Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheReckoning
:)

Is my thermometer broken?
    #18733885 - 08/20/13 07:37 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all. Recently I have had great success with my monotubs, but this last one had a few contams. I believe it boils down to my substrate.

In the past, using a gas stove, substrate prep was a breeze and didn't take too much of my time. The thermometer would get up to temp pretty quick. With my last grow, it took so long to reach temp that I actually ran out of water in my stock pot before the hour was up.

I am thinking it could be that I am using an electric stove, and it's just running out of water faster. Or my thermometer could be broken and I have been killing off vital nutrients in my substrate. The thermometer theory would explain why it seems to take longer to reach temps, and run out of water.

What do you guys think? It's a really cheap meat thermometer. How easy do these things break?

Also, on the subject of boiling water. Do I have to blast my stove on high heat? Or could I essentially let it do a smaller/less aggressive boil?

--------------------
A scapegoat, for all your insecurities. Excuse me; a hero; a man made god; for all your insecurities - Remembering Never

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblojo02184
Big Red
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maine
Re: Is my thermometer broken? [Re: TheReckoning]
    #18733934 - 08/20/13 07:48 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I'm assuming your talking about pressure cooking?

If so, once it reaches pressure turn down the heat to,low or med-low.

Boiling high is just burning off water and blowing it out the vent faster.

OfflineTheReckoning

Re: Is my thermometer broken? [Re: blojo02184]
    #18734253 - 08/20/13 08:49 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I guess I should have stated in the thread title that this is for bulk pasteurization.

--------------------
A scapegoat, for all your insecurities. Excuse me; a hero; a man made god; for all your insecurities - Remembering Never

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

Re: Is my thermometer broken? [Re: TheReckoning]
    #18734459 - 08/20/13 09:29 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TheReckoning said:
Hey all. Recently I have had great success with my monotubs, but this last one had a few contams. I believe it boils down to my substrate.

In the past, using a gas stove, substrate prep was a breeze and didn't take too much of my time. The thermometer would get up to temp pretty quick. With my last grow, it took so long to reach temp that I actually ran out of water in my stock pot before the hour was up.

I am thinking it could be that I am using an electric stove, and it's just running out of water faster. Or my thermometer could be broken and I have been killing off vital nutrients in my substrate. The thermometer theory would explain why it seems to take longer to reach temps, and run out of water.

What do you guys think? It's a really cheap meat thermometer. How easy do these things break?

Also, on the subject of boiling water. Do I have to blast my stove on high heat? Or could I essentially let it do a smaller/less aggressive boil?

The boiling point of water depends on things like altitude and the concentration of salts or azeotrope-forming compounds like alcohol, but if you're just using tap water and you live in the same city, boiling water is boiling water.  The rate at which bubbles form makes no difference to the temperature, so decreasing the heat to the mildest of boils is a good idea.

Because of that property of water, along with its exceptional ability to conduct heat, you can use it to test your thermometer.  Tables are available that will let you tell the boiling point of water at your altitude, so you can check the high end.  A glass of ice, allowed to melt so that it's mostly water with just a few slivers of ice left over, will be exactly 32F degrees regardless of altitude.

Make sure you check both points, since you need to verify that it reads correctly at a point above and below where you're going to be using it to know for sure if it works.

Edited by Psilicon (08/20/13 09:35 PM)

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Loc: Babylon Flag
Re: Is my thermometer broken? [Re: Psilicon]
    #18734525 - 08/20/13 09:43 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Idk man. Those standard dial meat thermometers are pretty reliable.
How are you running out of water? Is my question..
  There should be quite a bit in your pan, plus it doesn't boil, so I don't get it

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
medicinal psilocybin tincture drops
cannabis pics

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Re: Is my thermometer broken? [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18734575 - 08/20/13 09:56 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Ok I just re-read your post. You're boiling the water??

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
cannabis pics

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

Re: Is my thermometer broken? [Re: Oeric McKenna]
    #18734608 - 08/20/13 10:01 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Is it an analog?  He doesn't say that it is--just that it's cheap.

Personally I adore my $20 magnetic digital probe thermometer/alarm/timer and I use it for nearly everything I cook.  While the method I described above will show you for sure whether any thermometer is functional, I think the best option is to just buy a nice thermometer and never worry again about whether my chicken is safe or my steak is medium-rare or if the smoked pork butt I'm making is about to go above 215F.

Oeric does raise an excellent point, though, that I failed to notice because I'm very hungover:  you shouldn't be boiling it.  Gentle heat in the 180-ish range is ideal.

Offlinekinkaku
I AM THE LAW!!!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Россия
    #18734636 - 08/20/13 10:06 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:

Personally I adore my $20 magnetic digital probe thermometer/alarm/timer and I use it for nearly everything I cook.  While the method I described above will show you for sure whether any thermometer is functional, I think the best option is to just buy a nice thermometer and never worry again about whether my chicken is safe or my steak is medium-rare or if the smoked pork butt I'm making is about to go above 215F.

Oeric does raise an excellent point, though, that I failed to notice because I'm very hungover:  you shouldn't be boiling it.  Gentle heat in the 180-ish range is ideal.

where do you find a thermometer like that? I never put much thought into getting a new thermometer because my cheap meat one works just fine. then again it would be nice to have a good one :shrug:

--------------------

InvisibleOeric McKenna
LIFE CAPS

Re: Is my thermometer broken? [Re: kinkaku]
    #18734648 - 08/20/13 10:09 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

If you wait a bit, you only need to heat the water slightly above your goal temp. Eventually, the water, and the substrate reach an equalization.

--------------------

spread love
love is everything
2013 finds
cannabis pics

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#18734652 - 08/20/13 10:10 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

kinkaku said:
Quote:

van der griegen said:

where do you find a thermometer like that? I never put much thought into getting a new thermometer because my cheap meat one works just fine. then again it would be nice to have a good one :shrug:

Wal-Mart, actually.  I went in to get a cheap digital one for the sous vide cooler hack and then saw that a top-of-the-line one was only a few bucks more.

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

Offlinekinkaku
I AM THE LAW!!!!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Россия
    #18734709 - 08/20/13 10:20 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

van der griegen said:
Quote:

kinkaku said:
Quote:

van der griegen said:

Wal-Mart, actually.  I went in to get a cheap digital one for the sous vide cooler hack and then saw that a top-of-the-line one was only a few bucks more.

darn im on some pretty hardcore painkillers the doctor prescribed me so im stuck local until the penicillin kicks in and fights off my infection :thumbdown: I'll look on amazon haha

--------------------

OfflinePsilicon
Really Nice Guy

#18734774 - 08/20/13 10:30 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

This isn't the one I use, but it looks similar enough.

--------------------
Agar - what, why and how?  Everything a beginner needs to know.
Oat Prep Tek
Bored?  Please take one of my experiments off my hands.

OfflineTheReckoning

#18738343 - 08/21/13 04:05 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for the replies guys. It is an analog thermometer, just very cheap. The brand is Taylor.

I will test it with that chart to see if it's actually accurate. If it is, I'll also lower my heat on the stove so I don't run out of water.

Thanks again!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom