Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

bulk casing in fruting chamber
    #1880899 - 09/04/03 01:07 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

have poo/straw spawn with 3 BRF cakes with coco/verm casing layer. poo/straw colonized quickly yet had hypal knots before casing layer was added. After casing layer was added while still in the incubator waiting for mycelium to colonize coco/verm it began pinning with no signs of mycelium poking thorugh casing layer, so it was moved to fruiting chamber. Fruting chamber is a tuberware with constant air exchange via fish tank air pump and walls are misted two to four times a day. No perlite is is this chamber. First flush yielded 190 wet. Yield thought to be low because of uneven pinset because of uneven colonization if any. Placed back in fruiting chamber and mycelium began to colonize and was sprayed with a light misting when it looked dry. Noticed that when sprayed it made the mycelium disappear or seemed to harm it a bit. Is this possible? Also tried to cover half with saran wrap to see if any water droplets were dripping from the top and causing the casing to be too wet. Anyway the mycelium never seemed to come back too much after the spray although there is a decent to less than decent pinset now. It is about 3-4 inch substrate and 1/4 inch casing layer. Always figured there would be shrooms everywhere but there is a lot more open space on the casing than fruitbodies. There is virtually no mycelium peeking through now although the pins are all quite healthy and rapidly growing yet it does not seem like a very good flush. They recieve no light except for when I open to peek on them, similar to the neglect tek. However, with the neglect tek they are never even placed in a fruting chamber but I think this is because of a deeper substrate and thicker casing layer to maintain it's own humid climate. Is the fruting chamber overkill or is it needed for smaller casings? Are those incredible flushes usually because they are innoculated with an isolate? Sorry this is so long but any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

Loc: The Richest County
Re: bulk casing in fruting chamber [Re: thisone]
    #1880919 - 09/04/03 01:16 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

maybe you let it colonize too long before applying the casing layer? It could've overlayed below the casing layer resulting in poor flushes, the smaller the casing, the more help will be needed when it comes to humidity. It's usually the bigger casings or bulk grows that can do without any external humidity source.

Yes, direct moisture contact can bruise, stun, and/or cause aborts, be careful how and where to mist, you must be judicial in how you mist when the casing is at the pinning stage.

has the visible mycelia turned grey or black? it could be contaminated, give the casing a whiff.

They recieve no light?? maybe this is the main cause to your problems, for maximum pinnage light is neccessary.

--------------------
Wee, sleeket, cowran, tim'rous beastie,
O, what panic's in thy breastie!
Thou need na start awa sae hasty,
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: bulk casing in fruting chamber [Re: soochi]
    #1880937 - 09/04/03 01:21 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

okay great info. Will switch the lid to allow more light in. Not contaminated so that's good news so far. Will continue to be careful though. Do you think the light really could make that big of a difference with pinning? If that is the case why were they so prolific in the bluk neglect? Not trying to be argumentative, just inquisitive. Overlay may have been the case since left out of town a couple days and it got a bit too far although the myc. still looked healthy and fluffy underneath when cased, not hard like overlay.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#1880955 - 09/04/03 01:29 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

it may not have looked like overlay then, but remember that mycelia growth has a momentum, it continues to grow even after fruiting conditions have been induced.

Yes, light makes a big difference. I don't really know why people favor neglect teks, maybe its the ease and lack of maintenance, but you won't get the amount of fruits that a proper tek gives you. A little extra effort on your part goes a long way.

good luck.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1881246 - 09/04/03 03:17 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

should a saran wrap layer be left on while in the fruting chamber to keep any drops from falling on the casing layer or will this throw off humidity?

--------------------

Invisiblesoochi
Chef
 User Gallery

#1881305 - 09/04/03 03:41 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

No, if it's in a fruiting chamber than just let it be. I only suggested the plastic wrap for those that don't have a terrarium or are lacking in space.

--------------------
Wi' bickering brattle!

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

#1885059 - 09/05/03 01:36 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Why do people go to the trouble of making elaborate fruiting chambers in closets with humidifiers to hold numerous but less thick casings when the bulk neglect tek does not require an outside source of humidity because of the thick casing layer and get good results? Also just saw an article somewhere about how the casing layer should be soaked. Think it was Stamets. Soaked for the first four days and the lightly misted to keep at capacity until mycelium pokes through casing layer. Soaking the casing seemed to halt the mycelium growth not speed it.
Has any one every tried mixing store bought poo/compost with verm and straw to try the lighten it up and keep it moist?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Air Pump, Brown Rice Flour, Paul Stamets, Perlite, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation