Home | Community | Message Board

Lil Shop Of Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Agar and Liquid Culture

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, pH Test Strips

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

Agar for the old or finicky
    #1884413 - 09/05/03 10:40 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all; I haven't had much time to play around lately, but I thought I'd share something I found pretty interesting. This has happened twice now, both times by accident. . .

First, awhile back I tried to clone an Agaricus augustus. Going from some expert advice here, I assumed it would be a tough one to clone. Therefore, I took about 8 cuts from the fruit and put it in various agar plates; MEA, PDA, PDA+bovine serum albumin [don't ask], some sabauraud's media. . .in any case, the only one that propogated was the PDA alone. It defintely was consuming the media, as the diameter grew to about silver dollar size over the course of a couple of months. I didn't really think much of it, though it was cool. Trying to subculture onto another PDA, the transfer failed to take. Again, didn't really think much of it, I wasn't planning on doing much with it anyway.

Next, I was trying to revive a spore print that was at least 8 years old. . .I got it from a friend way back then, and for sentimental reasons wanted to rejuvinate it. Again, no growth on anything. And I had just run out of plates--until I looked into a drawer and found a couple of PDA that had been forgotten. These things were well over a year and half old, but were well-wrapped and had not dried-out. I gave it a shot and to my surprise. . .growth! When I looked back on the pictures I took of the successful augustus cloning, I could see the date on the plate I used and it was also from this very old set of PDA. [the unsuccessful augustus transfer was to a new PDA, same company]

I'm convinced there is something to this. I don't know what kind of changes could occur in old plates without them drying out, but goddam. . .ancient petris for tough cultures/spores has worked twice now. It could [hopefully] just be something as simple as pH, but there could be more going on.

I'm sure not many people run across or plan on storing petris for this long, but it could have a role in reviving some of the heirloom spore prints talked about here recently.

For what it's worth. . .

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDanKnugget
Mysterious Traveller
Male

Loc: On a boat
Re: Agar for the old or finicky [Re: Suntzu]
    #1890007 - 09/07/03 02:16 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

hehe, "heirloom spore prints". roflmao! that post is a good one though, good luck!

--------------------
My 3 proverbs:
1. School is for people who don't know stuff.
2. Jobs are for losers.
3. Reading is for people with nothing better to do.

Invisiblemicro
bunbun has a gungun
Male User Gallery

Loc: Brick City
Re: Agar for the old or finicky [Re: DanKnugget]
    #1895515 - 09/08/03 08:39 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Lol! If you can get neopeptone for Sabauraud media a simple essential amino acid solution shouldn't be that hard to come by (i.e. the one for D-MEM.) Use it at 1/2 x and it'll supercharge your media (confirmed by many, many tests.)

PDA has always worked best for me. I don't know why the subculture didn't work, but if the mycelium was alive it should have. Remember, too, there's always a good chance with an old sporeprint that a lot of the spores are unviable so there's a good chance it'll only show signs of life in one out of many petries.

Of course, however.... who knows?

--
Micro

--------------------
Any research paper or book for free
(Avatar is Maxxy, a character by Mizzyam, RIP)

Anonymous

Re: Agar for the old or finicky [Re: Suntzu]
    #1900145 - 09/09/03 10:55 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Offlineanotherdirtywop
shmuck

Re: Agar for the old or finicky [Re: ]
    #1908770 - 09/12/03 08:19 AM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps time allowed for some sort of beneficial bacteria to colonize the plate....?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Agar, Malt Extract, Petri Dish, Potato Dextrose, pH Test Strips

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation >> Mushroom Cultivation Archive >> Agar and Liquid Culture