Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: pH Test Strips, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
What fucked up in this bulk attempt?
    #1891295 - 09/07/03 04:17 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

OK, first attempt at bulk cultivation: Failure.  Here is what happened, see if someone can tell me why...

The materials used were dehydrated cow manure and straw.  They were mixed in a 50/50 ratio then put into a pillow case.  Another pillowcase had some straight poo added.  These were both put into water in a pot on the stove.  The water was heated to around 170 degrees and left at that temp for an hour and a half.  Both pillowcases were removed and allowed to drain overnight. The next day they were opened and spawned in the following manner.

A layer of straw/poo was put down, then some colonized WBS sprinkled over top.  This was done in layers for about 5 inches.  Then a 1" layer of poo (the pasteurized poo) was added with (colonized) WBS mixed in.  A plastic sheet was put over top of this and the container was sealed to near air-tightness, then put into an incubator.  Three days and none of the mycelia has grown anymore, a white infection is on the top layer of dung and it smells, odd.  What went wrong?

Some things I think it might have been

1) The poo was the wrong type. It wasn't really very dry, but it didn't smell of ammonia and it didnt' smell "shitty" either.

2) The pasteurization was done wrong. *shrug* I thought it was right, I guess not.  This might explain the unusual growth on the dung, but not the mycelia not growing

3) Not properly dried.  The pillowcase with just the dung in it came out and, after draining overnight, felt like a wet pile of cow crap.  The straw/dung was also what I would consider "wet". 

i'm not sure what else it could be, I'd really like some help so I don't waste any more mycelia.  thanks! :smile:

--------------------
In response to an attack killing 15 American Servicemen
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
Re: What fucked up in this bulk attempt? [Re: lysergic]
    #1891325 - 09/07/03 04:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i dunno i have recently been messing around with straw/dung that last little while and i have found it best not to layer but to mix up all the poo/straw/spawn together, then once it is all mix up, but one more layer of spawn over top of eveything, then cover that with straight poo. Seems to colonise way faster, especially the top layer of poo and not so many contams involved...btw: was there a heat source heating the poo from the bottom of the pot when pasturization occured? the first time i tried to pasturize on a stove i got contams..after that all i do know is use a huge pot, crank up the hot water tanks and boil a bunch of water...fill the pot about half full with just straight hot tap water, then fill with enough boiling water to bring temp up to 170degrees, then just wait till it cools to 155 and its done.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
Re: What fucked up in this bulk attempt? [Re: GregHimself]
    #1891375 - 09/07/03 04:37 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

greg - Thanks for the help. It very well could have been the extreme heat at the bottom of the large pot. I think I'll try that thta you suggested. Approx how long does it take for it to cool from 170 to around 155ish?

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:
Just give em a little more time, the iraqis are making great progress. And this is unorganized. Wait till they get organized.

OfflineGregHimself
Male User Gallery

#1891400 - 09/07/03 04:43 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

hmmm maybe like just over or under an hour...i used one of those big blqack enaml canning pots? if you dont know what i mean i can post apicture of it...ALSO, i never pasturize the straw and the dung together, i do one batch of straw, then one batch of dung, and also a better way to drain them is to take the racks out of the oven and put those over your sink and put the pillowcases or whatever you use to pasturize in on those racks then put a big plastic bowl overtop of the pillowcases...i do this mainly to keep flys and or bugs from getting onto the pillowcases...and flies LOVE the mixture of the dung/straw and i have had a fly lay eggs in my boxes which i killed with an h2o2 solution...but it was still shitty! so watch for those fuckers.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets

OfflineTold
Artiest

Loc: Rockies
    #1891458 - 09/07/03 05:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

when you let it sit to drain it probably got re-contaminated. was it extremly sterile???? if not thats why.

OfflineGregHimself
Male User Gallery

Re: What fucked up in this bulk attempt? [Re: Told]
    #1891462 - 09/07/03 05:07 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

i have never had a problem..ususally straw and dung are pretty contam resistant
i have also heard that adding an amount fo bleach to the pasturization raises the PH, so that contams CANT colonize until the ph drops..which can be anywhere from 1-2 weeks.

--------------------
Paul Stamets

Offlinelysergic
Mycophile!
    #1892335 - 09/08/03 12:04 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

*bump*

--------------------
PsiloKitten said:

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1892440 - 09/08/03 12:32 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

A plastic sheet was put over top of this and the container was sealed to near air-tightness, then put into an incubator.

You don't want that cover to be airtight. After my friend covers his dung/straw substrates with plastic, he uses a red hot nail to melt 1/4"  holes in it, about 1 hole per square inch.  :laugh:   

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: pH Test Strips, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation