Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelalala
Psychonaut
Lava Rock vs Perlite/Geolite story
    #1888101 - 09/06/03 09:20 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

First, the camera of the house is broken, or there would be detailed photos documenting everything. I apologize for the lack thereof. I'm chronicling Rough The Wonderdog's attempts with a different terrarial material, since he can only write in Dog.

Now, on to the important matters!

After researching all the potential water-absorbing materials for a terrarium in my immediate area, my dog, Rough, decided to bypass the perlite (couldn't find grow rocks in town), and instead he went directly to Lowe's and purchased a bag of black lava rock for roughly $3.50.

Rough's first terrarium, on his first grow, approximately midsummer, consisted of a cheap hygrometer/thermometer, 2 inches of sterilized and cleaned lava rock across a sterlite 25 quart blue bin, with a 14 inch airstone in the bottom, and small holes drilled in the top for ventilation. He poured about an inch of room-temp sterilized water in the bin, and fired up the air pump. Rough also purchased a small submersible heater, but ended up not using it as temperatures maintained a steady 78 degrees internally.

Within an hour, the relative humidity in the bin climbed to 93%. Rough thought the hygrometer was off, so he borrowed a friend's. Same thing.

So, Rough turned off the air pump, opened the bin for a couple hours, closed it and went to bed.

The next morning, the hygrometer read the same thing - 93%. At this point Rough wondered how the surface area of the lava rock compared to other terrarium humidifying materials, and also, if the volume of lava rock had a large impact on the RH.

Being the wacky experimenter that he is in other realms of life, Rough placed 7 PF cakes directly on top of the lava rock in a figure-eight formation.

Interesting things occurred:

First, the humidity was kept better in check with the presence of something actually in the terrarium, and by leaving the top off a few times a day.

Second, the cakes actually exhibited rhizomorphic growth onto the lava rocks, and into the water. Rough wishes he had pictures to prove the cakes were not only having a bit to drink, but in fact several mushrooms began to develop on the lava rocks up to an inch away from the cakes. Rough went to dunk a cake or two, and pulled out lava rocks with it. Really interesting.

Third, there was quite a large third flush. About half the second, which Rough didn't expect in the slightest.

Fourth, is a steady 93% too much? What's the optimum, it's still early, and we're forgetful.

This raises several questions, which we hope can be answered by the MycoCommunity.

Is lava rock a useful tool for those in much drier climates in ours?

Why did the rhizomorphs produce mushrooms extraterritorially?

Is lava rock a good terrarium base?

Rough's next mycojourney includes a much larger terrarium with the same setup (and thus, lower RH), and nice Anno-style PF cakes noncrumbled and cased, and popcorn casings. He just birthed and cold flashed them this morning. What a dog!

Please, we'd love to hear comments and feedback. We're happy to answer any questions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomstruck

Re: Lava Rock vs Perlite/Geolite story [Re: lalala]
    #1888139 - 09/06/03 09:46 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Woof woof woof ...  that's three thumbs in dog talk!  :smile:

Just starting our terrarium and appreciate your observations .. keep up the good work!

OfflineUncleMike
Visionary
Male

Loc: S.W. Virginia
Re: Lava Rock vs Perlite/Geolite story [Re: shroomstruck]
    #1888276 - 09/06/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

100% for cakes RH ( a friend told me that)

--------------------
Live each day like it will be your last, tomorrow my never come.
SporeSmart

Offlinescreaminsemen
enthusiast

Re: Lava Rock vs Perlite/Geolite story [Re: shroomstruck]
    #1888277 - 09/06/03 11:18 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I use lava rock and find it's no uncommon for the myc to roam. The stuff is so cheap, you can throw it out and buy more. I really like it. Seems that the porous rock helps alot with humidity. i like it better than geo-lite or hydrton. But this is just my opion. my humidity stands at 94% all the time. My meter will go to 100%, but at 94% they seem to like it.

Offlinelalala
Psychonaut
Re: Lava Rock vs Perlite/Geolite story [Re: screaminsemen]
    #1888379 - 09/06/03 12:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Excellent, thanks for the input everyone!

Anonymous

. [Re: lalala]
    #1888996 - 09/06/03 05:08 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Offlinelalala
Psychonaut
Re: Lava Rock vs Perlite/Geolite story [Re: ]
    #1890563 - 09/07/03 08:58 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Humidity seems to be mostly due to the lava rock, so thes air pump brings fresh air exchange. He's still using it.

Anonymous

Re: Lava Rock vs Perlite/Geolite story [Re: lalala]
    #1890639 - 09/07/03 10:16 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

the magpod(magash)pleases again!

OfflineAerzun
journeyman

Re: Lava Rock vs Perlite/Geolite story [Re: ]
    #1891919 - 09/07/03 07:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

My friend uses lava rocks, but doesn't place them directly on the lavarocks, instead he puts a grill on top of the lava rocks and sets the cakes on the grill. And it seems to be workin fine.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract