Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

need help focusing
    #1890907 - 09/07/03 12:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I am having a reoccuring problem of thinking about things too much, to the point where I can't even do anything.

I'm trying to study my computer science books and I can't stop thinking about this career path in the grand scheme of things. I want to be able to put everything else in the world on hold, and focus in on one subject... It just seems to be such a psychotic action... forgetting everything around you and focusing on what's out front of you... lol.

I just moved into an apartment and I suddenly have all this freedom, I sort of got swept up in it, and ended up pacing around alot and feeling totally un-grounded, thus, I ask you good people for some tips on focusing.

I want to start getting into more routines and schedules, excercize, studying, etc. I've always been completely useless at managing my time. I'm always all over the place mentally. I think everything builds up like a messy room inside my brain, and then when it reaches the limit I have some sort of 'revelation' and I flush my head out and start over from scratch.

life is a mindfuck

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibletrendalM
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: need help focusing [Re: Grav]
    #1891487 - 09/07/03 03:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Could it be that you don't need help focusing...but that you become focused too much on the "wrong" topic?

I'm all over the place as well, mentally. I was diagnosed with ADHD because of my "inability to focus" on the "work in front of me". I don't think this is correct, though, and while I may use the ADHD excuse for not paying attention to something I do not believe that ADHD is the problem.

I can focus MUCH better than just about everyone else I know. I can focus so much on something that the outside world completely dissapears. I become engrossed in my task, usually purely mental, and forget to communicate with the world around me. I'm not sure how it's possible to focus any more.

However I do run into the problem, quite frequently, of not being able to focus on a specific topic. It's not so much that I lose focus at some point, but that my focus changes too quickly with my train of thought. I am plagued with connections, at times. Connections can lead through a tree of knowledge and end up at an entirely different yet connected topic too easily.

Flushing your head? I run the same course, and my room is a PERFECT indication as to how far I am into a cycle. I clean my room when I clean my mind out. Sort of a compression process, I guess. Acumulate knowledge, sort and index, cross-reference, and compress. The final compression can't come until everything else is done.

Yeah, life is a mindfuck  :shocked:

And the connections run rampant  :wink:

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

Edited by trendal (09/07/03 03:18 PM)

InvisibleZero7a1
Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #1891520 - 09/07/03 05:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

start your tasks small... And work your way up. I realized that smoking pot all the time had turned paranoia into anxiety and thus undermining my ablity to control my thoughts. Relax... enjoy the change which life brings.. Embrace your thoughts... And put your focus on what you want... And see what you have to do to get there. And put it all together. best of luck :smile:

--------------------
What?

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: need help focusing [Re: Zero7a1]
    #1891584 - 09/07/03 06:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

yeah I was "diagnosed" with adhd when I was a kid, but that really shouldn't be a "problem." Moving into a new place is always hectic on the mind, even if you've moved 8 different times (such as I have). what I try to do when my thoughts seem to be reeling is go outside (if weather permits) and focus on something, like the sound of the wind, sunshine, the clouds or the trees. That way you aren't focusing a "task", but rather increasing awareness around you.

I feel you on the school though. I'm trying to get my BS right now, and whenever I first start on any kind of assignment, my mind is sent reeling. I remember when I first moved away from my mom, all that "freedom" comes out of nowhere and hits you like a ton of bricks. maybe not freedom itself but the idea is more prevelant. anyway I just try to focus on awareness and such and my mind slows down. whatever the case, going to school, can vbe tought on anyone.

"I realized that smoking pot all the time had turned paranoia into anxiety and thus undermining my ablity to control my thoughts"

Pot did the same thing to me when I was smoking everyday. if you change that to once a month or so, paranoia doesn't even come up. well for me at least...

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: need help focusing [Re: kaiowas]
    #1891998 - 09/07/03 08:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Grav said:
I am having a reoccuring problem of thinking about things too much, to the point where I can't even do anything.

I'm trying to study my computer science books and I can't stop thinking about this career path in the grand scheme of things.  I want to be able to put everything else in the world on hold, and focus in on one subject...  It just seems to be such a psychotic action... forgetting everything around you and focusing on what's out front of you... lol.

I just moved into an apartment and I suddenly have all this freedom,  I sort of got swept up in it, and ended up pacing around alot and feeling totally un-grounded,  thus, I ask you good people for some tips on focusing.

I want to start getting into more routines and schedules,  excercize, studying, etc.  I've always been completely useless at managing my time.  I'm always all over the place mentally.  I think everything builds up like a messy room inside my brain, and then when it reaches the limit I have some sort of 'revelation' and I flush my head out and start over from scratch.   

life is a mindfuck

Very interesting, DSM-IV would categorize u as ADD, Hand u some
Paxil n file u away along with the rest of the planet :lol:
To me u sound just like...everyone else :wink:
We've been programmed to think n worry... concentration is certainly
not something we've been taught - but we've always been expected
to be able to do it, ironic :grin: I get very Obsessive n easily
distracted too - it's an interesting dichotomy. In the end it's
just whatever holds your interest. Your obviously thinking about
the future/whatever cause u're more interested in it (since it's
your ultimate goal) than whatever it is that you're reading...
if u were fascinated by what u were reading and had no goal at
all other than to read that very thing, then that's what your mind
would do. U had enough ability to focus on writing your post, because
it was important for you. I have the same problem, I can read
books n books related to Spirtuality n Depression n Psychology, but
I can't concentrate enough to file a simple unemployment form
(it ACTUALLY confuses my mind)...
My prescription for u is plenty of Zazen, booze n gratuitous sex, I don't know exactly how this will help, but if
it doesn't at least u'll enjoy it :lol: 

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1893143 - 09/08/03 04:28 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
    #1893154 - 09/08/03 04:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

you're probably not going to like my advice on this one (seeing as most people don't when it comes to these sorts of things) but I'd suggest practicing disassociation...forced by drug use if necessary

In other words - learn to clear you mind, and continue to hang on to that whole state of mind for as long as you can...which, thankfuly, gets easier to do the more you practice. I suggest starting out with something simple, like trying to concentrate exclusively on one single idea (preferably something incredibly basic - like a geometric shape or some shit) and holding that thought exclusively for as long as you can. When some other idea comes whafting into your head, just push it back out and continue. Hopefully, you'll eventually get the hang of it and be able to 'roll with it' from there.

If that doesn't work - it may be easier to just stop whatever you're doing for a couple of minutes, and try to leave your thoughts in a state of suspended animation. Don't let anything new come in, and don't let anything that's there flow out. Just hang on to your ideas for as long as you can, and when they start flowing again - take a break...and try again a little later on. Once you are able to suspend your thoughts for any considerable length of time, you can then start working on reducing the content. Basically, you can start letting things go that you'd consider 'clutter' so that you can concentrate exclusively on what you'd consider important.

And of course, if all else fails - DXM baby...and a couple a good doses of it to boot. A few heavy disassociate binges and you'll be so far outta touch with reality you'd have to actually work to reclaim the sort of chaotic mindset you have now. It's kinda like causing a rich man to go completely bankrupt and forcing him to see things through the eyes of the poor.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: need help focusing [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #1893589 - 09/08/03 09:57 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yea that's what I try to do with my thoughts, just focus on one thing and not let the other thoughts intterupt me, but as soon as I try to prevent other thoughts I am already being heavily distracted and I can't regain focus.

but i have to admit i havent made the effort that I could, thanks for your advice I will start practicing it more

Offlinelucid

Re: need help focusing [Re: World Spirit]
    #1893706 - 09/08/03 10:27 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enter said:
My two cents:

Add two drastic activities to your life that exhaust you temporarily (in a good way).
1. Write your meditations down on paper in great detail and eloquence. (Extra: Post them here so we can read your thoughts if you don't mind sharing)
2. Jog. Go running til you can't take anymore.

Again, this is just my two cents. I'm a bit of a space cadet so take it with a grain of salt.
:wink: :smile: 

Those r excellent suggestions man !!
I'll give ya a buck n a half fer em :grin:
1, is an excellent way to disidentify with your thoughts
and get them out. It's also fun n a good way to shre.
2, intense physical exertion is an awsome way to quiet the mind
and help put what's really important in perspective.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: need help focusing [Re: lucid]
    #1893732 - 09/08/03 10:32 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Sleep deprivation seems to help put things in perspective as well.. :grin:

I'd recommend continuing the whole focusing on thoughts thing while blocking out others. It isn't hard at first, but it is important to tame the mind, I guess.. Try to make it feel natural, only working on one task and not being distracted.. A good thing to do is to NOT bring up the importance of it in the grand scheme of things. The grand scheme of things and our individual perspective seem to disagree a lot, and it doesn't help us out here to not be able to focus on what needs to be done..

But, yeah. Focus is important.
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinelucid

Re: need help focusing [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1893781 - 09/08/03 10:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Sleep deprivation seems to help put things in perspective as well"
:lol:

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: need help focusing [Re: lucid]
    #1893810 - 09/08/03 10:53 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Seriously, it does... Ahh, clear, sunny, blue skies outside and it is gently raining.. Pink Floyd is "echoing" through my speakers, as well...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineTasty_Smurf_House
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: need help focusing [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1895050 - 09/08/03 04:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have a hard time concentrating in school which can make math very frusterating. i find if i toke a bit of reefer (not too much tho) i get relaxed enough that i can focus really well and get all my work done a lot faster even though im high.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1896420 - 09/08/03 10:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Light a candle, turn off all your lights, get comfortable..

Stare at the flame. Concentrate on your breathing. Deep, rhythmic breaths.

Absorb yourself in the flickering of the flame. Allow thoughts to drift by. Be the observer. Do not interact. Be. Stare at the flame. Be one with the flame. Breathe.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom