Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleCow Shit Collector
Patty Poacher

Loc: Random Field
24''x24'' Flow Hood Questions
    #1880097 - 09/04/03 01:23 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

After alot of research into the area of flow hoods I have come to the conclusion that I really want one!

My construction design will be coming from HERE(check it out :wink:)
mycotopia.net- Flow hood by Nan.
In the design, the blower cat. # was 7F735 which specifies:
Air Flow @ 0.900 Inch Static Pressure 635 CFM.
Doesn't seem to go to 1 or 1.2...
This is a furnace blower, which I may just opt for the squirrel cage or in-line centrifugial, unsure yet(?)

I think this design is awesome and I love the size and all.

Filter from Filtersrx.com

and

Blower from Grainger.com

There seem to be some discrepancies into static pressures being (from what I've noticed) either a) 0.08 or b) 1.2-1.25

I would lean more towards the 1.2-1.25 because of THIS:
Fungifun- Matching a Blower w/ a Filter

So basically I want to do a 24x24'' HEPA.  w/the blower on top w/the pre-filter.

Here are the calculations:

2x2ft HEPA = 4ft^2

@ 100ft/m x 4ft^2 = 400  CFM  (680m^3/h)

Static Pressure would be @ 1.2 (assumed.)

SOOOOOO
A blower with a CFM of 400 @ 1.25 SP is what I'm looking for then right?

I just want to check the measurements to make sure I have everything correct here.

I thought this was interesting as well. :smile:

If all goes well I'll contribute a pictorial  :wink:

Thank you everyone!

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
Re: 24''x24'' Flow Hood Questions [Re: Cow Shit Collector]
    #1881129 - 09/04/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That's a really nice hood, but I think I would make some slight changes. I would make the hood a completely seperate unit from the workspace, just for convenience and mobility. Also, I think I would use a nice 7 or 9 ply birch plywood rather than malamine, that's just personal aesthetics there though. Of course, be careful if you implement the uv light.

Also, about the questioned resistance, your link to filters Rx wasn't to a particular filter, but from this chart,
filtersRx hepa chart
you can see that all their hepa filters in the HS category offer 1.0 static pressure, and the HX series offer 1.4 static pressure. Account for any resistance offered by prefilters.

I'd go for the HS series, 99.99% over the 99.97's. Also, I'd probably save some money and go for the wood frame. While at it, the 24X36 wood frame filter is only $30 more than the 24X24. That's just me though.

I wouldn't bother with the high capacity filters (the 12 inch deep ones) a regular capacity hepa will last many years under normal working conditions if using prefilters.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: 24''x24'' Flow Hood Questions [Re: mycofile]
    #1881887 - 09/04/03 04:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I was actually planning on building a flowhood using the filter you mention, model HSP724365. I've been looking through grainger for blowers and have been unable to find one that blows 600-700cfm at 1.2sp.

Patty Poacher

Re: 24''x24'' Flow Hood Questions [Re: YidakiMan]
    #1882020 - 09/04/03 05:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

HSP924365 is a 99.99% one.
the one you mentioned is 99.97%

Does that 1/5th of a percent even matter?

Ok so 24x36 (keeps getting bigger and bigger :smile:)  Now we are talking huge.  ok so 600-700 CFM should suffice.  I'll look on Grainger

EDIT:

Ok, what if they dont show the certain SP for a blower.  IE:  Blower A has a blank where CFP/SP @ 1.2 should be, but at .8 SP, it has a rating quite high.  Does this mean that the unit can't handle pressures over .8?  I wouldn't want to risk blowing the thing up 

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Edited by Cow Shit Collector (09/04/03 05:37 PM)

Patty Poacher

#1882128 - 09/04/03 05:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Is one to assume that if a static pressure is not specified, then it is 0 or 1'?

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Invisiblecalicyco
    #1882138 - 09/04/03 05:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

All that will happen is the blower will turn on and nothing will come out of the hood.

A good blower for the 36x24x6 99.99 hepa: Dayton 4C831. Search for it on Grainger, or go here:
http://www.electricmotorwarehouse.com/dayton_blower.htm

There are others as well, this is just one I know works. Keep in mind you will hardly feel anything at all in front of a flow hood, so dont freak out when you think it doesn't work :-)

You need a powerfull blower, be SURE to get one sized properly. Check out this thread, which is me worrying about my own flow hood:

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...rue#Post1518026

They are wonderfull things and contams will be a thing of the past.

And 36x24 is a HUGE hood. It will be huge, heavy and hard to move around. Make sure it will fit through your doorway :-)

http://www.fungi.com also sells blowers, the 1/2 hp blower that Stamets sells is the same one I mentioned above, the 4c831. Stamets sells a mounting bracket for it, I had to construct my own, its a kludge but it works just fine.

Have fun!

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: 24''x24'' Flow Hood Questions [Re: calicyco]
    #1882651 - 09/04/03 07:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Mine will be a vertical hood, similar to 420M's from Nan's Nook. Here is a link to his construction. http://www.nansnook.com/archives/tek/420mhood.htm
I have decided to cut the size of mine down to 24 inches by 12 inches. I think that this is the most cost efficient size and it is more appropriate for myself.
I will be using the 99.99% filter with a particle board frame. The model number is HSP924125. It has a static pressure of 1.4inches. I haven't selected a prefilter, however, I assume it will be around .2 inches of static pressure. Total static pressure around 1.6 inches. I need a fan that blows 200cfm at 1.6 inches static pressure.

Here is a direct link to the Dayton 4C381. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/productdetail.jsp?xi=xi&ItemId=1611769315
If you notice on the right, it does not give values over .8 inch static pressure. How would you estimate the cubic feet per minute at a higher static pressure? Do you draw the graph and continue it using a line of best fit? (I know that I will need a different blower for this differently powered than this one; however, the method is relevant to the discussion.)

Patty Poacher

#1882684 - 09/04/03 07:53 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the link! I'm still checking out options. I think the 24x30 is a bit big for what I really need to do, unless I can find a cheap blower around. But the hunt is on for the most effective Flow hood. I've yet to hear of any designs failing, I'm wondering if vertical has any adavntages over horizontal. I'm also thinking of doing a vertical setup with a nice piece of equip I may be able to get.

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1882714 - 09/04/03 08:00 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Patty Poacher

#1883208 - 09/04/03 10:01 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

YEAH! thanks, bookmarked that sucker!  :grin:

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Invisiblemycofile
Pooh-Bah
 User Gallery

Loc: Uranus
Trusted Cultivator
    #1884997 - 09/05/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Cow shit,
Quote:

the one you mentioned is 99.97%

Does that 1/5th of a percent even matter?

I would say absolutely. I'm sure you would get better results out of a .97 hood than nothing, but with all this money and effort, why not get the best you can? It's not that big of a price difference.

Quote:

Is one to assume that if a static pressure is not specified, then it is 0 or 1'?

I would never assume anything, but if I were, I would assume 0 if nothing else is stated. If a fan doesn't list a sp, I would assume the rating is for free air delivery, aka sp of 0.
Calicyco,
Quote:

Keep in mind you will hardly feel anything at all in front of a flow hood, so dont freak out when you think it doesn't work :-)

I'm not so sure this is true. I used a professionally purchased hood (fp) and there was a noticable breeze blowing out of it. In fact, a decent amount of airflow is necessarry to A) keep particles blown out of the airstream rather than sucked into it from the sides of the stream and B) inflate spawn bags before sealing. I've also used an underpowered hood before, and was dissappointed at trying to inflate spawn bags post sealing.

Yidaki,
Quote:

The model number is HSP924125. It has a static pressure of 1.4inches

the chart from filters rx (linked in my post above) shows that filter to have a sp of 1.0 inches, not 1.4.

So far as vertical/horizontal designs, I've only used a vertical one once. I thought it could be very limiting so far as the work area. I found horizontal ones to be much easier to build, and more versitile to use. A horizontal hood at it's simplest is just a box, stack another box ontop of it if you want an easy way to mount a prefilter and contain the fan. Not that more complicated designs aren't nice, but simple boxes are easy to build.

--------------------
"From a certain point of view"
-Jedi Master Obi Wan Kenobi

PM me with any cultivation questions.

I just looked at my profile and realized I had a website at one point in time on geocities, it's not there anymore and I have no idea what I had on it. Anybody remember my website from several years aga? PM if so please.

Invisiblecalicyco
    #1885001 - 09/05/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Well, a vertical hood is not a laminar flow hood. Its a positive pressure cabinet, but not laminar flow. It should still work, as long as you keep the inside absolutely sterile and have enough pressure to keep turbulance from sucking air in at the opening. What are the advantages to this design? Its not a standard lab design by any means. Laminar flow hoods have a specific design structure and work wonderfully. Is this one more cost or size effective?

I'm sure for these purposes its adequate though.

As for the blower, you just overestimate it if you can't get ratings for the pressure you need. I just guestimated it, and compared the design to what Stamets uses. Stamets uses the same blower at the same rating for the same size filters, so I just assumed it would work, and it did.

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1885383 - 09/05/03 01:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Argh, damnit. I just lost a long post with lots of references. My own computer fried a week ago. I have been using my flatmate's laptop with low levels of success. This thing is a piece of shit. I think I have dropped more productive things in the toilet. Grrr... This is going to be much shorter than what I had typed up but lost.

DirtyWOP's flowhood also has a defined workspace that I like. However, I simply do not like the looks of his design. It needs a hardcore streamlining.

This unit described below the links seems way to complicated for my purposes. It also looks way too complicated to build.

Anyway, I picked 420M's design because his write up was the most understandable and seemed easiest to replicate. He built the cabinet to replace Nan's design. Anno's flowhood design is very similar to that one as well. Comparing the three designs, I like the defined workspace of the 420M design. I also like the height and small footprint. The footprint of the 420M design would be roughly 2ft by 1 foot and it would bepossibly 3-4 feet tall. Anno's and Nan's would have a footprint of two feet wide and 2-3 feet deep. What good are these designs when they cover the whole table and leave no working room?

The more I think about it, the more I like Nan's design; however, I worry that 420M decided to replace it with his own design.

Edited by YidakiMan (09/05/03 02:06 PM)

Invisiblecalicyco
    #1885573 - 09/05/03 02:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah mine looks exactly like the 2'x4' one in Nans photo. The one you showed me earlier, the vertical one with the right angles, thats a positive pressure confined space, not really a hood, but should work. I like the convenience of the big open space ones. Lots of elbow room, no confines. I hate glove boxes, and the ones with the confined work space remind me too much of that.

Patty Poacher

#1886629 - 09/05/03 08:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

" CleanCube Vertical Laminar Flow Hood "

Action of Vertical Laminar Flow Hood

Pictures from Terra Universal

They consider them Flow Hoods. In the near future I will possibly have access to the top part of the unit, and may use plexiglass to make the rest of it. Still looking for the best options, and keeping them open.

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1888325 - 09/06/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I am still very lost on the subject of selecting a blower. I understand that I must have at least 100CFM per square foot at the static pressure; however, Grainger's specs never list anything above .8". Regardless, I have found a few and would like to know if they might work.

Grainger 4C054 blows 980 CFM at 0.0" and 210CFM at 0.8".

Grainger 4C830 blows 960 CFM at 0.0" and 253CFM at 0.8".

Dayton 4C831 blows 1210 at 0.0" and 1092CFM at 0.8". This is the one that would work with the 3ft x 2ft filter.

Patty Poacher

#1889871 - 09/06/03 11:19 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I suspect that guestimates are made as to what the CFM would be at the static pressure.  Laminar flow is 90 ft/m i believe.  I guess it would stay pretty laminar to about 110-120 ft/m.  Anything above this I think would prove to turbulent for the desired effect.

A few of the fans on Grainger show specs up to 1.5'' but these are usually ones that are unusable (conveniently enough  :nonono:)  I'm taking 6Ts advice and looking up some furnace/AC repair shops in the area to see what I can schmooze away with.  Much better alternative compared to the $200 price tag associated with the blower on Grainger.

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

Patty Poacher

#1946373 - 09/23/03 10:50 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ok I found a better alternative :smile:

I'm in  :heart: with this baby!

Check it out here
In the marketplace, click here 

--------------------

Life's a garden, Dig it!
~Joe Dirt

Off Topic Website

InvisibleautomanM
blasted chipmunk
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #1946573 - 09/24/03 12:00 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

there is a  store on ebay that sells refurbished blowers, but  this  has everything that you might need.

--------------------
No, no, you're not thinking, you're just being logical. ~ Niels Bohr

InvisibleYidakiMan
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1946659 - 09/24/03 12:42 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, did you get that from the market place? Looks sweet. I will be posting pictures of mine tomorrow afternoon. Watch the pictures forum. More details later, let's just say I got a good deal on it.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates