Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
Contamination problems need advice(help)
    #1892966 - 09/08/03 04:17 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm having problems with contamination in my cased trays of rye.
I havent been having having any problems with contination when i spawn my jars or rye but after i lay the grain out in the tray, and its cased and in the friuting phase does the contamination pops up after 2-3 day. so far it only appears to be a green mold thats been taking over

my first two casings where a pete-moss w/lime using the formula from TMC, the first casing i over watered, the second one i didn't over water, three days after i place this one into the fruitng chamber green mold had over run the surface of the casing. by this time a third tray that had been cased with only vermiculte had been placed next to the second tray, about a day or two after the second tray was remover the third was showing contamination, upon further inspection (removing the black covering) contamination could be seen on the bottom of the plastic container/tray.
The first two casing where not sterilized since TMC didn't mention having to sterilize the mix(needless to say i will PC the casing from now on), the third casing was PC'ed, my fourth cased tray just went in
yesterday w/PC'ed vermiculite laid down on the bottom of the tray them the grain them a casing of PC'ed vermiculite, so far no contaminations yet, this may be since it hasn't been in the same chamber as the others, but it has only been a day so far.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooPs
What's thisfor???

Loc: Stirrin up the pile!
Re: Contamination problems need advice(help) [Re: Ganoderma]
    #1893408 - 09/08/03 10:42 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

You cleaned out the ENTIRE fruiting chamber with javex or lysol after each contam spotting right?

Are you working in a carpeted aerea?

Wear latex gloves when you work and work quickly!

peat casing sucks.. find coco-coir or plain verm ..

and yes.. PC your casing material if you are having problems!

good luck!

--------------------

-----------
Sniff, Sniff... What's that smell???... ohhhhh.!!
------------------

Pot Free for another : nevermind.. never made it..

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
Re: Contamination problems need advice(help) [Re: PooPs]
    #1895681 - 09/08/03 09:33 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

i'v been cleaning w/bleach, all work is done in a glove with a hepa filter hooked up to it. My whole place is carpeted. have been using latex gloves and lysol for all "clean work".
Whats javex is it a spray like the lysol(deferent brand?)? is it cheaper than lysol?
and i'm now PC'ing all casing just in case.

thanks for the input

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
    #1895751 - 09/08/03 09:56 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Something is wrong. What's the humidity? Trichoderma sp. is a mushroom pathogen, so if you have the casings next to each other it's likely it'll spread with the large amount of spores in the air that it produces. Everything does need to be cleaned.

If you are using the formula in TMC the casing needs to be airy, which you do by crumbling it between your fingers when applying it. Everything needs to be right -- the casing cannot be too saturated or too dry and when you are running the mycelium through the casing layer it needs to have *some* CO2 buildup (it should get *a bit* smelly.) A lot of people have had problems with using just peat and lime and usually don't reccomend it. IME, if the mycelium colonizes the casing perfectly and everything is right you should have little to no trich. I do reccomend, however, keeping your casings seperate. There's no need, even, for an incubator for your casings; a deep tupperware container covered in saran wrap should suffice.

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

OfflineRespectTheFungus
Fungus Fan

Loc: In a spore
Re: Contamination problems need advice(help) [Re: micro]
    #1895775 - 09/08/03 10:04 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Well good luck, tell us how it goes. peace.

--------------------
"With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know."

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
    #1895812 - 09/08/03 10:13 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

a casing layer underneath may be ok when casing cakes, but never heard of it being used with straight grain .
its best to let mycelium recover in the incubator for a couple days before adding the casing layer .

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
Re: Contamination problems need advice(help) [Re: deanofmean]
    #1896065 - 09/08/03 11:28 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

its not Trichoderma, it was a green mold.
so far the 4th one is looking good, i'v been letting the grain recover after laying it out for about 2-3 days (untill it starts growing).
the first few casing have been having water pooling on the bottom of the tray(shoe box sized{about})
humidity is 88-90 without any thing in it.

I do think the first cased tray passed it to the next one and so on, but if this last one contams in the next 48hours it would mimic the way the first ones went

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
    #1896142 - 09/08/03 11:47 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Trichoderma is green mold, duh.
I was thinking about pin mold.

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
    #1903393 - 09/11/03 12:17 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

three days now and no cantams as of yet(yeah!), mycelium growth/colonization appears to be slowing down, hopefully pins will be forming in the next few days.

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
    #1903754 - 09/11/03 02:35 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

well i just spoke to soon, just found more trich starting to pop up in one corner, remover the plastic from the tray and could see spots of green in the bottom of the tray, i made a h2o2 solution in my spray bottle and sprayed the area that i could see the contams on. I don't think even that will save the casing, it smells very mushroomie even with contams.
I'm thinking that the contams may be comeing from the cool mist that i'm using, since its an old one that i'v had for year(when i say years basically 10-15years or more) so theres most likely a chance that its a contam factory, which has been the common factor with all 4 casings, besides the container(s)(tub[s]) that they've been placed into. This has to be the sorce since i'v only lost a few jars and that was to pin mold (3-4percent at most) due to a contam'ed grain to grain transfur.

so here are some ideas that i'm think about changing in my set-up or have all ready changed
1. stop using my current C.M.H..

2. get a new new C.M.H. or perhaps U.S.,
a. I can't afford either or right now, as i'm currently tapped out all funds

3. disconnect the two chambers so they are not in series. (DONE)
a. disconnected chambers from each other 4-5 days ago
b. added an filter disk to the lower air vent(which was connected to the other chamber),
c. manually switching which chamber is connected to the C.M.H., while each one was disconnected the otherone would be plugged with a ballon over the connector(never blown into the ballon)but not using the same one on both chambers.

4. switch the set-up over from a C.M.H. to an internal humidification system
a. can't afford perlite, but have hydroton grow rock that i can use (have read that the hydroton works better), which would be nicer to use than perlite
b. i'm not sure yet how i should prep the hydroton, i figure i should soak them and let them drain to avoid having standing water in the chamber, or will i need a little standing water in the bottom of the chamber?
c. should I plug the bottom vent/connector on each chamber, I'm planning on plugging the top vent/connector since they will not be used for air-exchange or humidification (a totally closed system)

5. I think that for the time i may stop trying to case my rye grain for fear of contams and it beeing a "fruitless" effort for nothing.
a. i will have to attempt to fruit off of "cakes or rye", the only cakes that i'v been able to fruit where PF style cakes which had vermiculte in them.
b. can you fruit off of a rye cake?
c. unlike a PF cake a rye cake would be all substrate, perhaps i should roll the rye cake iv vermiculte like i have read that that Lil kuSsh does with his brf cakes.
d. perhaps i should think about dunking the rye cakes, but since there is no vermiculte to absorb the water i don't know if the cakes would bennifit from it.?

6. I may try a casing or two or just try mixing some vermiculte in with the grain when i lay it out in a tray.
a. when laying my grain out its best to let it recover before casing, would that apply if i shake the jars and let it sit for 24 hour then laid the grain out?

7. Perhaps I'm not getting my trays steril enough before casing?

8. If i use a bleach solution to sterilize chambers, trays, ect,. will it leave behind anything that the "fungus" may come in contact from it (the bleach)with that could have adverse affects on the mycelium,the fruitbodies?

IF any one has any suggestions, speak up will ya, i'd like to be able to do casings with out them getting contaminated all the time and costing me more money to try to get to the same point with the same result ever time.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, HEPA Filter, Paul Stamets, Peat, Perlite, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation