Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAidan
Stranger
I'm a confused newbie with a picture/question to show/ask
    #1881573 - 09/04/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

This is my first time trying to grow, and everything has been smooth and straightforeward up until this point.But now I'm a little confused. I've searched through some information, but still feel a little muddled. I've supplied a picture of my situation. The picture is inside the fruiting chamber. The pie tin contains a vermiculite casing with 2 1/2 pints of corn substrate in it. The pie tin is sitting on a 1" layer of perlite inside a styrofoam box. The box has a lid with a 'window' cut into it, which is covered tightly by saran wrap and duct taped to the styrofoam.

1) Am I ready to initiate pinning? Is it too soon? Too late?

2) If I'm ready to initiate pinning, can it be done with a regular desk lamp? I've found conflicting information on this site regarding that.

3) If I'm ready to initiate pinning, I should keep it under 75 degrees with high humidity, correct?

4) Would cold shocking the casing be a good idea/bad idea/neutral idea/flat out stupid idea?

Thank you very much for any help you can give me, and don't kill the newbie, please.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: I'm a confused newbie with a picture/question to show/ask [Re: Aidan]
    #1881603 - 09/04/03 03:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Welcome newb.

1. Looks like you can start to fruit it.

2. Yes but grow bulbs are best.

3. 72 to 78 is best

4. I like to cold shock but some don?t. I?ve found it to help. Cold shocked cakes and casing of the same strains have shown to start fruiting faster when shocked. (Once again thats just me.)

I like to take the casing out of the container so I don?t miss out on side shrooms. (once again thats just me) You may want to try.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineFlipmcneil
Commander Cool

Loc: Where the wild things are
    #1881614 - 09/04/03 03:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I would say to iniate pinning now. I would also try to lower the temperature like you said. I have not had to cold shock my casings to get them to fruit. I just sit my fruiting chamber in front of the AC. It took about five days to pin. Still some people like to cold shock thiers.

--------------------

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man"
Dr. Johnson

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1881618 - 09/04/03 03:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

1) Fruit that mofo. Those heavier patches should have been patched when they first showed up but no matter. It just won't be as even.

2) Indirect natural lighting is best but that will work.

3) Corrrect, but not too far below 75F. 72F-75F is ideal.

4) Not necessary IMO, but there are those that would differ. It can't hurt in any case.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineAidan
Stranger
Re: I'm a confused newbie with a picture/question to show/ask [Re: Flipmcneil]
    #1881625 - 09/04/03 03:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If I want to remove it from the container, is it alright just to flip ot over and dump it out? It's just wet vermiculite so it seems like it'd just crumble into a formless mound, or will the mycelium hold it together?

And thanks for the help.

OfflineGregHimself
Just a guyobssesed withshroomies.
Male User Gallery

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
    #1881629 - 09/04/03 03:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the mycellium should have colonised through the verm by now enough to hold the caseing together if you remove it from pan.

--------------------
"The key to successful cultivation is to match the skills of the cultivator with the right strain on the proper substrate under ideal environmental conditions."
Paul Stamets
Growing Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms(Third Edition)

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #1881635 - 09/04/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Do your first one normally then try on the next one.

Put in moist verm, the substrate, then more moist verm. The reason I say to put in verm first is the next time it's gonna be the top of the casing when you flip it out of the container.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

OfflineAidan
Stranger
Re: I'm a confused newbie with a picture/question to show/ask [Re: Magash]
    #1881644 - 09/04/03 03:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I may not have been clear, but the popcorn is encased on both sides by moist vermiculite, so I should be good to flip it over. I think I'll get on that right now, actually.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds