Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

Loc: Ireland (W)
Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland
    #18733014 - 08/20/13 03:59 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Found in Ireland.

Flushes of blushers everywhere!! I'm 90 % sure they're blushers...
Are they worth eating?
Tasty?
Do they dry well?

Also found some boletes...love the colours!

Also - i can't remember the full name - is it Stewing Fungus...something like that? Grow in groups on dead fallen branches/logs. Have a dark collar, brown spore print, creamy cap with darker centre...lovely groups of them!

Hope the pics upload ok - im a newb!

--------------------
SEEK, AND YE SHALL FIND...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineUntitled
Stranger

Loc: England
Re: Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland [Re: purplepixie]
    #18733036 - 08/20/13 04:03 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

That is some bolete you have there! I have been finding the same Amanita's you have there in great numbers so far this year. Last year it was the same with A. muscaria (I'm sure it will be again when it's the right time for them).

Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

Re: Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland [Re: Untitled]
    #18733049 - 08/20/13 04:09 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Yes - the blushers are prolific...never seen so many around here before. As you say, normally the muscaria's are everywhere but this year the blushers are taking over.
I have a gorgeous beech tree with around 70 blushes grouped underneath it...it was an amazing sight :-)

Spotted many Ceps - huge ones too! Sadly they were seriously soggy and maggoty...i don't mind a few tenants but these were too gone for doing anything with but admiring!

I'm originally from the UK...lovely hunting in all areas there :-) Whereabouts do you hunt?

--------------------

OfflineUntitled
Stranger

Re: Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland [Re: purplepixie]
    #18733062 - 08/20/13 04:13 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I'm in England. I just found the first B. edulis of the year yesterday, and they are seriously obese so far. Not even mature yet but already well nibbled by things.
Edit: Oops i realise you will know I'm from England lol. I'm in the Midlands specifically.

Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

Re: Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland [Re: Untitled]
    #18733099 - 08/20/13 04:26 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I used to live in Cambs...some nice small woodlands and river paths around there.

It took me 7 years of hunting to finallly find a cep...and that same year i found my first chanterelle too. Since then i've been seriously addicted lol :-)

I have my eye on a small cep, waiting for it to swell, then try to whip it away before anything moves in ;-)

--------------------

Offlinejames bingos
Stranger
    #18733102 - 08/20/13 04:27 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Hey I was wondering if anyone could help me in identifying these.

OfflineOregonBlueShroom
 User Gallery

#18733109 - 08/20/13 04:28 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Perhaps Kuehneromyces lignicola for the first 2 pics in in the first post.

--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Offlinejames bingos
Stranger
Re: Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland [Re: james bingos]
    #18733119 - 08/20/13 04:31 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Sorry I forgot to include more info.  I am in Northeast Wisconsin.  They were all found at the base of pine trees.  pictures 3 and 4 had warts on the top but they must have fallen off.  in picture 1 I found those two growing right next to each other.  pictures 2 and 5 are the same mushroom.  pictures 3 and 4 are the same mushroom.  I am assuming they are some kind of Amanita, but any help would be appreciated.  thanks

OfflineUntitled
Stranger

#18733120 - 08/20/13 04:32 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Last year i found what i thought might be one (edulis), under an Oak tree. I hadn't found any yet but had been hoping to since i started looking for mushrooms. It was in a pretty eaten state, but there was another pin attached to it so went back a week later to check on it, to see if it was indeed B. edulis. By that time they (the pin and the eaten one) had grown significantly, and was clearly what i thought it was, and i discovered that they were in fact all around me under and around the tree, I couldn't believe it. In fact there were a couple that were about 8-10 inches across. No idea how i missed them the first time. They do a good job of hiding themselves though! Where i find them they tend to grow in clumps of grass and you don't see them until they are big, unless you look very carefully.

OfflineUntitled
Stranger

Re: Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland [Re: james bingos]
    #18733124 - 08/20/13 04:34 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

james bingos said:
Sorry I forgot to include more info.  I am in Northeast Wisconsin.  They were all found at the base of pine trees.  pictures 3 and 4 had warts on the top but they must have fallen off.  in picture 1 I found those two growing right next to each other.  pictures 2 and 5 are the same mushroom.  pictures 3 and 4 are the same mushroom.  I am assuming they are some kind of Amanita, but any help would be appreciated.  thanks

They are definitely an Amanita. However making your own thread would be make things much less confusing for you.

Offlinejames bingos
Stranger
    #18733160 - 08/20/13 04:42 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah I agree.  I'm not sure I am allowed to make my own thread.  ?  It says I am not allowed to start new topics but I am allowed to post.

Offlinejames bingos
Stranger
    #18733167 - 08/20/13 04:44 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I may be wrong about that last statement about not being able to start new threads....could have swore it said that before though. 

Any chance those are A. Muscaria?

Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

Re: Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #18733191 - 08/20/13 04:48 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Yes..that's the name i was looking for...(my memory is sooo bad!)

But i think they might be Kuehneromyces mutabilis...i normally find them wet so the caps are darker...but these were nice and dry so caps much lighter.
(pholiota mutabilis is also a possibility?)

Common name stewing fungus?

--------------------

OfflineOregonBlueShroom
 User Gallery

#18733245 - 08/20/13 05:04 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

purplepixie said:

But i think they might be Kuehneromyces mutabilis...i normally find them wet so the caps are darker...but these were nice and dry so caps much lighter.

Kuehneromyces species can be easily misidentified and confused with dangerous Galerina and pholiota/ pholiotina species.

do not consume any unless multiple Trusted identifiers tell you they are good. I wouldnt eat any Kuehneromyces species just because i feel like the risk is not worth it.

--------------------
Favorite quote: I want to know if they are active and magic or not. And if they are not active, can i pick them before they are active and then they will become active or do they have to grow till they activate?

Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

#18733249 - 08/20/13 05:07 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

They look a bit to orangey yellow to be muscaria...but could be photo lighting a bit off.
I'm no expert..perhaps muscaria can also be orangey red in other countries?

The muscaria i've found have very white stems and very red caps. Unmistakable.

--------------------

OfflineUntitled
Stranger

#18733259 - 08/20/13 05:14 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

purplepixie said:
They look a bit to orangey yellow to be muscaria...but could be photo lighting a bit off.

Americans have amerimuscaria which is yellow.

Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

#18733275 - 08/20/13 05:21 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Untitled said:
Last year i found what i thought might be one (edulis), under an Oak tree. I hadn't found any yet but had been hoping to since i started looking for mushrooms. It was in a pretty eaten state, but there was another pin attached to it so went back a week later to check on it, to see if it was indeed B. edulis. By that time they (the pin and the eaten one) had grown significantly, and was clearly what i thought it was, and i discovered that they were in fact all around me under and around the tree, I couldn't believe it. In fact there were a couple that were about 8-10 inches across. No idea how i missed them the first time. They do a good job of hiding themselves though! Where i find them they tend to grow in clumps of grass and you don't see them until they are big, unless you look very carefully.

What a find! :-)

I think i always missed them because i expected them to be in woodlands. I've found most in grass as you say. They love to hide!

Are they like chanterelles...always growing in the same place? I only know of one spot where one routinely grows every year, but the others i find are surprises on familiar paths.

A friend of mine told me about 'these big mushrooms' he sees when walking his dog...growing in a field...i presume horse mushrooms or such...when i saw them they were all massive maggoty Ceps...Kilo's upon kilo's! I was amazed and devestated not to have been there a week earlier!

--------------------

OfflineUntitled
Stranger

#18733286 - 08/20/13 05:25 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I had assumed they grew in the same place but i don't actually know. This years ones so far are growing where none grew last year, but in the same general area. While i said they were growing in grass though, it was in fact grass under an Oak tree!

Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

#18733308 - 08/20/13 05:31 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Untitled said:
Quote:

purplepixie said:

Americans have amerimuscaria which is yellow.

Learn something new about shrooms every day :-) All my ID books are for UK..never known of the yellow ones.
Google images is my best friend today. Beautiful yellow spotted shrooms!

--------------------

Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

#18733317 - 08/20/13 05:34 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Untitled said:
I had assumed they grew in the same place but i don't actually know. This years ones so far are growing where none grew last year, but in the same general area. While i said they were growing in grass though, it was in fact grass under an Oak tree!

Funnily enough the oaks here are barren...never find anything. The beech trees give chanterelles and ceps, Scots Pine fabulous for Girolles here, Silver Birch show off all the colourful russulas...but the mighty oaks here are very shy when it comes to shrooms!

--------------------

Offlinepurplepixie
ForestLurker
Female User Gallery

Re: Blushers (i think!?) and others - first hunt of the season in Ireland [Re: OregonBlueShroom]
    #18733325 - 08/20/13 05:37 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

OregonBlueShroom said:
Quote:

purplepixie said:

Kuehneromyces species can be easily misidentified and confused with dangerous Galerina and pholiota/ pholiotina species.

do not consume any unless multiple Trusted identifiers tell you they are good. I wouldnt eat any Kuehneromyces species just because i feel like the risk is not worth it.

Good advice ...although at times when i feel 95% sure it's a new edible i've found  and i'm very tempted...i never do consume unless 100% sure. I had read about the Galerina species so have always eered on the side of caution with these types of shrooms.

--------------------

Offlinedaniela
Stranger
    #18813910 - 09/08/13 02:45 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Hy, im in london and i wanted to join a group of hunters for this season, if you can help it would be great!!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom