Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineTwirling
Barred Spiral
Male

The concept of sacrifices
    #1885540 - 09/05/03 02:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

One of my two cats left me a "present" today on my deck, and while cleaning up the unidentified animal carcass, it occurred to me that sacrifices are a part of nature. In this case, a cat was trying to please it?s owner by offering it a ?catch of the day?. It?s saying ?Look at what I bring you, fresh food. I could have eaten this myself, but I?ll make the sacrifice and let you have it.?

I think there is a connection between the ?master/slave?, ?owner/pet? relationship which the animal lower on the food chain, or chain of command, offers something to appease the higher form. All religions seem to work this into its theology. Judaism and Christianity used to sacrifice animals and crops. Hinduism and Buddhism have offerings as well. Many tribal groups have this same sort of pattern, usually in the form of pleasing some god, or making an offer to a deceased spirit. In many ways, I think it?s a way of trying to gain control over the events that happen in life. Thoughts? Ideas? Money?

--------------------
The very nature of experience is ineffable; it transcends cognitive thought and intellectualized analysis. To be without experience is to be without an emotional knowledge of what the experience translates into. The desire for the understanding of what life is made of is the motivation that drives us all. Without it, in fear of the experiences what life can hold is among the greatest contradictions; to live in fear of death while not being alive.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: The concept of sacrifices [Re: Twirling]
    #1885605 - 09/05/03 02:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

> ?Look at what I bring you, fresh food. I could have eaten this myself, but I?ll make the sacrifice and let you have it.?

The cat could have been thinking, "Look at what I can catch... what have you caught recently?"

This would tend to put things into an "I'm better than you", rather than a "master/slave" or "owner/pet" perspective.

Of course the cat might not have been thinking anything, but rather following simple instincts... -shrug-

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleMystical_Craven
mentally illpsychonaught

Loc: Earth
Re: The concept of sacrifices [Re: Twirling]
    #1885618 - 09/05/03 02:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Oh yeah, definately...many religions do require some sort of acceptance that we as humans are on a lower 'tier' then whatever 'higher power' happens to be above us, and that we should regularly prove our understanding and acceptance of this chain of command by giving some sort of hommage to said higher power. Sometimes it's in the form of an animal or a plant, sometimes is a cake or bread of some sort, sometimes it's nothing more then the giving of our own personal time in prayer and what have you. It's all about establishing concrete boundaries between the mentor and the protegee.

--------------------

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go..." T.S. Eliot

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: The concept of sacrifices [Re: Mystical_Craven]
    #1885657 - 09/05/03 02:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"like the first monkey shot into space"
"Without pain, without sacrifice, we'd have nothing"
-Tyler Derden, Fight Club
Dang I know every line from that flick n I havn't even
seen it that often. Powerful movie.

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale