Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblewingnutx

Terrorists Eating Farm Animals
    #1863133 - 08/29/03 03:11 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Minks Freed By Domestic Terrorists Eating Farm Animals FBI Investigates Freeing Of Minks
5 news ^ | 12:50 p.m. EDT August 29, 2003

SULTAN, Wash. -- Hundreds of minks set free in Washington state by animal rights activists are devouring farm animals and exotic birds in the area.

One farmer who breeds rare ducks and chickens says over half of them were eaten alive by the minks.

Animal activists say that while the farm animals' deaths are unfortunate, it proves minks raised in captivity can survive in the wild.

The American Liberation Front, considered a domestic terrorist group by the FBI, has claimed responsibility for releasing 10,000 minks from a farm a few days ago. About 80 percent have been recaptured.

A $100,000 reward is offered for information that leads to the conviction of the people who released the minks.

The reward is offered by the industry group, Fur Commission USA. A spokeswoman, Teresa Platt, said Monday's attack has alarmed other fur farmers who are now taking extra precautions to protect their property.

About 1,000 animals were lost from the Roesler Brothers Fur Farm.

The Animal Liberation Front had claimed responsibility. The FBI is helping police with the investigation.

The Sultan mink farm hit by animal liberation activists produces about 15 percent of the mink pelts that come from Washington. The state has 15 mink farms that produced 113,000 pelts in 2001.

At $40 a pelt, that's $4.5 million, making the state one of the top ten mink fur producers in the nation.

http://www.wral.com/news/2443390/detail.html

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Minks Freed By Domestic Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: wingnutx]
    #1863140 - 08/29/03 03:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Idiots.

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Minks Freed By Domestic Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: shakta]
    #1863142 - 08/29/03 03:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Animal activists say that while the farm animals' deaths are unfortunate, it proves minks raised in captivity can survive in the wild.

That's my favorite line :smile:

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Minks Freed By Domestic Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: wingnutx]
    #1863146 - 08/29/03 03:15 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I am sure farm raised tigers could live in the wild too, but I ain't gonna release a bunch of them. These guys and the ELF seem to do more harm for their cause than good with their actions.

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Minks Freed By Domestic Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: shakta]
    #1863156 - 08/29/03 03:18 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think the ducks would agree.

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: wingnutx]
    #1863809 - 08/29/03 08:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Lets release the goddamn grizzley bears.I love being 8 or 9 on the food chain.Adrenaline is a cheap drug.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: shroomophile]
    #1863822 - 08/29/03 08:12 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

The grizzlies are not being held anywhere as far as I know. :smile:

If you like being low on the food chain go swim in the water in Australia. Those damn white sharks scare the hell out of me. I watched all that shark week stuff, and noticed one interesting thing. Most sharks are all sleek and pretty looking. The White sharks are mean as hell looking, and all scarred to hell from fighting each other. All the ones I saw looked like Rocky after the fight with Apollo Creed. They eat seals the size of cows for a snack.

Invisibleshroomophile
ShroomitusFidelis
Male User Gallery

Loc: USA
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: shakta]
    #1863848 - 08/29/03 08:25 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I think they call it a zoo.There was also Grizzley Adams and "Gentle"Ben.What about those Guys rassling Bears in upstate N.Y.Those guys know how to whoop a bears ass.But seriously,I have surfed alittle in san diego, and yea,i get a little adrenaline rush with the fishies too.

--------------------
Once the mighty oak,was a nut who held his ground.

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: shroomophile]
    #1863865 - 08/29/03 08:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

There are more bears in the wild than in zoos. I don't want to argue about bears though. As far as surfing there goes, just do it when they aren't there. The white sharks do come to California every year. Hell they pretty much go wherever they want. These things are definately amazing animals. They are scary as hell, but I respect them, and think they should definately be around.

Grizzly Adams was the shit. Putting quotes around "Gentle"Ben made me laugh my ass off. I ain't trusting no 9' tall bear. That is for damn sure. That would scare the piss out of me. I got my picture taken with one at the fair once, and swore I would never do it again. They do freak out every once in a while, and I don't want to be the one guy Happy the Bear decides to eat.

OfflineClover
phenomenal woman
Loc: Beyond the Veil
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: shakta]
    #1867298 - 08/30/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I particularly hate this type of group. Inevitably, they end up being linked by the media to legitimate ecological protection groups.
Because the ALF is so extreme, it makes for a nice story on the 10:00 news and can be easily lumped in through clever segue.

--------------------
"Those sweet excesses I do adore."

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: Clover]
    #1867410 - 08/31/03 12:05 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, I really hope wingenutx wasn't blanketing this towards every ecologist or environmentalist.These extremist morons do not speak for the vast majority of environmentalists.

What's up with the right and their total lack of concern for the environment? Don't give me that environment over people shit. The environment effects us all. No group or any other entity should be above that,if it means losing a few jobs or whatnot in the process.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisiblewingnutx

Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: monoamine]
    #1867478 - 08/31/03 12:37 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Blanketing what? I just posted an article.

I don't care if people protest anything, as long as they don't vandalize and light stuff on fire. PETA protests involve a lot of nekked chicks, which is a-ok in my book, though I think they are fairly silly people.

OfflineClover
phenomenal woman
Loc: Beyond the Veil
    #1870697 - 09/01/03 07:56 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have no idea. I suppose they feel that the environment is not important enough an issue right now because people, in general, are still able to consume - and resources are still "plentiful" (and I use that word with caution). Until such time that we are so desperate and depleted that factions are fighting for the most basic of necessities (water, shelter, food), or petrol, it will be of no consequence to them to even *think* environmentally.

Their short-sightedness makes me ill.

--------------------
"Those sweet excesses I do adore."

Edited by Clover (09/01/03 07:57 AM)

OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: wingnutx]
    #1870744 - 09/01/03 08:50 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Animal rights people mean well. That's why I love them.

They have good intentions.

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #1870773 - 09/01/03 09:19 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I don't see how these animal rights people have anything to do with environmentalism. It has everything to do with people deciding that "animals are people, too".

I just wish that everyone would realize that our world, the way we know it, exists because every living thing consumes some type of other living thing in order to potentiate its own life and reproduce.

Do these people think that the mink gave any consideration to the pain that was inflicted on the ducks and other animals as they were eating them? No. Neither should we.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineDava
journeyman
Loc: Belgium
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1871036 - 09/01/03 12:07 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No, but the minks killed the ducks cause they were hungry, not because they had a need after luxury.

--------------------
"These psychedelic substances cause hysterical psychoses in people who have not taken them..."
- Timothy Leary

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: Learyfan]
    #1871084 - 09/01/03 12:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I could care less about a person's intentions. I'm more concerned with what they actually do.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: Dava]
    #1871741 - 09/01/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dava said:
No, but the minks killed the ducks cause they were hungry, not because they had a need after luxury.

Do you really think that those people that let those mink out intend to stop at just the fur industry? Their goal is to not have any animal killed for any reason and that includes the cow that provides my T-bones and the chickens that you get your grilled chicken sandwich from. I don't mean to say that animals should be slaughtered indiscriminately but people have to come to terms with what they are. We are predators in the food chain. Our place in this world is set and if we don't fulfill our obligation to that role then we are screwing around with the natural order of things. I enjoy and embrace what I am, as did our ancestors. I am a being that sometimes has to prey on other living beings to attain sustenance.

As far as the whole fur coat luxury issue goes, I look at the fur as another resource that nature has set before us to chose from for our needs. I know that we now have more choices to chose from and that it is not necessary to use fur, but it is also not necessary to use real leather for shoes and other products made from leather. The point is that we like these things and have provided a means to utilize these resources without depleting nature. I'm sure same people aren't out there fighting for the rights of the silk worm to keep it silk. The poor things kept in captivity and then robbed of there sole possession after spending so much time to produce a place for their young to be raised.

Give me a break.

I think now I'm going to go outside on my deck and get the grill ready. I've got a few steaks in the freezer the would be real good right about now. And after supper I think I'll start getting ready for hunting season which is right around the corner. And when I kill a deer this year I'll be thinking of all of the mink that I saved by having the hide tanned and made into nice fur blanket to keep my feet warm while I'm sitting in the stand waiting for the next deer to come along.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflineDava
journeyman
Loc: Belgium
Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: Ekstaza]
    #1871813 - 09/01/03 04:36 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

We are predators in the food chain. Our place in this world is set and if we don't fulfill our obligation to that role then we are screwing around with the natural order of things. I enjoy and embrace what I am, as did our ancestors.

How many ppl can hunt down an animal in the wild, can rip its skin off, can you cook its meat and eat it afterwards without being sick the day after or fucking it up?
We may be at the top of the food chain, we arent predators or we dont follow the natural order of things.
Keeping thousands of chickens on a couple of hundreds suare meters is not a natural thing.

Quote:

As far as the whole fur coat luxury issue goes, I look at the fur as another resource that nature has set before us to chose from for our needs. I know that we now have more choices to chose from and that it is not necessary to use fur, but it is also not necessary to use real leather for shoes and other products made from leather. The point is that we like these things and have provided a means to utilize these resources without depleting nature. I'm sure same people aren't out there fighting for the rights of the silk worm to keep it silk. The poor things kept in captivity and then robbed of there sole possession after spending so much time to produce a place for their young to be raised.

Sure, nature did it all of us.
Minks only purpose is to give us furs, cows only purpose is giving us t-bones, trees only purpose is giving us wood.
I guess you have never heard of ecolgy.
And the importance of it.
We are going nowhere, it might seem we are abundant in resources with all those improved farming techniques.
But the contrary is right, resources are diminishing each year.
Farms produce less, but it is compensated by many fertilizers, pesticides and genetic manipulation who boost the natural resources for just one extra year.. and another.. but time is running out..

--------------------
"These psychedelic substances cause hysterical psychoses in people who have not taken them..."
- Timothy Leary

Edited by Dava (09/01/03 04:37 PM)

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Re: Terrorists Eating Farm Animals [Re: Dava]
    #1871898 - 09/01/03 05:05 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dava said:

How many ppl can hunt down an animal in the wild, can rip its skin off, can you cook its meat and eat it afterwards without being sick the day after or fucking it up?
We may be at the top of the food chain, we arent predators or we dont follow the natural order of things.
Keeping thousands of chickens on a couple of hundreds suare meters is not a natural thing.

I personally know lots of people who can do these things using their natural ability to think about the situation and improvise. Animals do the same thing within their limits to capture and subdue their prey.
I myself personally dress and prepare all of the meat that I get from hunting. Anyone who is taught how can do the same. Do you think that predatory animals are born with the knowledge of how to take down their prey? No, they learn from their parents how to do these things, just as I have.

Quote:

Sure, nature did it all of us.
Minks only purpose is to give us furs, cows only purpose is giving us t-bones, trees only purpose is giving us wood.
I guess you have never heard of ecolgy.
And the importance of it.
We are going nowhere, it might seem we are abundant in resources with all those improved farming techniques.
But the contrary is right, resources are diminishing each year.
Farms produce less, but it is compensated by many fertilizers, pesticides and genetic manipulation who boost the natural resources for just one extra year.. and another.. but time is running out..

As I have stated before, I don't think that what this thread is all about has anything to do with ecology at all. Except for the fact that the people who released all of those mink had no concern for the ecology of the area in which they released them into. Besided the farm animals that were lost to the mink, there were undoubtably wildlife losses as well.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Unfolding Nature Shop: Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order