 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1897297 - 09/09/03 07:45 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Don't alter someone else's property.

One... it's not the right thing to do.
Two... should something go wrong YOU will be responsible for the damage and potential loss of life should a fire start.

Do'nt be a fool.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineiloveraving
Fighting themachine...

Loc: ..long road ahead..
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1898752 - 09/09/03 05:38 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If you were to own the property... I asked a electrician today and he said $100. For one with a lightswitch, $120  :smirk:

I actually live in a apartment with your same situation though. I just run a little 3 way extension cord under the door. Disguise it a little... I got the extension cord on clearance with some christmas stuff for less then $2. Damn that was like a year ago... I dont mind living a little ghetto though. I mean, I dont own this place  :shocked: be smart man :sun: 

--------------------
Daisy Wedding Favors

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: DoITyourself: How to add an electrical outlet to the closet [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1901238 - 09/10/03 07:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
    #1901403 - 09/10/03 09:40 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Drummer, thanks for taking the time to write that much up.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1901839 - 09/10/03 12:49 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Enter said:
OUch.

Fair enough.

You are correct in saying that, just a bit harsh in language.

If you think that was harsh you obviously haven't read many of my posts.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Community >> The Pub