Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Loc: zee mountain state
Incubation: Overheated?
    #1878710 - 09/03/03 06:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

So this person innoculated a few jars and decided to incubate with a heating pad... the person waited fifteen minutes for it to heat up and it registered at just below 90 degrees so he said cool and set the jars on top of it and went to bed happily dreaming of fat flushes in the future... anyhow... he wakes up the next morning and looks at the thermometer... 110+ degrees!! (the thermometer stopped at 110) so the question is... would 7 or so hours of 110 degrees kill any chance the spores had of "germinating"? or nay? he does reckon that he could just keep waiting and see but he is too impatient to do this as it is his first attempt at growing... and if they don't germinate (nor any contams) would it be wise to re-innoculate or should he start over? no growth had started yet so he is hoping everything will be ok... also... is incubation necessary? or would 70-74 degrees be ok but make for slower colonization?

-j

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTremor1127
Mental Member
Male

Loc: In a Van Down By the Rive...
Post deleted by Administrator [Re: TheSlapnCapn]
    #1878734 - 09/03/03 06:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Incubation: Overheated? [Re: Tremor1127]
    #1879131 - 09/03/03 08:51 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Heating pads are a bitch to work with. If the thermometer read 110 then the bottom of the jars are probably much hotter cause they tend to absorb the heat. My friend has never been able to get even heating with a pad, but it works if you just flip the jars every other day and watch the temp closely.

I dunno if you're jars are fucked or not. You'll just have to wait and see. My friend has seen myc do some amazing comebacks.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
Re: Incubation: Overheated? [Re: Demiurge]
    #1879175 - 09/03/03 09:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Oh and definitely put a towel between the heating pad and the bin.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: Incubation: Overheated? [Re: Demiurge]
    #1879282 - 09/03/03 09:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If the center of the jars, or the edges (wherever you injected them) went past 106F, then they are dead. You killed the spores. If you have more, re-inoculate or wait and see if some are alive. If that heat actually reached all the spores is the question.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

Re: Incubation: Overheated? [Re: ATWAR]
    #1880391 - 09/04/03 05:17 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hmm... well they had a layer of cardboard between them and the pad, and the spores were toward the top.. where the pad was on bottom... soo... i guess i'll have to employ the old neglect tek...

-j

--------------------
I promise to live, love, exist, and be, and hope that all life will love to be in existence with me. Also, fuck you.

-j

Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Loc: WV
Re: Incubation: Overheated? [Re: TheSlapnCapn]
    #1881343 - 09/04/03 01:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

most people dont even need to incubate their jars very much. putting them next to a computer or fridge is usually enough to raise them to around 85. A heating pad is definately overkill in my opinion, unless u live in Alaska....
~MC

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

OfflineParpas
grower

Loc: sweden
Re: Incubation: Overheated? [Re: mattch1]
    #1881531 - 09/04/03 02:55 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

are the spores realy that sencetive to heat, i just noticed that i have 33.6degrees C, 92.1F, is my jars dead now? seems ilogical that thay thrive in 25-27C but dies just a few degrees over that.

--------------------
Its all in your mind

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1881542 - 09/04/03 02:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What about prints? Can they handle high heat and still be viable?

As far as incubation goes, why anyone would not use a double rubbermaid with water and a fish tank heater is beyond me. They work kick ass, and are very low maintanence.

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Re: Incubation: Overheated? [Re: shakta]
    #1881798 - 09/04/03 04:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

shakta said:
What about prints? Can they handle high heat and still be viable?

No.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

#1890666 - 09/07/03 10:30 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH... they lived... signs of growth were discovered yesterday and today it is even more evident. Woo! Apparently GT spores are little hulks because they sat in a hot mailbox at least for 4 hours. maybe even 2 days because I didn't check the mail on a saturday and found them on monday... and then I overheated them like I explained earlier and they still survived...

"As far as incubation goes, why anyone would not use a double rubbermaid with water and a fish tank heater is beyond me. They work kick ass, and are very low maintanence."

Some people (i.e. me) are too lazy/cheap to go out and buy rubbermaid tubs... esp. when there is a heating pad in the house that never gets used. I found that the lowest setting works excellently for maintaining mid-80's temps...

-j

--------------------

-j

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

#1890874 - 09/07/03 12:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think you got very lucky considering. The jars were just sitting on the heating pad, which probably meant that only the bottom little bit was 110F, although I am just going by what you said. Since you fell asleep, you have no real idea how long the jars were overheated for, and the glass will insulate. Did you notice any germination on the bottom of the jar, or the bottom 1/2 inch or so (germination, not colonization later)?

The mailbox incident I have no clue about. I would think P. Cubensis spores are identical in their heat tolerance, although GT's are nice :laugh:  How hot is it where you live the time of year when the spores were in the mailbox?

I have made the mistake of shooting up a few jars that were still too warm. It actually didn't feel hot-hot or even really that warm, so I shot it up trying to rush things because it was getting late. No germination for 2 weeks in any of the jars that were otherwise fine. I re-inoculated them with the same syringe, and had germination a week later. I could only attribute this to not waiting long enough after sterilizing for the grain in the middle to cool. I killed them quite easily, but I have no idea the actual temperature inside my jars.

It is said that spores are killed above 106F. Good to hear you got lucky there. :smile:   

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineTheSlapnCapn
Slappin' thangs.
Male User Gallery

#1891708 - 09/07/03 06:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah it germinated in the exact pattern the liquid made as it soaked into the substrate... none of it made it to the bottom of the jars so I guess they stayed high and dry.. erm... high and cool. It was in the nineties when the spores were in the mail and the mailbox was exposed to direct sunlight. So yeah... I suppose luck was on my side.

-j

--------------------

-j

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
    #1896190 - 09/08/03 10:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have read that thermal death is around 105F, but i think that is for mycelium, and I'd think spore are a little "tuffer" to with stand possible environental conditions.
But high temps like that open the door for thermal type pathogens to get a foot in the door.

InvisibleLiL_KuSsH
Lost In The Trip
I'm a teapot

Deleted [Re: Ganoderma]
    #1896197 - 09/08/03 10:08 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures