Home | Community | Message Board

Vaposhop
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Popcorn rot?
    #1876283 - 09/03/03 02:13 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

My friend wants me to ask about a problem he has had with his popcorn. Out of 4 jars, 1 contaminated obviously (he took it out, and let it go on top of the water heater just to see what would happen, and it colonized all the way around the contam), 2 had too much air exchange and dried out (and after they were taken out of the incubator, green mold developed 4-5 days later, but that was after nearly 30 days in the incubator with no obvious signs of contam), and 1 colonized nearly completely.

He thinks he had too much water in the jars to begin with though. He said there was condensation in the jars, and where some of the popcorn was touching the glass, the were spots of water between the kernel and the glass.

About 18-20 days in, some of the kernels on the bottom of the jar that colonized begin to look covered in a clear, orange-brown liquid. He said he first thought it was contam, but is now wondering if it could have been the popcorn rotting because of too much water. What do you guys think?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineExtravagantDream
Beacon in theDarkness
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the Local Su...
Re: Popcorn rot? [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1876302 - 09/03/03 02:21 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I highly doubt your friend used too much water, SWIM has had a pool at the bottom of jars and had success. The jars should not dry out, how big is the air exchange hole and what is it covered with?

I suggest examining preperation of popcorn to correct the problem. I believe the liquid to be 'myco-piss' which I have been unable to determine the exact cause of.

OfflinetwistedJay
hydriodic acid
Loc: IM A REAL KILLA
Re: Popcorn rot? [Re: ExtravagantDream]
    #1876306 - 09/03/03 02:23 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

sounds like excess water on bottom, condensation is good water on bottom not good

--------------------
this has been a message from a twisted ass mutha fucka. and if you dont like it.........EAT A DICK!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation