Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
morbidity
    #1885761 - 09/05/03 05:32 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

In light of lucid's recent musings of death I've been inspired to ponder a bit on the subject myself. One thing that imediately came to mind is the fact that morbidity in general seems to be more commonplace these days then it has been in the past...or in the very least, less taboo. Why is that? Are we (meaning the human race as a whole) evolving to such an extent that many 'walls' put in place by those who came before us are now being torn down in lieu of the recent advancements in communication, and the subsequent distribution and expansion of knowledge? Or is it simply that the much larger population of recent years has created the illusion of 'more' when in all actuallity the percentage of acceptance vs. non-acceptance remain roughly equal to what it's always been? ...OR... Is this perhaps some sort of a 'side effect' of overpopulation? Can it be that by seperating ourselves from nature and piling up one on top the other pet shop style is somehow or another altering our natural insticts and distorting our perceptions of reality to such an extent that we actually crave death in some form or another?

Some other things to think about:
Given the entire human population as a whole - is it more common to be fixed on dying (as is the case with suicide) or killing? Do the supposed ultimately deranged necrophiles gain pleasure from the actual physical morbidosity of a life-less corpse, or is it more of a ultimate subjectation kinda thing? And where exactly do cannibals and the like fit into this picture? Oh, and what about the media? Do television shows like The Adams Family, Tales From the Crypt, or that one with Elvira (whatever it was called) have an affect on making death related subjects more tolerable? Or are they all simply manifestations of a growing morbidity within the collected consciousness shared by us all? And if so - what caused such changes in the first place? Would such changes neccessarily be a 'bad' thing? Are we all destined to inevitably evolve into a sort of race of supergoths with bleached skin, dyed hair, and megalomaniatic vampire-esque mentalities?

Hhmmm.....I wonder

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: morbidity [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #1885910 - 09/05/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

.. descensitized to everything ...

I'm not sure... probably TV

I get in morbid moods alot, it seems like a path back into a positive mood.
like I just get sick of trying to smile on life and make sense of it, so I just say fuck everything.. It actually feels very healthy. If you sit in the dark and imagine widespread death and destruction, and then walk outside into the light, the day seems a little bit more cheerful.

trying to be happy only seems to lead to frustration for me.

this world is fuckin creepy, violent, and disturbing. history is riddled with fuckin awful atrocities and humanity creates more everyday... many times it feels like life is nothing but some horrible nightmare. a cruel experiment.

maybe morbidity is just another word for honesty

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: morbidity [Re: Grav]
    #1885977 - 09/05/03 06:24 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, regular television programming should never really be exposed to youth. That is a time when their outlook at life and their personalities are formed, how they react to situations they are presented with.

After the time when (hopefully) a child is brought up to be able to analyze data for their own and not take too much "message" in from televison and movie programming as the truth and the foundation of their beliefs, it shouldn't matter. I don't see murder on televison and feel that it doesn't bother me. It sickens me to see some of the stuff I see on Discover channel Crime Night, and I am glad it is broadcast because I feel it reminds us of what is going on out there and what actually happens all around when someone kills someone else..

So, if we are brought up with television and no structure from parents, I can see how people are desensitized to murder and etc. If the proper structure has been installed, we can see televison and movie programming for what it really is, and it doesn't effect our behaviour or thoughts in any controlling way...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang: