Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesocraticd
Transient

Wet WBS Rant....
    #18777457 - 08/30/13 01:54 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Just had to rant to people who might understand the frustrations of a newbie. 

Followed Fran's WBS Tek this time around, and am anticipating having the same issue as my last attempt using TL's tek.  The grains after an hour of sitting in the strainer and shaking every 10 minutes or so, are still a little on the sticky side and feel slightly wettish to the touch.  Not really any wet spot when left on a square of TP for 15 - 20 seconds, though, so maybe it'll be better this time around.

Wondering if maybe because this WBS has cracked corn in it, the stickiness is just an unavoidable issue?  I let them get only up to BARELY about to simmer, when i saw the first few bubbles i dumped them into the strainer immediately, so as not to overboil as I believe I did last time. 

17 hour soak, 2tbs gypsum, for 4 quart sized test jars filled about 3/4 of the way when finished.  Loaded up in the PC now, and we'll try them again with Lions Mane and Blue Oyster spores from prints I took.  (yeah, I know MS and edibles don't go together.  Finallly ot my petris in to attempt some agar work later in the weekend, so I can start doing it right)

Sorry to bitch, just anticipating frustration on attempt 2 with WBS.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMush4Brains
LOOL HACKED!!!

Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: socraticd]
    #18777468 - 08/30/13 01:56 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Cracked corn will cause slight stickiness, and an excess can make it quite sticky.  It shouldn't really affect colonization, however.

Offlinesocraticd
Transient

Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: Mush4Brains]
    #18777562 - 08/30/13 02:11 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping.  My first attempt is stalled/slow/contam'd, I believe.  Possibly due to iffy sterile technique hastily innoc'ing them, but the jars were definitely WAY too wet as well, so I'm trying it again and attempting to do a better job at it.  I'm sure it'll take a few tries to just get the hang of.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dept of know what I'm say... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #18777604 - 08/30/13 02:19 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I use wbs without cracked corn and it always feels sticky or a better adjective would be slimy feeling

OfflineMyTiny_Shroom
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: Stromrider]
    #18777893 - 08/30/13 03:17 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yesterday I did something that was not recommended to do for my lack of knowledge.  I am still new and experimenting.  Immediately after Pcing the WBS, I pulled off the weight to release all
the steam out.  The pressure decreased so fast that it may crack the jars reading from here.  So not a recommended process. Luckily no jars were crack.  But the WBS inside the 7 quart jars got dried out so fast to maintain the 60-70% moisture while still inside the Pc.
For the WBS, I found out soaking for 7 to 10 hours overnight is not an issue.  The issue is cooking for too long that the corn and millet got cracked. Maybe the fire is on too high or the WBS got over cooked. So the solution I found out was to simmer on low heat to not boil. And stir them after 5-8 minutes or so. Then shut off the fire, put the cover on the Pc and let them soaked for 1 hour so they will swell up.  After testing the moisture level pour out to a basket to drain.  Then scooped the WBS into the jars for PCing.
After pouring the WGS into a basket to drain, I also spray on the gypsum from a water bottle mixed solution.  This will help to add some nutrient to the WGS while colonizing.  So far so good while still learning the basics of mushrooming.

OfflineShinjiro04
Stranger

Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: MyTiny_Shroom]
    #18777994 - 08/30/13 03:40 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Letting the seed sit in the pot for an hour after having heated it up may cause the kernels on the bottom of the pot to pop due to the heat there. I had something like this happen the first time I prepped WBS.

The trick to not having wet seed is to heat the seed in the pot till you get it steaming but not boiling. It HAS to steam. Let it sit on that for like 10-15 minutes and then take it off and dump it into strainers (don't burn your self). At this point you want to shake the strainers and move the seed, the seed will be giving off steam which is the water on the seed evaporating. Keep shaking the strainer to move the seed from bottom to top to get the water steamed off. This is how you get non-wet seed.

Some of the seed might be sticky but thats due to starches from some popped seeds. So long as toilet paper test comes back dry, you're fine.

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: Shinjiro04]
    #18778158 - 08/30/13 04:16 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Mixed grain can be a serious bitch.
There are hundreds of kinds of wbs around. some have lots of millet. Millet is a fine grain but hard to nail down. almost impossible when mixed with larger grains, because some larger grains will require a 2p min boil, whereas millet is done with a 5 minute light simmer. See what I'm sayin?

Try buying some of a single whole grain. My go-to grain is grade A organic soft white winter wheat berries.  Beautiful stuff.,,,

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

Offlinesocraticd
Transient

Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18778462 - 08/30/13 05:38 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, that's my thought is if i can't nail down a good tek with this stuff (it's so cheap and available i feel like I'd be an idiot not to give it a shot with some experimentation) I'll just start using wheat or rye berries and buy in bulk, since it seems the consensus is that those are easier.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18778636 - 08/30/13 06:18 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I use franks wbs tek with great results

Offlinenepter627
Infinite Being
 User Gallery

Loc: NeptunE
    #18778671 - 08/30/13 06:28 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

what i did cuz i didnt feel like waiting for it to drain i threw it in a colander then i took bits of it and threw it on a clean towel and kinda dried it like that.seemed to work fine.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: nepter627]
    #18778737 - 08/30/13 06:44 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

blow dryer works too if you are pressed for time

Offlinevaneazy
Stranger

#18778811 - 08/30/13 07:02 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

put some gypsum in the grains to help with stickiness as well... but some stickiness is acceptable

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

Loc: Amsterdam Flag
Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: vaneazy]
    #18778876 - 08/30/13 07:16 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

The link in my sig for my grow along thread has a very beginner friendly grain approach that is based off of FH's and RR's.  I failed a lot at first with grains but now I can do that shit in my sleep.  Sorry about the plug, but if you're struggling its on page 2.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: tbagtag]
    #18778889 - 08/30/13 07:19 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

tbagtag said:
The link in my sig for my grow along thread has a very beginner friendly grain approach that is based off of FH's and RR's.  I failed a lot at first with grains but now I can do that shit in my sleep.  Sorry about the plug, but if you're struggling its on page 2.

^^^This is good stuff

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

Loc: Amsterdam Flag
    #18778909 - 08/30/13 07:24 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psillyshroomer said:
Quote:

tbagtag said:

^^^This is good stuff

Thanks, this is exactly the type of thread I did my grow along for.  OP, I failed for the first 6 months I tried grains-endlessly.  I use grain with CC in it all the time, its a bitch to work with but once you got it down youll be a pro.

Offlinesocraticd
Transient

Re: Wet WBS Rant.... [Re: tbagtag]
    #18779262 - 08/30/13 09:02 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, these seemed to come out a bit better than the last batch.  Still a little wet and sticky on the inside of the jars after coming out of the PC, but after shaking the jars every so often, they seem to be a lot less wet and clumped.  I'm optimistic.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Olympus Myco Grow Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract