Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedeathinchaos
regular
about that time
    #1875994 - 09/03/03 12:25 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

When a plant is budding is it wise to trim her leaves?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Loc: Rigel 7
Re: about that time [Re: deathinchaos]
    #1878568 - 09/03/03 08:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Trim how, trim off dead spots, or like a stealth trimming by removing excess lamina(fingers) ?

InvisibleDazedSol
old hand

Re: about that time [Re: deathinchaos]
    #1878698 - 09/03/03 08:37 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Yep....trim low.., but try to avoid cutting off the bigger fan leaves if you can.......

--------------------
Peace,
Adam

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: about that time [Re: DazedSol]
    #1878715 - 09/03/03 08:43 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

'Maybe' if they are blocking budding sites..?

If they are outdoors it might be best to just leave them.

OfflineFOZZ
shroomer intraining

Loc: deep in the woods
Re: about that time [Re: ekomstop]
    #1880560 - 09/04/03 10:04 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Trim off the unhealthy lower leaves, this will put more of the plants energy towards bud growth... Plus like ekomstop said it will help the light penetrate to the lower bud sites so they can suck up some rays... Dont be scared to do some cutting, they dont call it weed for nothing - its a very strong plant expecially during the flower stage..

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: about that time [Re: FOZZ]
    #1888027 - 09/06/03 10:19 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Unless the leaves have gone the complete process of senescence, thereby translocated nutrients meristematically (evidenced by chlorotic yellowing) in the later stages of inflorescence, leave them the fuck alone. Cannabis plants in flower do not have the regenerative powers that they do in veg.

If under HID, you shouldn't be haiving problems with shading, as you should have correctly assessed your pheno stretch and calculated accordingly at what point to flip to 12/12 to stay in the "sweet spot" of square inverse. If outdoors, don't concern yourself.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineFOZZ
shroomer intraining

Re: about that time [Re: Starter]
    #1888369 - 09/06/03 02:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Wow man, you sound like a fucking ganjatologist - I thought that I know alot about weed but I dont have a clue what your talking about Starter, but it sure sounds good..

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

#1888478 - 09/06/03 03:11 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

What he's saying is unless they've grown old and turned yellow which you'll see the yellow change of the leaves in the later stages of flowering then don't trim the leaves.

If you're growing with fancy lights then based on a number of factors, known expressed genetic habits, plant condition, and some other ones too is when one would switch to flowering, letting it get too big or too small and too old or too young wouldn't produce the best possible.

I've said this time and time again in this forum, basic books on horticulture really help, or if you're in college and they have intro to horticulture or some other stuff take it. The class is relatively easy and you'll learn a lot.  :wink:

Offlineneuro
Phytophiliac
 User Gallery

Re: about that time [Re: neuro]
    #1888487 - 09/06/03 03:15 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

When growing indoors, I don't ever find it necessary to trim leaves during flowering, though I don't think it can be too bad of a thing when it's flowering unless you go nuts. Cutting off a few leaves or some that look necrotic or old is all i normally do and sometimes only the necrotic parts.

Normally the leaves i remove or trim are those that are away from the flowers. Generally you have to have a keen eye and a good nack. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to grow plants, i find that going nuts doesn't always produce noticably better buds than just some common good techniques. Though lights are always key.

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: about that time [Re: neuro]
    #1889650 - 09/06/03 11:46 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Fozz,

If under HID, you shouldn't be haiving problems with shading, as you should have correctly assessed your pheno stretch and calculated accordingly at what point to flip to 12/12 to stay in the "sweet spot" of square inverse.

What I mean by that can be seen in these two pics.

First is the flip to 12/12 (flowering)

Second is the finish. (note the senescence, yellowed leaves).

The bottom line is knowing when to flip to 12/12 at the correct height and spread -- because early flowering always s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-s...

So factor that in on these points...

* Phenotype (strains with sativa will stretch more than those with indica)

* Temp of grow (warmer it is, the greater the stretch)

* Intensity of lights (weak light will cause greater stretch)

* Nutes given (if using organic salts in conjunction to chemical chelates, expect a greater cell differentiation, thus faster/larger growth i.e. Bio Mix nutes)

* Hormones (if?) used (paclabutrazol for example is a dwarfing agent, not sold in the US unless you have a pesticides license. Conversely, gibberellic acid will etiolate.)

* Number of plants invested to the grow print zone. (More plants means a swifter 12/12 flip).

If you fail to 12/12 flip at correct point, you will end up with too crowded a canopy or you'll end up with gaps in the profile -- both mean loss in production. You want a grow where fan leaves of cola cross over 2/3 of each neighbouring fan leaf cola. That way, you won't concern yourself about docking leaves. Fan leaves (if green) are more valuable on the plant than off. They have no smoke value, they only have use for photosynthesis. True, if you find yellowed leaves, then dock at the petiole. But it really doesn't make a difference if you manage the grow to the spread/profile rules. Yellowed leaves, when they do show, generally do at calyx swell, the last 3 weeks of 12/12. Generally speaking, they're not interferring in the main thrust of the grow window period.

Height too of profile must be such where the lowest point of the plants is still high in lumen strength, so it is bud top to bottom. This is square inverse factor, where the further one is from the light source, the geometrically weaker the lumen strength becomes. You have to take that into account to arrive at the desired low ratio of leaf/airbud to prized bud. A ratio of 1:3.25 is good.

If all things work correctly, you can achieve greater than 2.4 ounce dry bud return to the foot square. It can take practice on successive runs with the same clone, then run after run becomes routine. I also believe longer flowering strains, 9 weeks or greater in 12/12, are better over the annum than fast flowerers of 6 to 8 weeks. They invest better in the "run-way of veg" to build a landing strip to deliver the yield. Besides, inter-crop clean-ups, mother/cutting sessions & trimmings are a chore, and doing more than 6 a year would truly suck. Aim at 5.

Pic of 7lb & 3 ounce.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

OfflineFOZZ
shroomer intraining

Re: about that time [Re: Starter]
    #1890299 - 09/07/03 04:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

At first I thought Starter was just talking shit but the pics tell the story... That is a nice setup with some good info, talk about a heavy harvest WOW

OfflineTekNut

Loc: TX Gulf Coast
    #1896722 - 09/09/03 02:51 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Can I come play at your house Starter??  :wink:

Very nice photo's! 

Peace,
-TekNut- 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> The Ethnobotanical Garden