Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
*alternate opinion blocks path*
Other

Loc: Soviet Canukistan Flag
There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life
    #18856189 - 09/17/13 11:42 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Does that mean that there is a finite amount of time before you emerge again? It would follow that because there was not an eternity before your emergence, such a thing is impossible, that there is not an eternity afterwards. Its a wild idea but its almost self apparent. If there was such a thing as an eternity of non existence we would've never existed in the first place, but we do and it follows that eventually we will come back to it.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #18856221 - 09/17/13 11:50 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Please dont tell me a flying spaghetti monsters never existed. Thats a mental aberration. Something only created by a confluence of linguistic connotations particular to humans. Surely you guys could come up with something better then that.

OfflineBrambolinie
Stranger
Male

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #18856225 - 09/17/13 11:51 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe time is just an illusion ...

--------------------
"And so castles made of sand fall in the sea, eventually "

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: Brambolinie]
    #18856240 - 09/17/13 11:54 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

The progression of time is readily apparent. To deny it is ridiculous. Unless you can come up with an explanation thats at least mildly palatable your doing nothing but chasing your own tail, mentally.

Offlineviktor
psychotechnician
Male User Gallery

Loc: New Zealand Flag
Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: Brambolinie]
    #18856391 - 09/18/13 12:33 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Brambolinie said:
Maybe time is just an illusion ...

:thumbup:

--------------------
"They consider me insane but I know that I am a hero living under the eyes of the gods."

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#18856525 - 09/18/13 01:27 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Does that mean that there is a finite amount of time before you emerge again? It would follow that because there was not an eternity before your emergence, such a thing is impossible, that there is not an eternity afterwards. Its a wild idea but its almost self apparent. If there was such a thing as an eternity of non existence we would've never existed in the first place, but we do and it follows that eventually we will come back to it.

Agreed that it seems impossible to get to here through eternity, but what evidence do you have that there is a finite amount of time? The Big bang may have been the beginning of this universe, but was it the beginning?

--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love truth awareness peace

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

InvisiblehTx
(:
Male User Gallery

Loc: Space-time
    #18856748 - 09/18/13 05:02 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
The progression of time is readily apparent. To deny it is ridiculous. Unless you can come up with an explanation thats at least mildly palatable your doing nothing but chasing your own tail, mentally.

Time is a human concept to explain change.

Progression of time is not so readily apparent, but change is, which is why we came up with the concept of time.

Therefore time really is an illusion, or atleast very very subjective (relative) but we already knew that thanks too Einstein.

--------------------
zen by age ten times six hundred lifetimes
Light up the darkness.

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#18857052 - 09/18/13 08:24 AM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

I don't see how that follows.  Even if we accept your premise of a finite time before life, why must the before-life and after-life reflect each other?

InvisibleBodhi of Ankou
Other

Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #18857756 - 09/18/13 12:18 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Because before and after your existence are one in the same. If it follows that we emerged from non-existence once, then it stands that the same thing will reoccur given enough time.

Edited by Bodhi of Ankou (09/18/13 12:23 PM)

InvisiblePenelope_Tree
Shamanic Panic
 User Gallery

Loc: magic sugarcastle
    #18857822 - 09/18/13 12:31 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:
Because before and after your existence are one in the same. If it follows that we emerged from non-existence once, then it stands that the same thing will reoccur given enough time.

I mostly agree, except for the last part. There is no guarantee that "we" will cycle back and forth, eternally.

--------------------
full blown human

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#18857890 - 09/18/13 12:51 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhi of Ankou said:

How do you know this?  As far as I know, nobody has access to this kind of knowledge; nobody knows how we come into life.

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

Loc: Everywhere and Nowhere
Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: Sleepwalker]
    #18857919 - 09/18/13 12:57 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Well, the only alternative to "nothingness" before and after life is some kind of before-life and after-life, which there is no evidence of.

Ankou's logic makes perfect sense to me; it is only one of the many ways of visualizing the famous idea of "eternal recurrence."

From Nietzsche's Thus Spoke Zarathustra:

Quote:

Gloomily walked I lately in corpse-colored twilight- gloomily and sternly, with compressed lips. Not only one sun had set for me.
A path which ascended daringly among boulders, an evil, lonesome path, which neither herb nor shrub any longer cheered, a mountain-path, crunched under the daring of my foot.
Mutely marching over the scornful clinking of pebbles, trampling the stone that let it slip: thus did my foot force its way upwards.
Upwards:- in spite of the spirit that drew it downwards, towards the abyss, the spirit of gravity, my devil and archenemy.
Upwards:- although it sat upon me, half-dwarf, half-mole; paralysed, paralysing; dripping lead in my ear, and thoughts like drops of lead into my brain.
"O Zarathustra," it whispered scornfully, syllable by syllable, "you stone of wisdom! you threw yourself high, but every thrown stone must- fall!
O Zarathustra, you stone of wisdom, you sling-stone, you star-destroyer! Yourself threw you so high,- but every thrown stone- must fall!
Condemned of yourself, and to your own stoning: O Zarathustra, far indeed threw you your stone- but upon yourself will it recoil!"
Then was the dwarf silent; and it lasted long. The silence, however, oppressed me; and to be thus in pairs, one is verily lonesomer than when alone!
I ascended, I ascended, I dreamt, I thought,- but everything oppressed me. A sick one did I resemble, whom bad torture wearies, and a worse dream reawakens out of his first sleep.-
But there is something in me which I call courage: it has hitherto slain for me every dejection. This courage at last bade me stand still and say: "Dwarf! Thou! Or I!"-
For courage is the best killer,- courage which attacks: for in every attack there is sound of triumph. Man, however, is the most courageous animal: thereby has he overcome every animal. With sound of triumph has he overcome every pain; human pain, however, is the sorest pain.
Courage kills also giddiness at abysses: and where does man not stand at abysses! Is not seeing itself- seeing abysses?
Courage is the best killer: courage kills also fellow-suffering. Fellow-suffering, however, is the deepest abyss: as deeply as man looks into life, so deeply also does he look into suffering.
Courage, however, is the best killer, courage which attacks: it kills even death itself; for it says: "Was that life? Well! Once more!"
In such speech, however, there is much sound of triumph. He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

"Halt, dwarf!" said I. "Either I- or you! I, however, am the stronger of the two:- you knowest not my abysmal thought! It- could you not endure!"
Then happened that which made me lighter: for the dwarf sprang from my shoulder, the prying sprite! And it squatted on a stone in front of me. There was however a gateway just where we halted.
"Look at this gateway! Dwarf!" I continued, "it has two faces. Two roads come together here: these has no one yet gone to the end of.
This long lane backwards: it continues for an eternity. And that long lane forward- that is another eternity.
They are antithetical to one another, these roads; they directly abut on one another:- and it is here, at this gateway that they come together. The name of the gateway is inscribed above: 'This Moment.'
But should one follow them further- and ever further and further on, think you, dwarf, that these roads would be eternally antithetical?"-
"Everything straight lies," murmured the dwarf, contemptuously. "All truth is crooked; time itself is a circle."
"You spirit of gravity!" said I wrathfully, "do not take it too lightly! Or I shall let you squat where you squat, Haltfoot,- and I carried you high!"
"Observe," continued I, "This Moment! From the gateway, This Moment, there runs a long eternal lane backwards: behind us lies an eternity.
Must not whatever can run its course of all things, have already run along that lane? Must not whatever can happen of all things have already happened, resulted, and gone by?
And if everything has already existed, what think you, dwarf, of This Moment? Must not this gateway also- have already existed?
And are not all things closely bound together in such wise that This Moment draws all coming things after it? Consequently- itself also?
For whatever can run its course of all things, also in this long lane outward- must it once more run!-
And this slow spider which creeps in the moonlight, and this moonlight itself, and you and I in this gateway whispering together, whispering of eternal things- must we not all have already existed?
-And must we not return and run in that other lane out before us, that long weird lane- must we not eternally return?"

--------------------

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: NetDiver]
    #18858000 - 09/18/13 01:12 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

I understand the concept.  Seems like just another baseless afterlife theory to me.  We arrived here once.  It's possible it could happen again, but hardly necessary.

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

#18858067 - 09/18/13 01:29 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

There's no evidence for anything, before or after life. What seems likely is that momentum triggered this universe which means that time and space never truly end in the way we conceive it might.

--------------------
rahz

"The object of opening the mind, as of opening the mouth, is to shut it again on something solid." - Gilbert Keith Chesterton

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

#18858104 - 09/18/13 01:35 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Sleepwalker said:
I understand the concept.  Seems like just another baseless afterlife theory to me.  We arrived here once.  It's possible it could happen again, but hardly necessary.

Calling it an "afterlife theory" makes it clear that you, in fact, do not understand the concept, as there's nothing supernatural about it, nor is an "afterlife" part of it in any sense. The entire point of the Eternal Recurrence is that there's only life and nothing else outside of it. That's the exact opposite of an afterlife.

Plus, what are the alternatives to us arriving here again? An eternity of nothingness? Sorry, but that's not possible. On an eternal timeline, any event which is possible will occur an infinite number of times. Simple math.

--------------------

OfflineMemories
 User Gallery

Loc: Suwannee River
Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: NetDiver]
    #18858617 - 09/18/13 03:10 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Samurai Drifter said:
Plus, what are the alternatives to us arriving here again? An eternity of nothingness?

Well one alternative is that the universe's final state will be heat death.

Quote:

On an eternal timeline, any event which is possible will occur an infinite number of times. Simple math.

That is only if the universe is a cycle. Also, I remember Diploid claiming that this statement isn't true mathematically for more than two dimensions.

Edited by Memories (09/18/13 03:13 PM)

InvisibleRahz
Alive Again
Male

Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: Memories]
    #18858648 - 09/18/13 03:16 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

From what I understand the energy invested in the universe is what gives rise to time and space. Once everything has dissolved sufficiently the tendencies that give rise to space time will also relax. The universe might be spread out 50 trillion light years but when space time starts to 'droop' that 50 trillion light years doesn't necessarily amount to anything. My guess is that as soon as space time can't hold itself together the singularity expands again.

If it's proven (which I'm not clear on the specifics) that time and space are a product (which therefore can be deconstructed like everything else), then heat death isn't a viable finality.

--------------------
rahz

InvisibleSleepwalker
Overshoes

#18858649 - 09/18/13 03:16 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Samurai Drifter said:
Calling it an "afterlife theory" makes it clear that you, in fact, do not understand the concept, as there's nothing supernatural about it, nor is an "afterlife" part of it in any sense.

Except in the sense that it's something that will supposedly happen after this life.  Nitpicking my word choice.

OfflineNetDiver
Wandering Mindfuck

#18858670 - 09/18/13 03:20 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

More accurately it says that there's no "before" and "after" to life. Not nitpicking your word choice any more than is necessary for a philosophical debate.

--------------------

OfflineMemories
 User Gallery

Loc: Suwannee River
Re: There was a finite amount of time before you came into this life [Re: Rahz]
    #18858750 - 09/18/13 03:35 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rahz said:
From what I understand the energy invested in the universe is what gives rise to time and space. Once everything has dissolved sufficiently the tendencies that give rise to space time will also relax. The universe might be spread out 50 trillion light years but when space time starts to 'droop' that 50 trillion light years doesn't necessarily amount to anything. My guess is that as soon as space time can't hold itself together the singularity expands again.

If it's proven (which I'm not clear on the specifics) that time and space are a product (which therefore can be deconstructed like everything else), then heat death isn't a viable finality.

I believe you are alluding to the idea known as the Big Crunch, where spacetime collapses back into a singularity.

The Big Crunch is another possibility for the fate of the universe based on current knowledge.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Kraken Kratom Shop: Red Vein Kratom