Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineBackhand_Flash
Stranger

Opinion wanted on bulding terrarium.
    #1885110 - 09/05/03 01:46 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I am a first time grower so bare with me. My BRF/VERM jars are fully colonized and ready to be birthed. I was planning on trying to grow them in an old home audio speaker. It is about three feet tall and two feet deep. I was thinking about putting it on its side (to accommodate more jars). My only concerns en lie in the area of sterility. What would be the best way to grow in this manner?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Opinion wanted on bulding terrarium. [Re: Backhand_Flash]
    #1885212 - 09/05/03 02:18 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Well... that's a new one... I wouldn't worry about sterility too much, colonized cakes are pretty resiliant, but how are you planing to maintain humidity and facilitate air exchange? I think you would have to protect the speaker walls in some way to prevent them rotting... and have you thought about a light source? More info would be helpful :grin:

OfflineBackhand_Flash
Stranger

Re: Opinion wanted on bulding terrarium. [Re: OJK]
    #1887049 - 09/06/03 12:50 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I was planning on fanning or possibly having a small fan on a timer to insure good air exchange.  In the department of heat and humidity I was going to have an aquarium heater in a bowl of water with a little h2o2 to keep it clean.  I was very tempted to use my reptiles fogger(Hagen Reptile Exo-Terra Mini Fogger), If you think it would be better or even worth while let me know.  I was thinking about sticking in a small night light or Christmas light to give them something to grow to.  If the rotting wood may be an issue, perhaps I should cover the walls with saran wrap?  Maybe not..  Thanks a lot for your time and sharing of knowledge.  If you have any other comments or ideas, please let me know. :thumbup:

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #1887641 - 09/06/03 04:29 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

You would definitely need to cover the walls really well with some sort of plastic. Some heavy duty saran wrap would probably work. Just make sure the wood is well sealed. Wood is just about one of the best places to harbor contams. I would put some geolite in the bottom and either use a fish tank bubbler or a cool mist humidifier instead of a fan. The fan will kill your humidity. Everything else sounds good. White christmas lights have been used before with much success. Just don't leave them on 24/7.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

OfflineBackhand_Flash
Stranger

Re: Opinion wanted on bulding terrarium. [Re: Demiurge]
    #1888173 - 09/06/03 12:04 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I'll give that a try. How should I have my Christmas lights? Is there a way to only have one light, or should I have more? Thanks again for the help. Your a gentleman and a scholar.

InvisibleOJK
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #1890446 - 09/07/03 07:52 AM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

I was very tempted to use my reptiles fogger(Hagen Reptile Exo-Terra Mini Fogger

I've looked at the model you mean, and have been very tempted to try it in the past... if you do decide to use it, let us know how it goes, but the Demiurge's geolite option is definitely a tried and tested (and extremely successful - cheers Magash) way to go.

Quote:

How should I have my Christmas lights? Is there a way to only have one light, or should I have more?

If you use chritmas lights, they should all be at the top of the speaker, and on on a 12h on 12h off sequence... I personally use a fluerescent aquarium light that peaks in the blue spectrum that I bought at my local pet shop. I have it on 10h then off 14h, because it's more powerful ( I use a 9w bulb ). Remember that light only tells the shrooms which way to grow, it's not used in any kind of photosynthesis.

OfflineFoxyLady17
Stranger
Loc: Alabama
    #1890700 - 09/07/03 12:52 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Nice picture next to your name Backhand :heart: :stoned: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation