Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
cortinarius iodes..
    #1872013 - 09/01/03 07:59 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

A few weeks ago these were absolutly everywhere in the woods of Rhode Island.... I didn't post because I wanted to get as possitive an ID on them that I could.... I believe these to be cortinarius iodes....

This is the main article I used to aid in the macroscopic ID process, no microscopy done here as of yet,(no microscope)... I used the web, don't have a field guide that lists this particular species. Mushroomexpert.com seems like a good source of information... Lots of it also.... My specimens met all of the criteria for cortinarius iodes except for the definate bulbous base... the base of mine weren't overly bulbous...??? And I didn't do the taste test of the slime..????

What do you think is my ID correct????????

mushroom expert

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

Edited by nofind_um (09/01/03 08:05 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: cortinarius iodes.. [Re: nofind_um]
    #1872053 - 09/01/03 08:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Your specimens certainly look close to it. Bessette states that the stem can be nearly equal, although he also says it needs to be purplish, maybe with a whitish area near the base. Overall, they look to be either C. iodes or C. iodioides, and your comments suggest that you know how to tell the difference (and are probably just not very excited about doing it). Incidentally, Bessette seems to indicate that it's the cap surface, not the slime, which is bitter tasting.

Almost nobody will attempt to identify most Cortinarius. Those are relatively distinctive.

Meinhard Moser, the main world authority on them died just last September. I can tell you that, in his opinion, to have a chance at identifying a Cortinarius you have to have at least 3 specimens in all stages of growth (young, mature, and old).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Invisiblenofind_um
Explorer ofEarth
 User Gallery

Loc: At work, at school, at my...
Re: cortinarius iodes.. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1890469 - 09/07/03 09:31 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Found a few more of these still hanging around. This time I did the taste test, the stipe has a clearly purple tinge to it... the stipe is more of a lilac than a white... I would definatly say without microscopic study, they are indeed cortinarius iodes... no bitter taste of the cap surface or slime at all.. although it did numb my tounge... maybe they could be used for medicine... somehow????

--------------------
My hunting partner is gone, I miss her so!

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: cortinarius iodes.. [Re: nofind_um]
    #1890835 - 09/07/03 01:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That's an interesting thought. I wonder if anybody in the appropriate industries has ever looked into it.

I don't think you need a microscope for Cortinarius. I watched Meinhard Moser and Joe Ammirati go through stacks of them without seeming to need one. I'm sure there are species where it's required, but this one seems pretty distinctive. The ones that especially earn Cortinarius its reputation for being unidentifiable are all those entirely brown Telamonias that all look pretty much like the same mushroom with slightly different proportions.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification