Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> The Gaming Grotto

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinebloodbrother778
Super Chimpanzee
Making money selling in game items/accounts?
    #18914404 - 10/01/13 04:23 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Hey guys I'm looking around at unconventional ways to make money and right now I'm wondering about selling items or characters in computer games like WoW.

I used to play runescape a lot and at my peak I could have made a few grand from my items, but I never did it back then.  I haven't played the game in a few years and looking at some stuff online it seems that things are too cheap for now to make much money through that game, but what about other games?

Do you guys know of any in particular where people will pay decent money for stuff?
Is the diablo 3 blizzard marketplace worth it or are the good items too hard to get?

Basically I'm looking for something I could do on a daily basis and make decent money from if at all possible.

Plz let me know if you know of any games that you can do that with.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibleinfected_2

Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: bloodbrother778]
    #18914723 - 10/01/13 08:02 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Diablo 2 auction house is being shut down, it ruined the game.

If it's possible to make any money then the chinese will use prison labour to farm it. It's nearly impossible to make a living from it considering others can make a lot more from it.  A dollar isn't that much to youself but it is when spent in a 3rd world country.

I think it's bad for the games that kids with daddys credit card can just buy all the end game gear, it killed Diablo 3 which they've finally acknowledged.

You'd need to be a skilled gamer to get the high level valuable items, then you'll need to rip off some kiddys for cash. All the while competing with chinese farmers.

In short, you'd be better off getting a min wage job than trying to farm items.  You're best bet is to focus on improving in a game you love and then go to local cash tournaments where you've a chance of dominating for real cash.

Any good games won't have pay-to-win features.  I.e. Dota2, none of the items bought actually impact the game mechanics, it's purely about the visuals.

If you're good at game design you could make items and sell them through valve for a cut.  But again you'd need to be skilled ingame and out to generate the attention.

Offlineivander
Paragon of Animal
Male

#18914728 - 10/01/13 08:05 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

What I can say is that Blizzard will shut down auction house in a few months, so it would make it harder for you to get to earn some cash there. Aad plus you would need to play like 24/7 for a long time to get some decent items you could actually sell.
I dont know about other games.

--------------------
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music. - Nietzsche

I've never faked a sarcasm in my life. True story.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: infected_2]
    #18914761 - 10/01/13 08:18 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

^^ what he said is pretty spot on.

There is some money to be made in games buying/selling account/in game items etc..
But to do so would be a full time job and you would really have to know your shit. It's probably better to have a part time job.

As infected_2 mentioned, any game you could make money in - rest assured that the Chinese farmers are already on it in full force. An average chinese farming company generally has 10-100 people working 24-hour rotating shifts, doing nothing but multiboxing and BOTTING 10-50 characters each and racking up massive amounts of gold which they sell for pennies on the dollar. You have no way to legitimately compete against their prices. So selling gold/in game currency in whatever game is pretty much out of the question.

Any game that has tradeable items, same story pretty much.

In my hardcore raider/PvP days of WoW,  I was in a top 5 worldwide raiding guild. I had a top level character with pretty much maxed out achievements, and the best gear possible in the game (Dual Warglaives, full T6, every mount in the game, over 50,000 gold (which back then was a FUCKTON.. etc..) I sold my account for 5k.. but that was back in Vanilla-TBC, back when uber accounts could actually be worth something. Months later after an expansion that gear was obsolete, and a few years later after several expansions, the game is almost nothing like it was then. That boat has long since sailed. You can buy level 85(or 90.. whatever the level cap is now) characters for like $50, with pretty decent gear. Even decked out toons aren't worth shit anymore after the second expansion. But also keep in mind, although I cashed out with 5k... I had hundreds of DAYS invested in that character. A min wage job would have paid better. But I had fun, and got some money out of my time invested.. so I don't consider it a waste.

But basically anything you want to accomplish, you either need to be the BEST at end game and invest ridiculous amounts of time, or have some crazy get rich scheme which you can then TRY and compete with the chinese gold farmers.. but you will most likely fail.

Diablo 3 as mentioned, the Auction House is going bye bye forever in March. It pretty much ruined the game.

There too, you have no chance of competing with chinese gold farmers. Selling gold on the AH NEVER sells.. because people can buy gold from chinese farmers for 1/10th of the price. Items are a total crapshoot... you'd have to be the luckiest person ever, to get a PERFECT weapon or something that you could then sell for like $250 (Max on the RMAH), but that never happens. Since the loot is completely random, your chance of getting a PERFECT item is like 100million to 1. And the AH is already so completely over-saturated with items, even if you have a perfect item you still need to sell it.. and that means undercutting everyone else.

I've been playing D3 since release (off and on), I invested some time in the real money Auction House, and in total I've made about $80. Enough to cover the game and buy some beer.  Now I could have played it crazy style like some people, but that takes a LOT of dedication, plus knowing exactly what the fuck you are doing, what sells and what doesn't. ALOT of time to invest and also you need multiple accounts. But since the AH is gone in several months, that is all moot.

Basically, unless you are professional streamer, sponsored by gaming companies and get paid by TwitchTV to have lots of subscribers... and stream games like 20 hours a day, that is the only real way to make a decent living playing video games.. unless you are on a competing level and winning tournaments and shit. You have no chance of competing with the chinese gold farmers in any game, and they are in all the games you could possibly make any real money in.

--------------------

Offlinemathieu
Humble newb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: infected_2]
    #18914806 - 10/01/13 08:44 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Back in the early WoW days it wasn't rare to see people selling their characters, but as everyone has said the Chinese have now perfected farming-- and as you can imagine it's driving prices down. Rest assured that any hack they can get away with is being pursued, x10 bots per farmer all day every day.

Really the best you can hope for is to play the %*$# out of a game, and when you get tired of it sell your character and items for a few hundred dollars; the equivalent of pennies per hour worked.

If you are a *BADASS* go to competitions with a cash reward, and see if there are any local game studios where you could potentially do game testing now and again.

Quote:

infected_2 said:
In short, you'd be better off getting a min wage job than trying to farm items.  You're best bet is to focus on improving in a game you love and then go to local cash tournaments where you've a chance of dominating for real cash.

--------------------
Exemplify.

Offlinebloodbrother778
Super Chimpanzee
Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: mathieu]
    #18915234 - 10/01/13 11:25 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Thanks for the replies.  Makes sense.

Probably wont be doing that. 
I did come across a game where you can straight up cash out your money as the in game currency actually has a fixed cash value, but I can see trying to make money that way being a frustrating experience since the people who made it obviously want to keep the profits in their hands.

Oh well guess ill stick to poker as my unconventional way to make money.

OfflineSundrop
 User Gallery

Loc: tennessee
    #18918547 - 10/01/13 11:53 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I made around 10k selling items and characters on a game called Helbreath.  It is a pretty dead game, now, but I spent HOURS AND HOURS grinding for drops and items on there.  I played it for 8 years? It takes a lot of time to get anything decent enough to sell for actual money on pretty much any game.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Loc: Geospatial inversion.
Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: Sundrop]
    #18924866 - 10/03/13 10:02 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

RIP Rwting.

MMO's are a dying market.

Shame, I used to sell Runescape millions 5-10€ a piece... As always we're too late, the future fucking sucks, we missed out on everything.

Edited by Beanhead (10/03/13 10:02 AM)

Offlineiateshaggy Happy Birthday
i haxor 360s
Male User Gallery

Loc: 612 Warf Avenue, next to....
Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: Beanhead]
    #18924881 - 10/03/13 10:08 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

the only way to make money farming is to rent an apartment in romania, set it up as a farm and pay them what ever shit wage they work for to do it for you.  otherwise u will have to work for the same shit wages they make.

--------------------
You are a filipina sex goddess who wants to fuck me until I fall asleep, so then you can tickle my balls and see if the legend of my diamond filled nutsuck is true.  I am a white man from costa rica, who smells like lime jello.

I can flash/jtag/repair 360's, pm for details.

Offlinemathieu
Humble newb
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
    #18928282 - 10/03/13 11:39 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Beanhead said:
As always we're too late, the future fucking sucks, we missed out on everything.

Doesn't every generation say that?

--------------------
Exemplify.

InvisibleLordSenate
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Loc: First Circle of Hell
    #18928895 - 10/04/13 01:27 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I don't know how you would make money in WoW by selling characters.. I am not sure.

I was looking at a few places when I was maxed out with my priest at 90 and I was 7th out of priests on my server for gear rating. I had jewelcrafting and mining maxed and a shit load of transmogs, I was given a quote of 45$. The other places looked shady.

I suppose you could find someone interested but it may prove to be difficult.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: LordSenate]
    #18929467 - 10/04/13 04:51 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
In my hardcore raider/PvP days of WoW,  I was in a top 5 worldwide raiding guild. I had a top level character with pretty much maxed out achievements, and the best gear possible in the game (Dual Warglaives, full T6, every mount in the game, over 50,000 gold (which back then was a FUCKTON.. etc..) I sold my account for 5k.. but that was back in Vanilla-TBC, back when uber accounts could actually be worth something. Months later after an expansion that gear was obsolete, and a few years later after several expansions, the game is almost nothing like it was then. That boat has long since sailed. You can buy level 85(or 90.. whatever the level cap is now) characters for like $50, with pretty decent gear. Even decked out toons aren't worth shit anymore after the second expansion. But also keep in mind, although I cashed out with 5k... I had hundreds of DAYS invested in that character. A min wage job would have paid better. But I had fun, and got some money out of my time invested.. so I don't consider it a waste.

--------------------

InvisibleLordSenate
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: Shroomism]
    #18929474 - 10/04/13 04:54 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah I can relate to that. I played from beta all the way until the end of mop. I am emberassed at the amount of time I put into it.

I know I have hundreds of days as well, I just don't remember the exact amount. I haven't played for months because I got burnt out.

I liked every expansion up to and including WOTLK. Cataclysm was meh and so was MOP.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: LordSenate]
    #18929481 - 10/04/13 04:56 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I got sucked back in by old guildmates after WOTLK.
It was alright, but I just couldn't get back into it. I was SUPER hardcore before but after I quit and came back I only played casually.
I came back again for Cataclysm and basically said fuck this. The game was almost nothing like before.
Homogenized the classes too much. Catered way too much to the casuals. Everything turned into a "daily" quest grindfest.
MOP looks like another large step in that direction..I've long since washed my hands of that game.
I liked the game back when playing your class well took a lot of skill. Back when having epic/legendary gear actually meant something.
Nowadays every scrub is walking around in purples. That's a large part of why toons are worth shit now. Also, they made leveling a joke.

--------------------

InvisibleLordSenate
One of the Lost
Male User Gallery

#18929531 - 10/04/13 05:13 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah dailies everywhere.. Makes me want to throw up thinking about it.

I was a casual raider then my guild tried to get super serious about shit and all the bickering and all that shit on top of like you said about the dailies burnt all of out. I am pretty sure almost everyone quit.

I have no regrets about my time spent before Cataclysm. I was able to make it through that though but by the end game mop I was burnt out. I haven't touched it since.

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: mathieu]
    #18929597 - 10/04/13 05:47 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

I gave you an example: 6-10 years ago I sold millions 5-10e a piece

now it's 0,15-0,20 DOLLARS each. I'm too young for nostalgia. :feelssadman:

OfflineBeanhead
IS IRONIC PARADOX
 User Gallery

#18939407 - 10/06/13 11:37 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

LoL?

Are there any new-gen shooters that are being played hardcore in tournaments?

CS 100k games are over but alas, I NEED SOMETHING NEW TO GRIND

Offlinesomething cool
meandering

#18950754 - 10/08/13 07:48 PM (4 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomism said:
^^ what he said is pretty spot on.

There is some money to be made in games buying/selling account/in game items etc..
But to do so would be a full time job and you would really have to know your shit. It's probably better to have a part time job.

As infected_2 mentioned, any game you could make money in - rest assured that the Chinese farmers are already on it in full force. An average chinese farming company generally has 10-100 people working 24-hour rotating shifts, doing nothing but multiboxing and BOTTING 10-50 characters each and racking up massive amounts of gold which they sell for pennies on the dollar. You have no way to legitimately compete against their prices. So selling gold/in game currency in whatever game is pretty much out of the question.

For that cause, item trading should be restricted between zones, with Asia not being able to trade with North America, and the items being completely incompatible with cross-zone accounts.

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Making money selling in game items/accounts? [Re: something cool]
    #18952161 - 10/09/13 12:30 AM (4 years, 2 months ago)

If only. Where that is the case, they generally have bots in EVERY zone. For example in WoW they'll have bots running in EU, US, and Asia servers. They got that shit on lock

--------------------

Offlinevillui
Banger
 User Gallery

#19000444 - 10/19/13 06:26 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

most games have an anti bot detector

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> The Gaming Grotto