Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: fireworks_god]
    #1874941 - 09/02/03 04:53 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:If you're saying that you want to do drums, then by all means. 

haha.. :smile:  That might be a possibility if I had a set of drums and about a decade to work on them  =/

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
And I guess I didn't mean that it should be exact as possible, it should be at least 85% there, though. I mean, it shouldn't sound like we suck and couldn't play the songs right, that's what I believe I was meaning there.

I really don't think if the songs were changed slightly it would sound like it 'sucked'  ... Who knows, it might actually sound better?  Appologies for going on about this..  All I was trying to suggest is maybe the songs could be played with a little variation..Not to the extent of an all out remix, the songs could still be undoubtedly similar to the originals..only.. different.  Almost like, stirring up two sources of creativity, rather than soley imitating theirs..to an extent.  I mean, if you do think the best idea is to play their music as exact as possible, that's cool with me, I'm not saying I'm against it at all.. Not that it's my decision anyway. This thought is just floating around in my head..If the idea is to do this FOR Tool..They might really enjoy hearing something a little different, although maybe equaly as good, as what they have played and heard 100's of times before..

I'm sure at times if you have ever played bass to a song on a cd, it's fairly easy to just kind of..play your own thing, while still flowing with the song.. It still sounds good.  The song is still unmistakably the same song..yet you've improvised..  This is all I'm really leaning towards.  Tool would definetly be challenging to work with in this manner.. But..yeah.. I just thought this might be worth considering..that's all.  I'll shut up about it now..

Quote:

fireworks_god said:It would be a lot better to have a real drummer than program them, music, to me, has a need of being live (that is, music that is suspossed to be live).

I agree 100%

Quote:

silversoul7 said:I was thinking something similar.  I was thinking of covering their songs, but in a different style than the original. 

Hehe, I can hear it now.. Tool: Unplugged    :wink: 

Anyhow, I think this idea kicks ass and I really hope to see something good come out of it!   

Edit:

Quote:

fireworks_god said:I am not saying that it is going to come remotely close to the original, but the only way to be the best is to strive to be the best..

For some reason I spontaniously decided to say something to this...I don't think creating music should be about being 'the best' ... I don't really know if that's what you meant, but either way, it doesn't seem there can be a 'best' when it comes to music/art... yes there are of course, the best(s), and I agree Tool is definetly in that categorey (for a good ammount of people), but it seems to me the closest anyone can get to surpassing the best, would be standing right next to them.  There are too many preferences on what exactly the best is.. =/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: ekomstop]
    #1875427 - 09/02/03 07:40 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Thought maybe  this was appropriate.  :smirk:

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
    #1875469 - 09/02/03 07:52 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

this WOULD be a big pain in the ass to do, but I think that "Bottom" would be a good song to do, very simple so even some novices could do it, and plexus might give the guitar part a try, our band used to cover that song, and quite well if I remember :smirk:

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
    #1875542 - 09/02/03 08:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I made a remix of 3rd eye.

I would love do add vocals into a track. I would love to do H, Lateralus, or Hush. I just don't have a mic. Any suggestions on getting a mic or finding a way to record my voice?

I could easily make a kick-ass track if I had vocals over a beat. I would also need some guitar samples from people who paly guitar or something. We don't have to all use the same program, just as long as the file formats are all good, we shouldn't have a problem.

I could use real drum samples and mix them with a few more electronic beats

I also propose we move this thread to the MA&L forum.  :pill2:

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Blastrid]
    #1875865 - 09/02/03 09:28 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Blastrid said:

What I would LOVE to do is have a shroomery.com Lateralus Study, where we might shape some conceptual/theoretical/musical ideas of the album and its songs.  Maybe we could find a way to merge our research and study and do somethin with it?

I think we should to this too...  :smile:

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineGorian
Learning the artof Shroom

#1875909 - 09/02/03 09:44 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I am a drummer , and like the music tool makes , i have an 8 piece pearl wtih 4 toms a floor tom 2 bass drums and a snare , not to mention 2 crash cymbals , a ride cymbal , a china cymbal , and a high hat

--------------------

OfflineMurex
Reality Hacker

Loc: Traped in a shell.
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Gorian]
    #1875998 - 09/02/03 10:26 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Can you keep 4 beats going at the same time?

--------------------
What if everything around you
Isn't quite as it seems?
What if all the world you think you know,
Is an elaborate dream?
And if you look at your reflection,
Is it all you want it to be?

OfflineBlastrid
e l e m e n t al i t y
 User Gallery

Loc: The Desert
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Gorian]
    #1876178 - 09/02/03 11:27 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

that's cool, pearl sets are the shit.

But, my buddy loves tool, has a huge set cuz he has lots of money and can't play worth dick.

Billy Martin's kit is like a 2 tom, crash & ride kit-not too big, and he is the shit.

--------------------
Blas'?trid (bl?s tr?d)
    n.  3rd generation derivitave of a combination of 'bastard' and 'blasted'.  Used as both an insult or an expletive.
    ex.  Blastrid!

Stereopattern  <--My music.

OfflineFaaip_De_Oiad
as above, so below
Male User Gallery

Loc: Malice, Tx
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Blastrid]
    #1876296 - 09/03/03 12:19 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I still want in, but I dont know what I could contribute.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Faaip_De_Oiad]
    #1876703 - 09/03/03 04:30 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Okay, yeah, it would be a LOT better to do our own improvs within the song strucure itself. Keep it fresh, new, and exciting, while still TOOL.

And I don't think music is about being the "best", either. Well, I do, but the best of your own abilities. Not like a competition, "my band is better than your band" kind of thing, but seriously striving to do the fucking best that you can do.. putting that much energy into something shows and it pays off, as well.

And I think the idea of studying the albums themselves is a very good idea, too. We could study it, learn what is going on on, and then use that same structure to add on and put our stamp on it. Just get creative and a little crazy, that is all it is about..

We could add more electronic elements into the songs, too, and all sorts of stuff like that, just expanding the elements in the songs in all directions. I think, too, that they would appreciate it a lot more if we worked on going in different directions, doing something with their ideas, and then even using the same mentality to make a few originals.

It would still be a month or two until I would want to start recording stuff and throwing around ideas, I don't even have my bass right now, but we can continue to discuss this and get plans moving in that direction.. There are a lot of good, cheap microphones around, too, I guess. It doesn't take much, just as long as it works and isn't all shitty..
Peace.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Offlinesirreal
devoid
Loc: In the borderlands
    #1876817 - 09/03/03 07:03 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

I think finding someone to do a good enough task with Maynard's vocals would be the biggest problem.

I enjoy tool and am an experienced vocalist.

I don't sound exactly like maynard, but I can sing his music.

I think this would be fun. I woud be willing to give it a shot.

BTW, I also play the keyboard. Imagine trying to incorporate that into a song like schism! :crazy:

--------------------
I may not always tell the truth, but atleast I'm honest
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

Edited by sirreal (09/03/03 07:04 AM)

Offlineekomstop
Male User Gallery

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: sirreal]
    #1876906 - 09/03/03 08:11 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sounds good fireworks :smile: 
I also like the idea of studying their albums..learning more about the intentional set-up and suggestions seemingly integrated in their music will really add to the overall ammount of emotion and energy put into re-creating it.  I'm not sure exactly what I could contribute since you will be the bassist, but I'd really like to get involved somehow.  I know you said we could switch for different songs, but I guess we'll probably have to see how the first song goes before really thinking about playing a bunch of them.  I mean, if each re-created song were worked on inside-out, they are all going to take some time.  But I think each one has the potential to be a masterpiece if everyone plays their cards right. 

Maybe you should hold some kind of 'auditions' or something for people that are interested..perhaps somehow EVERYONE that is interested can somehow contribute something..I guess we'll have to see what kind of ideas pop up as time goes on.

I agree with Murex, it's might a good idea to move this thread to the Music, Art, and Literature forum.  heh. Maybe a song could even be done for the shroomery cd, if it's not too late?  :smile:

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

#1876968 - 09/03/03 09:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sirreal, if you are interested, it would be great.

There is no problem at all with having more than one person involved with one instrument, and I don't think an audition would be good, just as long as everyone involved is interested and will be able to contribute something..

Yeah, the Music forum is indubiantly a better place for this, but I wanted this to stay in this forum as long as possible, and it has been working so far..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

OfflineEuphoria
watch theweatherchange...

#1877859 - 09/03/03 02:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years, I live and breathe TOOL's music and I would be able to lay down any guitar track. Very interested.

I am about to start uni, so my schedule will be hectic, but if I had a decent drum beat, I could lay guitar tracks over it no sweat.

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: Euphoria]
    #1878053 - 09/03/03 03:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

University of Northern Iowa? Ahh.. I used to live in Iowa.. of course, now I am in Norway and am bass-less (but not for long, suckers). :grin:

I have been thinking about this whole idea a lot, and it comes off as very interesting, creative, and it would be quite the experience in general.. it is just too much of a shame that I wouldn't be able to contribute for about a month. We can keep throwing around some ideas for awhile now, though, find out who is definitely interested, make some decisions, get some sort of forum set up for easy communication, and start throwing ideas around of what songs we will be doing, what we want to be doing with each song.. say maybe we want to do some strings here, or maybe a harmony bass line (my favourite, thank you) here..

The concept is still being conceputalized, but not too long from now I think we will all be making it come true.. I mean, why not? We'd come up with some very interesting and inspiring music, and that should be enough in the first place. I mean, for all of us considering music as a career to be entered; I definitely want to spend my time doing this, and it would be a big step in that direction...
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1878233 - 09/03/03 04:36 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The more I think about it, the more interested I become.

This could give us musicians some serious learning experience. You know, we could learn from one another.

I really like the idea of writing some original shit together.

This could be cool. :cool: 

--------------------
-----------

I see what everyone is saying. It is so hard to form an opinion when you see both sides so clearly!

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
    #1878772 - 09/03/03 07:03 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Don't you think this would work better if you guys from Shroomery. org did this?

I mean, those people at Shroomery.com are so  :nut:

:grin: 

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1878774 - 09/03/03 07:04 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

But it is a cool idea and I would love to hear the final product.

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Re: Shroomery.com's Tribute to TOOL [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1880420 - 09/04/03 05:47 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I believe we have found a place with a message board (thanks, ekomstop) that we would be able to coordinate our efforts, and whatnot, so that'd be great, we can start tossing around ideas and such. It'll be just a couple of days, I guess, to get everything set up right to do that.

I mean, in addition to us who are going to be doing either some recording with our instruments (and vocals) or some programming, we can include people that are just interested in the project and learning from it, so we can have some other perspectives and we can all learn a lot more from this.. They could also listen to what we have so far, etc, be the review board or whatnot... and once we have something completed, it may be possible to leak it to the shroomery.org (yes, .org)'s general public..

I mean, what might start out with us taking some creative liberties within some TOOL songs might end up with us creating a lot of inspiring music of our own, and it would be quite great as we all have different influences which would be centered around one main influence.. It is true, the more I think about it, too, the better this sounds and more of the endless possibilites of this are realized..

Sirreal, if you could describe what your voice sounds like (in comparison to some singers already out ther), that'd be great.. Especially if you have a sound all of your own. Who knows, when my band is put together when I come back from Norway, the only member of the group that we are lacking right now is a vocalist..
Peace.

--------------------
I wouldn't fear
Like being here

Offlinesirreal
devoid
    #1880554 - 09/04/03 08:00 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Sirreal, if you could describe what your voice sounds like (in comparison to some singers already out ther), that'd be great.. Especially if you have a sound all of your own. Who knows, when my band is put together when I come back from Norway, the only member of the group that we are lacking right now is a vocalist..
Peace.

Well, I have a similar sound to aaron lewis of stain, I guess.But, I have worked on my own sound.I feel pretty confident about my voice.

I am a baritone,basically. I have actually developed my vocals so I can go a little higher.

I have been in quite a few bands and am pretty comfortable with that whole atmosphere.I love it.

I also play rhythm guitar (well enough to write ,anyway)and have written alot of music. Alternative and hard rock mostly.

I'll put something up for you guys to sample sometime soon.When I have the time.I need to set something up.

And fireworks, if you like what you hear, we'll have to get in touch.

--------------------
-----------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale