Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
"Britishness Test"
    #1877146 - 09/03/03 12:58 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Pure genius. (except for the cricket test) Whoever thought of this is wise. We need the same thing here in the states.

Facing a 'Britishness' Test??
2 hours, 51 minutes ago Add Oddly Enough - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LONDON (Reuters) - Immigrants to Britain might have to demonstrate English language skills and their "Britishness" to gain citizenship, the government said Wednesday.

"Life in the United Kingdom," a report which recommends the tests, comes as the government tries to calm fears that the country is becoming swamped with asylum seekers and illegal immigrants.

"The new requirements are to be seen not as a new hurdle but as a much needed entitlement," said the government-commissioned report. "Those who become British citizens should ... have a sense of belonging to a wider community."

The concept of citizenship tests have been a controversial issue in Britain ever since Norman Tebbit, a leading lieutenant of former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, notoriously suggested a "cricket test," under which immigrants could only be classified as British if they cheered for the England cricket team

Over 100,000 would take the new tests each year, under the new proposals. Those failing would not be asked to leave, but they would be refused a British passport or the right to vote, said Sir Bernard Crick, who chaired the group behind the report.

"We are trying to ensure people are capable of integrating in society," Home Secretary David Blunkett told BBC radio. "How can you build a cohesive society if people can't communicate?"

The government has pledged to halve the number of asylum claims within the space of a year. It has until October to meet that pledge.

Last year, Britain topped the European league with 103,000 claimants, a 20 percent rise year on year.

The report group rejected suggestions that immigrants be coached in British history, instead opting for British democracy; multiculturalism; legal rights and employment opportunities.

A damn good idea.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: "Britishness Test" [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1877150 - 09/03/03 01:03 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

i think that's a stupid idea and it'd be a sad day if we adopted it here in the states.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: "Britishness Test" [Re: ]
    #1877159 - 09/03/03 01:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I feel if an individual doesn't understand at least enough english to get by, they shouldn't be allowed here at all.... much less be able to vote.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Political Discussion