Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
at the rate its going now
    #1879865 - 09/04/03 12:08 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

do you think its possible for the world to revert back too old ways, such as farming for your own food, and using nature to live and survive, ect. Basicly, do you think its possible for the world to evolve backwords from the downward spiral of destruction and earth destroying ways?

i say not, but it would be nice

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: 2Experimental]
    #1880082 - 09/04/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, but I think the only way at this point, is if there were massive, (global) cataclysms, wiping out every major city and form of technology, and 95% of the population. Forcing us to start from scratch. The best we can do now is try and create technology in harmony with nature.

--------------------

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: Shroomism]
    #1880090 - 09/04/03 01:20 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

i find technology and nature to be exactr oposites, incapeable of existing in harmony

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1880093 - 09/04/03 01:22 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What makes technology unnatural?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1880112 - 09/04/03 01:28 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

refined metal alloys

Invisibletekramrepus
Female User Gallery
    #1880114 - 09/04/03 01:29 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

HagbardCeline said:

Our left brains, I believe.

Technology in itself is great. Our body is biotechnology....crystals are biotechnology...and to be honest....Technology sciences like meditation, yoga, etc are VERY useful.

however, id say 95% of the technology in the world, perphaps more - is useless and very "unharmonic" with life

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension
    #1880141 - 09/04/03 01:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

That's because 99.99% of the technology we have created thus far is in exact opposition with nature. The whole man vs. nature mentality is what will fuck us in the end. Nature is more hardcore then our most destructive technology. However, there is such a thing as creating technology in harmony with nature, we just don't have enough examples of it on this planet at this time. It is called right-brain technology, think perpetual energy machines that run off the Earth's energy, think self-reciprocating machines that can instantly neutralize the effects of an atomic explosion, think technology that does not pollute, harm, or destroy. Think machines which can clean the ocean, advanced biological organisms manipulated in such a way to provide healing, think cities that are created in harmony with the natural surroundings.. and do not take away from them, but add to their beauty, think cars that clean the air instead of pollute it, think outside the box.

The internal combustion engine, is a good example of what NOT to make. That is in very direct opposition with nature.

--------------------

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
    #1880177 - 09/04/03 01:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

i find technology and nature to be exactr oposites, incapeable of existing in harmony

That's interesting. I find nature incapable of existing in harmony with itself. The plants outside my house try to take over each other's living space all the time, for example. They show no respect for other plants. And then bugs attack them, to which some of the plants respond by using chemical weapons to repel the bugs. Maybe harmony only exists in the eye of the observer?

Edited by Rhizoid (09/04/03 01:53 AM)

Invisibleraytrace
Stranger

#1880340 - 09/04/03 04:03 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

the fact that we invented it to protect ourselves from nature

OfflineOook
Oook!

Loc: England
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: raytrace]
    #1880363 - 09/04/03 04:41 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think it would be great to revert back to old ways, ive been seriously considering it for some time(anyone know of any communes?)

The way we are going there will be another plague sometime in the next couple hundred years, due to overcrowding. We go against nature by using medicines, seeing the doctor and the like. If we develop a serious illness its basically intended to kill us not be fought off by some synthetic wotsit.

I think a lot of the destruction of nature is basically just down to how much money company x is making for building a motorway through the middle of a wood or forest. It's the same with use of fossil fuels and the like, we could change to something that wouldnt screw over our planet but the companies basically dont give a toss untill all the fossil fuels are used up and they have no choice.

It's such a shame the things humans do, it pisses me off so much to see animals splattered across the road due to our inability to use bikes or at least provide a way for the animals to get across the road without getting crushed to death by several tons of car.
(I know they do have some small tunnel crossings but it seems more than just a token gesture)

Edited by Oook (09/04/03 04:42 AM)

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: Oook]
    #1880374 - 09/04/03 05:01 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

I think it would be great to revert back to old ways, ive been seriously considering it for some time(anyone know of any communes?)

yeah hopfully within 5 years i will have atleast 10 acres. what i am going to do is allow it to be a commune. i wish to revert back to the old ways of being self reliant. i think it would be great, regardless anyone is welcome as long as they respect eachother, and mother earth.

as always

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: Rhizoid]
    #1880450 - 09/04/03 06:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Rhizoid said:
Maybe harmony only exists in the eye of the observer?

VERY interesting point..

People definitely can find harmony in the system we are in now, but myself, what Shroomism is suggesting is a lot more respectful to nature... We came from the Earth, and have the capabilites to protect it and to let it continue to sustain us.. why shouldn't we?

Hell, maybe we evolved as some sort of planetary defense, perhaps we were intended to be able to protect the Earth... Of course, we haven't been doing a good job of it yet, but perhaps we have to realize that it IS our responsibilty before we actually start doing it..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1880459 - 09/04/03 06:24 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"The way we are going there will be another plague sometime in the next couple hundred years, due to overcrowding"

I think the destruction is closer than we think, but anything could happen.
At the moment technology is on the verge of a flash point, things could easily change almost over night and the technology could be that amazing it could easily fix all the damage that we have done, stop world hunger and maybe solve all our other problems ect. But the question is do we have enough time left to gain this type of technology. The very survival of the human race is in the scales all we have now is time and its running out fast.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: Oook]
    #1880604 - 09/04/03 08:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

anyone know of any communes?)

I have felt the same way myself many times. Until I realized that communes are just a modern version of the idea of utopia. Great in theory, virtually unsustainable in practice. You may have an environment initially conducive to unity, but the trouble is that people bring their own problems with them. It's like creating a sterile environment for an organism, but it introduced its own internal contaminants and there goes your sterility.

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: Jellric]
    #1880703 - 09/04/03 09:34 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ARGH! I typed up a long post last night, then right before I approved it, my connection failed. Let me see if I can reproduce it.

I guess I must have a different definition of unnatural.
To me, there is nothing physical that I would call unnatural. Everything is born of nature. Many species have been proven to use tools only we have taken it to the next level.

If you say we are living out of balance with nature, I would have to argue that too. Species have been going extinct since life first appeared here. It has always been the drive of a succesful species to propagate.
Would you call a virus that decimated most life here on earth unnatural?

I believe that if intelligent life has evolved on some distant world, they likely face many of the same challenges and stages of development as we do. In that sense, what we are doing is perfectly natural.

I just have a much more optimistic outlook on humanity. When faced with impossible tasks, humans have shown incredible inginuity.

While you see this as disharmonious, I think we are merely evolving just as we should.

It sometimes takes us being slapped in the face with the harsh consequences of our actions before we makes changes. I think that you will eventually see a migration in people towards a more evironmentally friendly attitude.

Also, as it stands now, technology will most likely be the only thing that we can ever hope to provide solutions for the pollution we have dispensed upon our world.

Though I will agree with you that things will have to eventually change if want to ensure the planets longevity.

Even if we lived as we did hundreds of years ago, our population would eventually outstrip this planets ability to provide. Technology is the only thing that could save us then by leaving this planet.

Unless you want to start implementing some form of population control. Wouldn't that be unnatural?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Edited by HagbardCeline (09/04/03 09:35 AM)

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: ZippoZ]
    #1880749 - 09/04/03 09:52 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

yeah hopfully within 5 years i will have atleast 10 acres. what i am going to do is allow it to be a commune. i wish to revert back to the old ways of being self reliant. i think it would be great, regardless anyone is welcome as long as they respect eachother, and mother earth.

I admire your idealism. Nevertheless, read up on Ananda, the only suriving spiritual community form the 70s. There is major political infighting going on now and the founder (Swami Kriyanada) was ousted.

My point being is that people are people, each with their own ego and agenda and clashes will result no matter how "spiritual" they are. Go find your dream, but go with eyes wide open.

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

Invisible2Experimental
Male User Gallery
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: Shroomism]
    #1881799 - 09/04/03 04:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"That's because 99.99% of the technology we have created thus far is in exact opposition with nature. The whole man vs. nature mentality is what will fuck us in the end. Nature is more hardcore then our most destructive technology. However, there is such a thing as creating technology in harmony with nature, we just don't have enough examples of it on this planet at this time. It is called right-brain technology, think perpetual energy machines that run off the Earth's energy, think self-reciprocating machines that can instantly neutralize the effects of an atomic explosion, think technology that does not pollute, harm, or destroy. Think machines which can clean the ocean, advanced biological organisms manipulated in such a way to provide healing, think cities that are created in harmony with the natural surroundings.. and do not take away from them, but add to their beauty, think cars that clean the air instead of pollute it, think outside the box"

great ideas.. if only the leaders of political and corporate america thought like this. I see now it IS a possiblity to revert back to the old ways, but the chances are less then slim.. Why save the earth when we can destroy it and get rich.. hey, we'll only be here 100 year, no biggie,, YEAH RIGHT... its all about money

OfflinePed
Interested In Your Brain
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
    #1882303 - 09/04/03 06:23 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

>> However, there is such a thing as creating technology in harmony with nature.

C'mon now, Shroomism! How are we supposed to make any money off an idea like that? You're fired!

Have you ever noticed that anything the profit motive comes into contact with seems to wither and turn black? Christianity is the best example of this, I think. A few other good examples would be industry, the media, democracy. The profit motive, I think, is what creates these problems. We continue to depend on destructive, polluting technology only beacuse it is more cost effective, and more convenient to do so.

What is needed, then, is an event to jar us into realization of these truths. Thankfully, the problem seems to be boiling up it's own solution right now with global warming, smog epidemics, erratic weather, soil erosion, plauge and disease. These things are becoming greater realities, and they will force the situation one way or the other. Certainly survival outweighs the desire to procure wealth and power.

--------------------

:poison: Dark Triangles - New Psychedelic Techno Single - Listen on Soundcloud :poison:
Gyroscope full album available SoundCloud or MySpace

OfflineEvilGir
Im the on coming storm

Loc: Planet Irk
Re: at the rate its going now [Re: Ped]
    #1884138 - 09/05/03 06:43 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

>> However, there is such a thing as creating technology in harmony with nature.

C'mon now, Shroomism! How are we supposed to make any money off an idea like that? You're fired!

True, I think a huge amount of technology that is being held back that could do alot of good for the planet. Such as cut pollution to a minimal, produce new food sources ect. I mean dam there even tring to get quarn banned because there is more money in beef. But yeah being enviromentaly friendly and good to the planet and its inhabitants doesnt make any money.

--------------------
Fighting the man the best way I can.

OfflineLOBO
Vagabond

Loc: NY
    #1884161 - 09/05/03 06:59 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

To revert back to the old ways no, but there are new ways that are springing up here and there like permaculture etc.
The problem we face is not 100% our technology, is the greediness of the people that use it just to make profit.
Our society is just profit profit, profit, and that?s there only goal, and that?s what is killing the world.
We all know that human at this point in time has the technology to move away from fossil fuels, but do we? No greedy people in the oil industry don?t let us change and frankly most people don?t care, so like shroomisim said it will take a huge cataclysm were most of the people die to make a change, that is the nature of our monkey philosophy.
I try to grow some of my food, I have a nice small but very productive veggie garden, I try to apply all he principals of organic gardening and permaculture, and they work! I never get any pests that do any serious damage and provides me perhaps with 20% of my food supply, it is possible to be self sufficient but I will have to quite my regular jobs (you cant do both, at least for the growing season)
Most of the people don?t use these farming technologies because again they don't work in momocultures (industrial farming).
The only way to beat entropy is to form small communities (not communes) Swami said it right most of them fail, reasons? humans still have to many to many personalty issues to be living all bunched up. In the past people did because they had to for survival, we may have to live like that again soon.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder