Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Shroomery.org's Tribute to TOOL
    #1874053 - 09/02/03 12:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have a good idea that would be quite some fun. We have a lot of musicians on here, and I came up with an idea to get some of us together and record TOOL's Lateralus as a tribute to them.

I mean, we are basically the biggest discussion of psycadelics and a lot of the ideas that come with, and I guess to show our appreciation to them for the meaningful and kick ass music they make, we could collaborate and record this album, as our sort of tribute to them, in our appreciation.. while having a lot of fun in the first place. It would also be interesting to have it sent to them somehow, and we'd have it for our own enjoyment, too..

I mean, at the very least, for us musicians here, it would be experience working together with other musicians (not like in the same room, of course) and with music in general.

So, do we have any guitarists, bassists, vocalists, and drummers in the house? Depending on how many people get involved (too many people would not be desired), we could switch back and forth between tracks, if someone else on the same instrument is involved. And if no drummer is found, we could at least program them and it would sound good.

Of course, this would take some effort from everyone involved, because we would have to take the time to learn and record the tracks decently enough while keeping them sent back and forth.

When we have selected people to work on this, I could set up our own forum somewhere so that we would be able to effectively communicate back and forth. We could look into finding a cracked recording software somewhere and everyone could use it, it'd probably be best if we were all using the same program.

I'm not talking about starting tomorrow, either. We could allow some time so that everyone could learn the songs, and so forth. Just take as much time is needed so we come out with some quality material.

I guess the preresiquites to working on this would be some way to record your instrument with quality (no shitty shit), enough skill to pull off a good cover of TOOL, and enough time to dedicate ourselves with a chance to do some good work on this.

Myself, I would definitley love to record the basslines, but if there is anybody else that would also be interested in playing bass for this project, we could switch off, the same thing if there is more than one person for any other instrument. (I don't get my bass for another three weeks, unfortunately)

So, I guess right now we can just throw ideas back and forth, and find out who would be interested, and start forming some way that we could organize and manage this project. It would definitely be an experience, definitely! So, who's interested?
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Edited by MAIA (09/05/03 04:59 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1874316 - 09/02/03 01:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Although I would love to pay my tribute to Tool and Lateralus, covering every song would not give it the justice it deserves...
This is just a huge project that without any official notation of the music it would be close to impossible to reproduce.
First off, I have listened to this cd religiously since it came out, and I'm STILL not sure how they time/play some of their parts. I think it would be near impossible to come anywhere close to Maynard's or Danny's abilities. Not saying we have to duplicate it, but for it to sound good, the singer and the drummer have a lot to live up to.

I'm not knocking the idea, I'm just saying that this is an incredibly difficult task, recreating music that we all don't even understand fully yet. I don't even know all the time signatures ventured into in The Grudge... 5/4, 4/4...10/8? bah...

forgive me, I don't intend to put the project down, but I'm just sort of installing a reality check.

What I would LOVE to do is have a shroomery.com Lateralus Study, where we might shape some conceptual/theoretical/musical ideas of the album and its songs. Maybe we could find a way to merge our research and study and do somethin with it?

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineAmnesiac
Re-memberingcosmic wisdom

Loc: Unknown
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Blastrid]
    #1874340 - 09/02/03 01:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't mean to continue to rain on your parade, but I'd have to agree with Blastrid. Even if you got together some very talented musicians, covering the whole Lateralus album would be pretty damn hard.

Maybe if you covered Undertow you'd have a better chance. I think you should get together and compose something original instead. Why not do that? You could get people who are influenced by Tool and produce something Tool-esque and call it your own.

--------------------
Here we are, in these bodies, on this planet in an endless universe. This is not the extent of who we are... merely an extension of who we really are.

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Blastrid]
    #1874376 - 09/02/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Indeed this would be a difficult task to accomplish.  But I think this is a VERY interesting suggestion!  :laugh: I'd suggest that instead of a reproduction of Lateralus, maybe various songs could be selected from all their albums, to create some sort of a compellation. Although, just one tribute song could be an interesting project all on its own! How exactly could a project of this sort be done over the net though?  I'm not sure everyone here has access to descent recording equipment without having to invest a little $$.. I mean.. if you have a possible way to do this in mind, I'd love to play a part in it.  Only problem is I also play bass.  Either way, I'd LOVE to see the shroomery do something like this! 

It's too bad everyone can't just meet somewhere and jam..  :sad:

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #1874420 - 09/02/03 02:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: World Spirit]
    #1874432 - 09/02/03 02:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Other than the silly mysticism, I can't see much about Tool to dislike.

They definately making some of the most interesting and intricate rock 'n roll out there.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Phluck]
    #1874443 - 09/02/03 02:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #1874454 - 09/02/03 02:41 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You do know this is a thread made for people who dig TOOL's music don't you? I mean what was the point of that post, other than to be a troll?

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1874462 - 09/02/03 02:43 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Enter said:
:thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:

I apologize in advance but I must give the band you mentioned a negative five stars, and about thirty thumbs down, and perhaps a framed boot so they can take a hint and silence themselves into their awaiting zombified state of consciousness. They (the band's members) resemble the patheticness I could never imagine becoming.

And that's how I really feel about it.  :wink: :stoned: :loveeyes: 

That's exactly how I feel about your God.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleWorld Spirit
PNW
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: silversoul7]
    #1874467 - 09/02/03 02:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Deleted by admin

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1874481 - 09/02/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

As Maynard said in one of his songs from his other band, A Perfect Circle:

Fuck your God
Your Lord and your Christ
he did this
Took all you had and
Left you this way
Still you pray, you never stray
Never taste of the fruit
You never thought to question why

--------------------

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

#1874483 - 09/02/03 02:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

pleeeaase try to not let this thread drift off into hostile arguments... :frown:

Invisiblechunder
marker

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: ekomstop]
    #1874498 - 09/02/03 02:52 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

For real, trolls ruin enough threads on this board.

I think ekomstop's suggestion of maybe starting off with just one TOOL song is a good idea. Doing a whole album just seems like a daunting task for a forum community. So...what song should it be?

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: chunder]
    #1874607 - 09/02/03 03:20 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

First off, no arguements about God here. TOOL is more effectively spiritual than God now, anyways. :grin:

It wouldn't be the easiest task, for sure. Maybe we could do a lot of different TOOL songs from different albums (REQUIRED: 46 and 2, Schism, and Disposition and Reflection). After doing that, we could even write that original (me and faip_du_oiad were talking about that on Messenger) that was deeply inspired by TOOL.

Meshuggah writes their songs exclusively online, sending them back and forth. To cover the software end, one of us (probably me) could find a cracked version of one of the good recording utilities and we could all use that one (I could put it somewhere so we could all download it).

Myself, I don't find different time signatures hard to play in. I guess I had a different approach to time, though, when I started playing. Instead of counting a continous beat in my head, my foot, or a metronome, I just took great care to make sure that an eighth note was half as long as a quarter note, etc. It is a lot easier when you just know the different riffs and can play the different note durations agansit each other. Its all about FEEL in this case.

I think finding someone to do a good enough task with Maynard's vocals would be the biggest problem. Drums shouldn't be much of a problem, unless someone here wants to do them, they can be programmed and still sound good (and dead on). In the case of official tablature, I guess someone in the music thread mentioned that they have a lot of really good, unofficial tabs that could be used.

And, as I said earlier, it isn't a problem if someone else plays bass. We will just take turns on different songs. It would just be a few of us who really want to do it that would work on it, too, I could set up a forum of our own somewhere that would allow for effective communication. I guess the best way to actually start recording would be for someone to lay down a track while listening to the song on headphones to ensure correct time throughout, and then the rest could be built around it.

So, instead of doing the full Lateralus cd, how about just like seven/eight songs from them in general? Any suggestions? The only ones I would be set on from Lateralus would be Diposition and Reflection (god, those songs are just so unbelievable.. i had quite a level four peak to those songs) and Schism, and possibly 46 and 2 from Aenema. Hey, maybe we could throw in an A Perferct Circle song, too?

I definitely want to do something to this end. It would be a challenge, but it would be fun, and like I said, a lot of good experience for us who are setting out into music professionally to get under our beat.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Invisiblechunder
marker

#1874710 - 09/02/03 03:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

If you do an APC song, make it Orestes!

--------------------

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

#1874788 - 09/02/03 04:09 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

hmm..So you want to copy the songs as exact as possible?  I was thinking it might be a good idea to change em' around a bit.  I mean, not so much it would no longer be recognized as tool, but you know..If this project were to actually get done, and a cd were sent to the band to listen to, I think they might appretiate listening to their own creation, re-created and improvised by minds they helped influence..rather than listening to their own music..copied exactly..  I like your choice of song suggestions, I also have a 'thing' for Diposition and Reflection :smile:  I was thinking maybe The Patient and AEnima as two (possible) covers.

I must say though...I really think...unless there is a reliable drummer available........

Well...I mean...

The drumming is nuts.  The thought of re-creating Danny Carey for Reflection, AEnima and most other songs..kind of makes my head hurt. Anyway, if you agree that the songs should be modified a bit, I think the 'nuts' aspect of the music should definetly remain.  Which will be a challenge (moreso) with the percussion, and vocals as you said.   

Anyway.. If this were to happen.  I think it's safe to say it has to start with one song.  Depending on the finished product of that song..I'm sure everyone involved will know if they would like to continue to create a tribute 'album' rather than a tribute 'song'...

Anyway..I'm not sure what else to say at the moment.. what does everyone think?       

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1874812 - 09/02/03 04:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

hmm..So you want to copy the songs as exact as possible? I was thinking it might be a good idea to change em' around a bit. I mean, not so much it would no longer be recognized as tool, but you know..If this project were to actually get done, and a cd were sent to the band to listen to, I think they might appretiate listening to their own creation, re-created and improvised by minds they helped influence..rather than listening to their own music..copied exactly.. I like your choice of songs, I also have a 'thing' for Diposition and Reflection I was thinking maybe The Patient and AEnima as two (possible) covers.

I was thinking something similar. I was thinking of covering their songs, but in a different style than the original.

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1874821 - 09/02/03 04:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I guess it would be best to take it song by song. Find out what works, what doesn't, develop a good system through trial and error, and then continue on from there if necessary. Take it one riff at a time, as it has probably been said somewhere..

And I guess I didn't mean that it should be exact as possible, it should be at least 85% there, though. I mean, it shouldn't sound like we suck and couldn't play the songs right, that's what I believe I was meaning there.

If you're saying that you want to do drums, then by all means. It would be a lot better to have a real drummer than program them, music, to me, has a need of being live (that is, music that is suspossed to be live).
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleMiddlemanM

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Phluck]
    #1874916 - 09/02/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

"silly mysticism" LMFAO

hmmn cover LaTeraLus ay...?
while we're at it, let's reproduce the Mona Lisa, or rebuild Solomon's Temple... :wink:

Fireworks, i think we would have better results with a TOOL remix project.

each participant could dump one TOOL song into Cubase or Logic,
and remix a song using loops and samples of TOOL riffs...

i already have made a phat trip-hop remix of Aenima's "jimmy"

/me performs Troll Banishing Ritual... Simsalbimbamba Saladu Saladim!!!

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Middleman]
    #1874926 - 09/02/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I am not saying that it is going to come remotely close to the original, but the only way to be the best is to strive to be the best.. :grin:

Not a remix, I am talking about people playing instruments doing this, but if you want to do a remix and throw it in, that'd work too.

Anyone else interested?
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order