Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKidTripper02
Stranger

casing made from contaminated cakes
    #1879114 - 09/03/03 10:43 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Check out this casing I made out of 2 75% colonized bacillus contaminated Ecuador pf cakes. I noticed something weird in my jars, and it stunk like old socks, so I dumped the jars out, scraped off all the un-colonized substrate, broke of little pieces of mycelium that didn?t look right, them micro sterilized some vermiculite for the bottom, threw in all the pieces of cake that were left over, then added a layer of micro sterilized peat moss, and about 4 days later this is what I have. I figured I had nothing to loose

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: casing made from contaminated cakes [Re: KidTripper02]
    #1879228 - 09/03/03 11:16 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Nice!
I like that you provided visible proof that it can be done. Demonstrating that although part of the cake was contaminated, the rest of the mycelium was healthy and totally unaffected by the partial bacterial contamination. This is why contaminated (but germinated) jars thrown outside will grow into a nice patch. Just because it is contaminated, does not mean it is doomed (besides the green meanies, you'll have quite the trouble fixing a casing that has that (trichoderma) if not caught early).

It is also excellent that you demonstrated the proper method by removing the un-colonized substrate, and suspected mycelium. It would not have hurt to dunk in a peroxide/water solution in case something was missed, or perhaps accidentally added to the "good" mycelium during the process of cleaning and not noticed. You never want to leave any little trace (a speck smaller than you can see, in theory one cell is all that is needed). Bacteria can be nasty stuff, depending on what kind. I have saved a piece of mycelium from a bad cake for a grain transfer that worked fine. Never anything that drastic  :oogle: I have a bacteria paranoia, lots of really unhealthy bacteria out there (if im not mistaken, isn?t Anthrax in the Bacillus family?). You should see the fruits of your labor anytime now.  :laugh:

Excellent job! 5 shrooms for the post, your luck, and all your work! :thumbup:

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineKidTripper02
Stranger

Re: casing made from contaminated cakes [Re: ATWAR]
    #1879291 - 09/03/03 11:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

thanks atwar, i just did this out of pure curiosity, ive made a few casing before, but they were lost to the green monster, so far this one has done incredibly well wich is a suprise to me, ill post an update when i see pins

InvisibleATWAR
Connoisseur

Loc: #108768 in line...
Re: casing made from contaminated cakes [Re: KidTripper02]
    #1879432 - 09/04/03 12:09 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Not only this, but you have continued the generation and will be able to take prints. I am almost positive you will get pins if you have the rest of the conditions right (not diffucult, you could just put a lid on with a few holes and it will pin). I will tell you that the hardest part is over.

Good luck, and take prints so you have plenty of spores to continue your contamination battles. Even the most experienced cultivators and mushroom farmers get the occasional contamination, so look forward to future incidents.

--------------------
To give is to live...

OfflineKidTripper02
Stranger

Re: casing made from contaminated cakes [Re: ATWAR]
    #1879461 - 09/04/03 12:15 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yea i have it covered with saran wrap, its sitting next to my poormans pod, which by the way is full of cakes waiting to pin as well, the saran wrap is keeping the moisture up, i think i should see pins within the next few days, and i will most definately be taking prints.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Peat, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation