Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: sirreal]
    #1881074 - 09/04/03 12:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Myself, I would be highly capable of some good Jaymz Hetfield vocals, too, very bassy tone I have, but I would have to learn how to use these vocal cords, and lessons would be in order..

For my band, though, I want a singer that is JUST the singer. I mean, the guitar players should only be concerned with playing the guitar and making a show of it, and the vocalist should be the one who really works the crowd into a frenzy.. I am thinking of that movie with the band Stillwater, the crazy singer going on about how "he gets everyone off, and he looks for the one person not getting off and then starts to get him off..." hehe

But, yeah, that is another benefit of this, being able to connect with other like-minded musicians and maybe making something more out of that connection.. I am definitely interested in hearing you, man.

I am really tired tonight, but this weekend I will start work with ekomstomp to getting the bulletin board set up, so those interested in this can be communicating effectively there.

This, once again, is for the musicians who want to record, the music programmers for the more electronic elements, the music fans who want to learn more about the TOOL way of making music, and the ones who are interested in this in general, can't contribute musically, but who's insight we would value to keep us working in the right direction...

Once it is set up, we can get everyone organized there and then start working out ideas on what we want to do with the songs we choose, all sorts of details along those lines and how we will go about this..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinePyronate
Prying open mythird eye

Loc: Forever I walk among the ...
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Murex]
    #1881582 - 09/04/03 03:17 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Murex said:
I made a remix of 3rd eye.

...remix of Third Eye? That's like saying you rewrote and restructured the Odyssey, or LOTR or something. It's a near-perfect epic construct of music and ideas as it is... I can't imagine what could be done to improve it.

As far as the rest of the thread: I also am a fan of Disposition/Reflection/Triad... without doubt my favorite Tool compilation. As for the project you have in mind: I can't even conceive of developing music based on Tool and having it sound good, or making decent versions of their songs...

--------------------
"It's not a war on drugs, it's a war on personal freedom... keep that in mind at all times."

--Bill Hicks (RIP)

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Pyronate]
    #1881827 - 09/04/03 04:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Pyronate said:
As far as the rest of the thread: I also am a fan of Disposition/Reflection/Triad... without doubt my favorite Tool compilation. As for the project you have in mind: I can't even conceive of developing music based on Tool and having it sound good, or making decent versions of their songs...

Yeah, but I guess we are crazy enough to try.. But I guess that it would still sound pretty good, considering it is TOOL that we are working with.

I mean, to take on a project like this is going to require a lot of focus, and just deciding to make some songs isn't a lot of focus. Having a very specific idea to try to work with, expand on, and then even make our own songs within that basic idea is going to be a lot more productive and more satisfying, until some experience of working together is built up..

I mean, why hold low standards? I say shoot for the moon: you probably won't get there, but at least you will end up a lot higher than ground level..

And, I guess, the main motivation towards this: Having fun and doing something we love.
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1882174 - 09/04/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Bah! It isn't all that great. It's more of a 3rd eye-like ambient-techno track. I couldn't sample all the vocals, just a few here and there. I made it sound a bit ominous, and not like a song.

It really just started when I made a cool beat that reminded me of 3rd eye, so I later found myself making a remix-ish track.

If you want, you can download it from my site. It's volume is a little too low, but I'll fix that soon.

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
    #1882972 - 09/04/03 09:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Pyronate said:
I can't even conceive of developing music based on Tool and having it sound good, or making decent versions of their songs...

I thought the same thing until I got together with some talented musicians and we made it work, oh and the old stuff is MUCH easier, really easy in fact, the only problem is vocals.

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1882986 - 09/04/03 09:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

just keep in mind guys, making this sound good is NOT impossible, just hard, it'll take some dedication and hard work.

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1885086 - 09/05/03 11:41 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think I'll start a thread for the dissection of Tool's music.

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

OfflineDemiurge
creator ofworlds

Loc: Florida
    #1887955 - 09/06/03 06:47 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah right. Good luck guys. Recording a few songs with a band is pain in the ass enough, and I've heard very few amateur recordings that don't sound like shit. Trying to coordinate all of this would just be a nightmare. And for what? So we have a really crappy mock up of an album that has already been released? Changing the songs is another story all together. What are you going to do, email each other sheet music? And then of course argue about the changes. No offense, but this whole thing is a really bad idea.

--------------------
Just another animal embeded in a technological coral reef extruded psychic objects...

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Demiurge]
    #1887964 - 09/06/03 07:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There are probably a few ways something like this could get accomplished. If a drummer were able to record the drumming to an entire song to a file, he could then send the recording to a bassist. The bassist could then use a program such as acid to integrate the bass into the recording. Next comes guitars. Then vocals. This might not by the easiest way, and is probably not the only way, but that's sort of method that basically comes to my mind when thinking of a possible way to get something like this going..

It's definitely not impossible, but yeah, it would be a challenge, thats for sure. But the fact that it's going to be difficult isn't exactly a reason to say fuck it and not try at all.

Perhaps a few made up 'easier' tracks could be composed and played around with to get a feel for whatever recording method is chosen.. Hell.. Even if Tool ends up being too difficult to cover in this manner, I'm sure some interesting music could come out of this regardless.

I for one am pretty interested to see what would result if this idea was taken seriously by even just a few musicians. I mean, not even 10 years ago, the thought of creating music with someone on the other side of the country, without leaving your houses none the less, was probably impossible. Now days, it almost seems like an obvious thing to do. Not all people who love to create music have the chance to play and work with other people..We are pretty fortunate to have this so called..'modern' technology, that makes communication with basically the entire planet possible. Shouldn't this be taken advantage of? I mean, it's possible for anyone to contribute their creative abilities into something if they so desired. Tool covers or not, I think this idea rocks, and hope it is worked with until something everyone is happy with is created.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: ekomstop]
    #1888029 - 09/06/03 08:20 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Ahh, recording a few songs with a band isn't all that bad. As long as you aren't continously fighting because the bassist and the drummer is making fun of the guitarist's Man-Beast girlfriend constantly.. :grin:

This is all about trying something new with music, getting a little creative, learning the art of compromise (which is essential for making music with others) and just exploring music by actually making it.

I don't see it as being a nightmare. I will start getting skomstop's forums together in a couple of days, and everyone that is interested in helping with this will be brought there. We will start discussion about what songs we feel like doing, and what we think we really want to stick with and what we would like to expand on... We will also start discussing how we should go about setting up a system to start making the music. I won't be able to record myself for a couple of weeks yet, because I won't have my bass yet, but I could program my parts out on MIDI for the time being..

A challenge? Yes. Well worth it? Hell motherfucker yeah. You don't have to take part if you don't want to, but that is entirely up to you.. I guess this requires people with a little more of a positive attitude, people who are willing to expand their knowledge of music and working with others and will look towards how to make something work instead of constantly pointing out everything that won't..

Push the envelope, watch it bend..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1893870 - 09/08/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I just found a post of mine that was suspossed to be in this thread, but mysteriously made it into another thread of mine..

"Now that I am thinking about it, we might get involved with some of TOOL's influences as well, to see where these ideas originally came from, and so forth..

Hehe, I was listening to Rush when I was making that last post, and started thinking about how great the connection between the two is... I mean, now that I think of it, it is very similar:

The very talented and melodic bass player. The crazy drum virtuoso. The very complex arrangement of music. There are some good similiarities between Maynard and Geddy Lee, although Maynard certainly doesn't shriek.. and a lot of the concepts behind the songs themselves.

Of course, this also brings in Pink Floyd as well. We, of course, wouldn't necessarily spend a lot of time with these two bands, but just some to see where TOOL is coming from..

Anyways, yeah.
Peace. "

But, anyways, I haven't started getting the forums set up yet with ekomstop to get them all ready and everything, but I soon will be..

By the way, doesn't anyone post on this message board in general? I always check back on this post and no one has really replied to ANY of the messages..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

#1894416 - 09/08/03 01:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

We iz lazy here in the MA&L forum.

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

InvisibleMiddlemanM

#1895168 - 09/08/03 04:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

everywhere is eyes but seldom do they reply.

Offlinecerebral gortex
Prying open my third eye.
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Patriots Nation
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Middleman]
    #1895198 - 09/08/03 04:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

*cry*

i wanna play too...*sniffle*

no time.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: cerebral gortex]
    #1897205 - 09/09/03 04:29 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I am back to my old self, as far as my state of mind and all, so I think I will get ahold of ekomstop and start organizing shit tonight. As of right now, I have to go mop the floors... :grin:
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

InvisibleZildjian
human

Loc: new zealand
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: sirreal]
    #1901599 - 09/10/03 09:25 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

schism and stinkfist are the only tool songs i can play (well, not properly, but as similar sounding as you can get out of a 5 piece drum kit). I'd like to contribute, though Gorian is probably better suited to the task.

that reminds me, last year maynard offered drugs too my piercer and i got to share a drink bottle with danny carey, i figured that i'd absorb some of his drum playing skill by consuming some of his saliva. . .

I didn't get the opportunity too suck his cock though  :wink:

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Zildjian]
    #1902949 - 09/10/03 08:39 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nice! What kind of drugs did Maynard offer?

--------------------
Isn't quite as it seems?
Is an elaborate dream?

InvisibleZildjian
human

Loc: new zealand
    #1909066 - 09/12/03 09:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

some mysterious purple pills from a small green box, not unlike the one I keep my jewelery in.

When maynard was in christchurch, he visited a bar called RPMs where he recieved a blow job in the toilets from some groupie, he was talking about it on stage. Anyway, my piercer happened to be at the bar having a few drinks with the owners who happened to be his friends. I think maynard went up to say thankyou to the owners for their hospitality when he ran into my piercer. Apparently the conversation consisted of "hey, nice ears! anyone want some drugs?"

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
Re: Shroomery.org's Tribute to TOOL [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1911472 - 09/12/03 11:54 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have been playing guitar for ten years and I can play the Grudge almost perfectly now. I have perfected forty six and two all accept for the last drum solo but I can improvise it really good. If I took the time I could. Its all about memorizing when he does what. I can play Triad for the most part anyways. I can also play Ticks and leaches the whole thing. I can also play Lateralus. Hmm what else can I play from that album... I know there is one more but I cant remember!!

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

OfflineGlacius
Lang
 User Gallery

Loc: Western Cordillera(Inverm...
Re: Shroomery.org's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Glacius]
    #1911547 - 09/13/03 12:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Oh yeah the patent is one I am working on at the moment I will prolly be able to perfect it within the month. I can play some of parabol and most of parabola as well. Basically I can paly the whole album but some parts need working on of coarse!! Anyways I think I am the guitar player your looking for!! I also can record music to me computer and can do any digital guitar effects you guys have in mind. I have an effects prossesing unit that I can hook any instrument into to and then it goes via MIDI to the computer for recording. I do not have a good recording and composition/editing program so you guys will have to hook me up somehow with some good software!!

--------------------
addicted to reason
a hollow understanding trapped me
I cannot see outside but its calling

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies