Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflinePEROXIDE
The Cobweb Killer
 User Gallery

Loc: UK
Car Stereo wiring issues
    #18724794 - 08/18/13 09:10 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

2005 Chevy Malibu/Classic

Pioneer Stereo

Removed stock stereo
Connected all wires accordingly

The wires coming From the cars dash there are 2 orange wires labeled "illumination" and "dimmer"

but there are no such wires coming from the aftermarket Pioneer stereo.
where the FUDGE do these two orange wires go?!?!!?
Stereo doesn't work after connected so I'm pretty pissed to say the least.

Also, the wiring harness for the car came with an extra red wire labeled 'ignition' and i dont know where the FUDGE it goes if anywhere? !
a 5 shroom rating says that no one can help.me :/

--------------------
I say made up things in forums just to feel cool.  Everything I say is rubbish.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblejohnm214
Male User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Americas
Re: Car Stereo wiring issues [Re: PEROXIDE]
    #18727399 - 08/19/13 12:30 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Illumination and dimmer aren't needed to run the head unit most likely.  Dimmer probably cuts the intensity of the display at night/when your headlights are on.  Illumination seems to dim the unit while your working with another device like a navigation unit, though I've never worked with such a wire. 

Ignition wire is something that you do need to run the head unit- this turns on the unit when a voltage is applied to it. I've never heard of a factory head unit that didn't use such a wire, so I'm not sure what to tell you.  What make model and year car do you have?  Do you have a wiring diagram for the radio to show us?

InvisibleShroomismM
Space Travellin
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 9th Dimension Flag
    #18727532 - 08/19/13 12:57 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I'm no car stereo expert, but I ran into a similar situation with my aftermarket stereo in my 2005 VW, and I ended up having to buy a separate bosche wiring harness to make it work properly. The stock stereo goes through the CAN-BUS on that car and the wiring harness was needed to make the aftermarket one fully compatible.

Ignition wire I am pretty sure is used to automatically turn the radio on/off when you plug in/remove the key from the ignition (or lock the doors I think?)... so that one is pretty important.
The aftermarket wiring harness had a place for it.
I could have also run a lead directly to the fuse box as an alternative after doing some research

But ya get a wiring diagram for the stereo/ your car

--------------------

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #19009522 - 10/21/13 05:20 PM (10 years, 5 months ago)

The orange wires control the automatic dimming of the stereo when you turn on the headlights.  Not all aftermarket decks come with this feature.  If you aren't going to use them, then just crimp caps on them so they don't short out to anything. 

There are two power wires for stereos; the yellow and the red wire.  The yellow wire is constant 12vdc, and is used for radio presets/etc.  The red is 12vdc on the key, and sends power to the radio when the key is in the on position.  You need to connect the red wire to something that is on when the key is.  The proper way to do this is to run to the ignition harness, but if you don't have electrical experience, best not to play with that.  You might try jumping it off of a cigarette lighter, but you'll risk overloading the cigarette lighter and blowing the fuse from a high current draw.  But then again, probably not.  Cigarette sockets generally have a high fuse, as heat is one of the most amp intense processes. 

Some of those GM's required a special relay to replace the stereo...they range in the $70-$100 (retail @ best buy) range in order to convert an 11bit digital source for the radio.  Looking at crutchfield, it doesn't appear as if yours requires it, but I used to work as a car audio installer, and you can't always rely on what the computer says is supposed to be there.  If you're handy with a multimeter, you can find out real fast what's going on.  Also, if you end up taking it to an installer and they tell you you DO need the special relay, then get the part number and order it yourself online.  MUCH cheaper that way.

Best of luck to you.

Invisible36fuckin5
Alchemycologist

Loc: Diving into Mystical Territori...
Re: Car Stereo wiring issues [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #19260360 - 12/11/13 02:05 PM (10 years, 3 months ago)

I had the exact same car. The dimmer and illumination wires are useless. Tape them up. The ignition wire will have to be wired into either your ignition switch or a spare 20 amp fuse. I wired it to a fuse, because it was much easier.

--------------------
Redd Foxx said:
If you're offended I don't give a shit and don't come see me no more.

Pat The Bunny said:
A punk rock song won't ever change the world, but I can tell you about a couple that changed me.

bodhisatta said:
i recommend common sense and figuring it out.

These are the TEKs I use. They're all as cheap and easy as possible, just like your mom.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Ythan, Anno, Thor, Link, Seuss
27,637 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.021 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.