Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Euthanasia
    #1880368 - 09/04/03 04:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Im going to start by saying similar things have almost certainly been posted but anyways.

Doesn't it seem a little odd to anyone that if an animal is severely ill and/or in a lot of pain we spare them the agony by killing them.
However with a human this seems to be considered the wrong thing to do, even though most people would consider humans to be superior to animals. Yet we do not have the decency to offer them the same treatment, animals do not have the choice to make this decision yet with people they are sometimes all too willing to die yet we do nothing.

What does everyone think about this? have i missed the point or should euthanasia seriously be considered for legalisation.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZildjian
human

Loc: new zealand
Re: Euthanasia [Re: Oook]
    #1880435 - 09/04/03 06:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It should be legal. I think some euthanasia campaigners in Australia started distributing 'death bags' to encourage people to kill themselves if they wanted to. I thought it was a good idea, but the bags looked so inviting i felt like killing myself.

The bag is basically a plastic bag (the non-noisy kind) with a elastic opening. You slip it over your head and go to sleep. IT'S THAT EASY!

InvisibleClean
the lense
Male User Gallery

Re: Euthanasia [Re: Zildjian]
    #1880438 - 09/04/03 06:10 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

do they offer a money back gaurantee if you wake up when you start suffocating and destroy the bag in a pirmal fury?

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #1880439 - 09/04/03 06:11 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Zildjian said:
IT'S THAT EASY!

Not if you are completely paralized and cannot move at all, but still suffer amazing pain and continously wish for your death to release you...
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: Euthanasia [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1880461 - 09/04/03 06:28 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"Not if you are completely paralized and cannot move at all, but still suffer amazing pain and continously wish for your death to release you..."

But how would you get the dam thing on in the first place, I guess anone helping you would be done for murder or something.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

Invisiblemr crisper

#1880526 - 09/04/03 07:36 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

you could do a michael hutchence inxs style departure with one of those plastic bags....or at least practise a lot.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1880608 - 09/04/03 08:42 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think euthanasia should be legal (as it already is in some countries), but it should not be handled by the same doctor as the one who treats the person. Reason: when an animal is taken to a veterinary, the vet works for the interest of the owner of the animal, not for the animal itself. The owner decides whether the animal should be treated or killed. In the human case, the doctor always works to restore the patient's health, never for something or someone else (at least that is how it should be -- doctors who see themselves as servants of the state are an especially chilling prospect).

Ideally, the doctor who treats the patient should always be an advocate for continued treatment, who argues with both the suicidal patient and with the representatives from the Euthanasia Corporation presenting their seductive brochures...

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: Euthanasia [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1880997 - 09/04/03 11:48 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Man, I fucking hate old people.  80% of them are slow, dull, malcontents with no place in the world.  They live off my social security $ and cancel out my votes for more modern, intelligent policy. 

If a senior citizen wants to off himself, I'll drive him to the hospital for the injection.

But on the other hand, it would be pretty creepy to have a "logan's run" or "soylent green" type of scenario.  If euthanasia exists, it should definitely be voluntary.

I also believe that the elderly should have less rights to reflect their cognitive deficiencies.  But it would have to be a case by case thing- not just some arbitrary age limit where you lose your rights.  I've always thought rights should be contingent on intelligence anyway, but then, I would.  :smile:

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Euthanasia [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1881023 - 09/04/03 11:59 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

> but it should not be handled by the same doctor as the one who treats the person.

I too feel that euthanasia should be legal. I do not agree that a doctor should be the one helping out...

The following is from the Oath of the Hippocrates (Hippocratic Oath) taken by medical doctors:

Quote:

I will follow that system of regimen which, according to my ability and judgment, I consider for the benefit of my patients, and abstain from whatever is deleterious and mischievous. I will give no deadly medicine to any one if asked, nor suggest any such counsel; and in like manner I will not give to a woman a pessary to produce abortion.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1881038 - 09/04/03 12:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
They live off my social security $ and cancel out my votes for more modern, intelligent policy.

I hope you're just being funny. My grandfather payed into your social security his whole fucking life. Please tell me it was a joke.

As for the rest of your post, quit being so arrogant in your youth.

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Euthanasia [Re: EvilGir]
    #1881057 - 09/04/03 12:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jezu said:
But how would you get the dam thing on in the first place, I guess anone helping you would be done for murder or something.

Yeah, this is my point. And this is where the issue gets comlicated.. when suicide is no longer an option, than this is where euthansia stems from. Myself, I guess I believe that people with the best interest of the person should be able to decide IF the person themself is not able to voice his opinion on the matter.

Of course, this could be misused, too, just like innocent people being executed.. Every system has this, though.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinemr_minds_eye
Disposable Wage Whore
Male User Gallery
Loc: Samsara
    #1881240 - 09/04/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't know how I would feel about legalizing it. Decriminalization I think would be better. I think assisted suicid should be legalized for the termanaly ill though.

--------------------
Our quest for discovery fuels our creativity in all fields, not just science. If we reached the end of the line, the human spirit would shrivel and die. But I don't think we will ever stand still: we shall increase in complexity, if not in depth, and shall always be the center on an expanding horizon of possibilities.
-Stephen Hawking

Offlinelucid
Jack's AlteredConsciousness

Loc: up on the bidet
Re: Euthanasia [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #1881428 - 09/04/03 02:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I fully support Youth-in-Asia...  :tongue:
sorry but this thread had it comming... :smirk:
that is all...

--------------------
"no-mind un-thinks no-thought..."

OfflineOook
Oook!

Re: Euthanasia [Re: lucid]
    #1881599 - 09/04/03 03:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"I fully support Youth-in-Asia"
rehehehe wow it sounds the same, man thats hilarious.

How about involuntary euthanasia with lucid first on the list?

"Man, I fucking hate old people"
stfu, who dyu think fought to preserve the freedom of people like you in the world wars? I agree old people can be annoying but they at least deserve our respect, many of them are fairly happy anyway.

Offlinelucid

#1881731 - 09/04/03 04:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Oook said:
"I fully support Youth-in-Asia"
rehehehe wow it sounds the same, man thats hilarious.

How about involuntary euthanasia with lucid first on the list?

To show my support, I'll whole-heartadly give myself
up to this cause :smirk:
I'm a suicidal depressive, ya picked the wrong guy  :tongue:
that's like offering me a piece of heaven :grin: 

--------------------

OfflinePyronate
Prying open mythird eye

Loc: Forever I walk among the ...
    #1881734 - 09/04/03 04:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think it should go one step further - there should be government clinics where you can go and get a free lethal injection, regardless of your present health.

It should be a personal right to have readily available access to a dignified, painless death.

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom... keep that in mind at all times."

--Bill Hicks (RIP)

Offlinelucid

Re: Euthanasia [Re: Pyronate]
    #1881754 - 09/04/03 04:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Pyronate said:
I think it should go one step further - there should be government clinics where you can go and get a free lethal injection, regardless of your present health.

It should be a personal right to have readily available access to a dignified, painless death. 

You'll get my vote in the next election :lol:

--------------------

Offlinelucid

#1881771 - 09/04/03 04:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Actually, I don't even care to die a "dignified" death, as long
as it's "relatively" painless...n there's plenty of ways to do that...
I'm jus alive cause there's people who would be destroyed if I
took my own life - my family mainly...damn them :frown:
There wuz a time when I lived because I loved life...
but it ain't like that no mo... :smirk:
but I digress...
I wish we could change all of society's view on death n suicide...
heck the Japanese actually honor it !

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Euthanasia [Re: Pyronate]
    #1881941 - 09/04/03 05:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Pyronate said:

If it should be a right, then we should also have the right to a dignified, painless LIFE. If one chooses to die, they should have the right to die. If one chooses to LIVE, they should have a right to LIVE. Which means no more bombs killing innocent people, no "bad guys" killing people, which means nobody killing anybody..

One extremity must have a completely equal and completely opposite extremity at the other end of the spectrum..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinelucid

Re: Euthanasia [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1882072 - 09/04/03 05:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Enuff Morbidity !
Happy thoughts !
lets talk aboot cartoons !

That's all folks :lol:
sorry couldn't resist  :tongue:

--------------------

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada Flag
    #1882157 - 09/04/03 05:56 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

lucid said:
Enuff Morbidity !
Happy thoughts !
lets talk aboot cartoons !

That's all folks :lol:
sorry couldn't resist  :tongue: 

Yeah but at THAT angle, he's gonna miss, maybe this is a cartoon representation of LoOnEr? :grin: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

Offlinelucid

Re: Euthanasia [Re: FreakQlibrium]
    #1882197 - 09/04/03 06:03 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yea, I think he's shootin the hat :grin:

--------------------

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Re: Euthanasia [Re: mr_minds_eye]
    #1882626 - 09/04/03 07:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hope you're just being funny. My grandfather payed into your social security his whole fucking life. Please tell me it was a joke.

As for the rest of your post, quit being so arrogant in your youth.

I dont see the humor in the fact that when it comes time for me to retire there will be nothing left because of piss poor prior planning of the people who started Social Security in the first place (my grandparents generation). Why should I have to pay for their mistakes? Imean, social security is fucked. Someone will have to pay for this: thats for sure. The AARP generation made the mistakes. So why should I have to pay for them? I didnt have anything to do with it.

Oh yeah, and my grandfather was like 30 when they passed Social Security. He didnt pay into it his "whole life", but I will. Of course, only he will benefit from those payments, unless something drastic is done in the form of federal supplementation. As long as the elderly vote republican in record numbers, this will never happen.

The fact of the matter is, we live in a world where people (like me) who grew up with the Microsoft Internet are being told what to do by people who grew up with radio and black and white TV. Not only that, we are forced to facilitate their existence with the fruits of our labor.

I have every reason to be pissed off about this. It effects my everyday existence in many negative ways.

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1882708 - 09/04/03 07:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I dont see the humor in the fact that when it comes time for me to retire there will be nothing left

Me neither.

Quote:

because of piss poor prior planning of the people who started Social Security in the first place (my grandparents generation).

More accurately it is the government of OUR generation. They are the ones who mishandle the money.

Quote:

Why should I have to pay for their mistakes? Imean, social security is fucked.

Why should they have to pay ,with thier lives,for the mistakes of our generation?

Quote:

Oh yeah, and my grandfather was like 30 when they passed Social Security. He didnt pay into it his "whole life",

I bet he did not retire until he was passed 60. 30+ years gives him some claim to the funds.

Quote:

The fact of the matter is, we live in a world where people (like me) who grew up with the Microsoft Internet are being told what to do by people who grew up with radio and black and white TV.

So what. Grow up and then YOU can tell young people what to do. Assuming they don't think like you and have you put to sleep.

Quote:

I have every reason to be pissed off about this. It effects my everyday existence in many negative ways.

The answer is to change the system, not kill all the old people. I think you are disturbed. Of course,I don't know you, so do not take that personally.

--------------------
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

InvisibleTeragon
Noddy

Loc: Lost in the Patterns
Re: Euthanasia [Re: sirreal]
    #1882850 - 09/04/03 08:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

More accurately it is the government of OUR generation.

You speak of the govt. as if it is some being. Guess who comprised the govt. at that time? The people of that time(more or less).

Quote:

Why should they have to pay ,with thier lives,for the mistakes of our generation?

Huh?

Quote:

The answer is to change the system, not kill all the old people.

I believe the Doctor's point was that you can't change the system with all the old people around.

--------------------
need that cash to feed them jones.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1883343 - 09/04/03 10:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The fact of the matter is, we live in a world where people (like me) who grew up with the Microsoft Internet are being told what to do by people who grew up with radio and black and white TV.

Do you think it's right for you to use the Internet, TV, refrigerators and electric lights, even though it was earlier generations who invented these things and paid for their development? Wouldn't it be more fair if every generation had to start over from scratch?

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

#1883439 - 09/04/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

More accurately it is the government of OUR generation. They are the ones who mishandle the money.

The shit has been mishandled from the very beginning. Social Security did not "go sour" at one point in history, it was fucked since its inception. The people who voted for and passed that act were either ignorant of or disregardful of the effect it would have on future generations. Neither is an excuse for benefiting from the loss of my generation.

Quote:

From a previous post on this thread: "it would be pretty creepy to have a "logan's run" or "soylent green" type of scenario. If euthanasia exists, it should definitely be voluntary."

I was not arguing for forced Euthanasia. I was arguing for diminished rights according to diminished capacity. Do they give blind people driver's licenses? No. Should senile, behind the times people have a say in public policy? Hell no. (Note: I am perfectly aware that not all Elderly people are senile and behind the times. One of my grandfathers is 90+yo, surfs the net, and is sharp as a tack. My other grandfather shits his pants and calls black people niggers.)

Quote:

I bet he did not retire until he was passed 60. 30+ years gives him some claim to the funds.

Sure. But he's already collected more than his share at the expense of mine.

Quote:

Grow up and then YOU can tell young people what to do.

I have no desire to tell young people what to do. I can already tell my 12yo brother is going to be smarter than me. I cant wait to see what the next generation cooks up, assuming they arent oppressed by an ignorant older generation.

My only wish is that the right people have the greatest power. Once a new generation has come to fruition, it should have reign to do its thing. IQ goes up with every new generation, not to mention the environmental and developmental benefits each new generation recieves from new technology and better education. By the time most people reach the age of 25 or 30, they are more than intelectually qualified to do their parent's jobs.

Quote:

Agreed. I'm a big fan of the concept of intellectual meritocracy, but its really to radical of an idea to be tried, although its very interesting to discuss.

The fact of the matter is that a person's cognitive facilities get greater and greater until they hit a peak around 40 or 50. As I stated earlier, the effects of natural selection and technological influence are making each new generation more intelligent, with access to more information than ever.

In our current system, privelege is granted for age, credentials, and assets. Would a system linking rights to aptitude be better? It might give too much power to the youth, but maybe that will speed up progress and result in a better, richer, more efficient way of life.

Of course, worldly experience has value as well, but how does it hold up to newer, more complex experiences in the crucial stages of development? Who is more qualified to run things, the prodigy of youth, or the wisdom (?) of age?

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Re: Euthanasia [Re: Teragon]
    #1884105 - 09/05/03 06:11 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Teragon said:You speak of the govt. as if it is some being. Guess who comprised the govt. at that time? The people of that time(more or less).

The Government IS an entity.The Government has become a debt-driven monster. It may have started in your grandparents generation, but it has gotten MUCH worse in ours.If the government is run by the "people", then we should be able to change it. Be patient, the old people will die off eventually.

Quote:

I believe the Doctor's point was that you can't change the system with all the old people around.

Like I said, be patient. They have just as much right as you do.

Quote:

Huh?

What do you not understand?

--------------------
-----------

Edited by sirreal (09/05/03 06:34 AM)

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1884125 - 09/05/03 06:31 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

The shit has been mishandled from the very beginning. Social Security did not "go sour" at one point in history, it was fucked since its inception. The people who voted for and passed that act were either ignorant of or disregardful of the effect it would have on future generations. Neither is an excuse for benefiting from the loss of my generation.

I agree that social security is a crock of shit. I agree that it was a mistake. Who could argue with that! But you are suggesting old people pay for it with thier lives. I do disagree with that.

Quote:

I was not arguing for forced Euthanasia.

Anything less probably won't solve your problem.

Quote:

I was arguing for diminished rights according to diminished capacity. Do they give blind people driver's licenses?

How in the hell would that work? You can give an old person an eye test to see if they are blind.What would you do to determine wether or not they were fit to vote? Play word association with them.

State official:Black.

Old person: nigger.

State official: Axe.

Old person: Tree

At this point I guess you would tear up thier voter registration card.

Quote:

Should senile, behind the times people have a say in public policy?

In a democracy they should.Yes.

Quote:

he's already collected more than his share at the expense of mine.

The government blew all of his money, so what's left now it is yours?

Quote:

My only wish is that the right people have the greatest power.

You obviously do not want to live in a democracy.

Quote:

not to mention the environmental and developmental benefits each new generation recieves from new technology and better education.

Yeah,from the previous generation.

--------------------
-----------

Edited by sirreal (09/05/03 06:51 AM)

OfflineOook
Oook!

#1884422 - 09/05/03 08:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

waaa social security. be glad you dont live in england we get taxed for fucking everything.

"IQ goes up with every new generation" so has america got a time machine that went back in time and got george bush from before humans evolved from primates?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1884470 - 09/05/03 08:58 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

> "IQ goes up with every new generation" so has america got a time machine that went back in time and got george bush from before humans evolved from primates?

LOL... say what you want, but the [insert favorite derogatory thought here] got elected president. (I don't want to think about what that says about the media's effect on the American public... -sigh-)

... and to all those whinning about paying social security and the old people taking it all...

[soapbox]

I have been paying taxes my entire adult life so that a bunch of ungrateful-snot-nosed-little-kids can go to school. I don't have any children of my own, so all that tax money for education went to somebody else. Those roads you drive on, those police and firemen that protect you, those teachers that teach you, those parks that you play in, etc... my tax money went to pay for all of that. Next time your mom makes you take out the trash be thankful that some old fart payed his taxes so you only have to take it to the curb instead of having to haul it all the way to the dump.

[/soapbox]

DoctorJ, you do have a good point, just a bit narrow. Nowhere in the US constitution does the government have the authority to take from one group of people to give to another group.... which is what happens with social security, welfare, etc...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Offlinelucid

Re: Euthanasia [Re: Seuss]
    #1885169 - 09/05/03 12:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
... and to all those whinning about paying social security and the old people taking it all...

[soapbox]

I have been paying taxes my entire adult life so that a bunch of ungrateful-snot-nosed-little-kids can go to school.  I don't have any children of my own, so all that tax money for education went to somebody else.  Those roads you drive on, those police and firemen that protect you, those teachers that teach you, those parks that you play in, etc... my tax money went to pay for all of that.  Next time your mom makes you take out the trash be thankful that some old fart payed his taxes so you only have to take it to the curb instead of having to haul it all the way to the dump.

[/soapbox]

U tell em Seuss :grin:
I like the "soapbox" insert :grin:
reminds me of the Fight Club quote, slightly out of context here, but
what the heck, I love that flix...
"We cook your meals. We haul your trash. We connect your calls, we drive your ambulances. We guard you while you sleep. Do not fuck with us" -Tyler Derden, Fight Club
It's the most Zen movie Ima ever seen. 

--------------------

OfflineOook
Oook!

#1885406 - 09/05/03 01:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

BTW does anyone else think, that when he shoots himself he doesnt die because his two personalities and the good traits in each are merging together?

OfflineOook
Oook!

#1885409 - 09/05/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

George bush IS a chimp you know im right. damn if i listed all the moronic things hes ever said it would crash the shroomery server.

Offlinelucid

#1885429 - 09/05/03 01:33 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Oook said:
BTW does anyone else think, that when he shoots himself he doesnt die because his two personalities and the good traits in each are merging together? 

I'll let u know how it goes :lol:
Nah, jus kiddin  :tongue:
jokin about this is the only thing that keeps me going so please forgive the morbid humor  :sun: 

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds