Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
InvisibleNifflerz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Texas
Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: pirate-blues]
    #18725258 - 08/18/13 10:44 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

pirate-blues said:
Everyone in this thread should read the book Cruddy. Part of the book is set in small creepy ass little towns in the '60's and '70's that the author just describes with such insane vivid detail, the pictures she paints in your mind about these places. It's probably my favorite book of all time, there's also a re-occuring theme of hallucinogens so I'm sure it would be up your guys alley anyway.

Cool I need to check this out. Sounds good.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepirate-blues
Female

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: kinkaku]
    #18725283 - 08/18/13 10:50 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

kinkaku said:
Quote:

pirate-blues said:
Everyone in this thread should read the book Cruddy. Part of the book is set in small creepy ass little towns in the '60's and '70's that the author just describes with such insane vivid detail, the pictures she paints in your mind about these places. It's probably my favorite book of all time, there's also a re-occuring theme of hallucinogens so I'm sure it would be up your guys alley anyway.

whats it about? is it a horror book? it  looks pretty intiresting but you can never judge a book by the cover.

It's definitely not a horror book but it has some insanely creepy moments. The protagonist is a 16 year old girl in 1971(no this is not a coming of age tale, I swear) who eventually kills herself. I don't feel too bad giving that away because it pretty much opens up as her suicide note.. It is definitely a dark read, for sure. Both my parents read it too and loved it.
Here's the amazon page, I'd start there, I don't think I could type out a synopsis that did it any justice..

Quote:

Lynda Barry's illustrated novel Cruddy has not one but three equally alarming openings. The first is a suicide note: "Dear Anyone Who Finds This, Do not blame the drugs." The next is a description of the lurid crucifix that hangs over the narrator's bed: "Some nights looking at him scares me so bad I can hardly move and I start doing a prayer for protection. But when the thing that is scaring you is already Jesus, who are you supposed to pray to?" The third is worthy of a nightmare fairytale, beginning "Once upon a cruddy time on a cruddy street on the side of a cruddy hill in the cruddiest part of a crudded-out town in a cruddy state, country, world, solar system, universe..."

She's not exaggerating. It's 1971, and 16-year-old Roberta Rohbeson lives in what looks very much like hell. It's five years after the Lucky Chief Motel Massacre, after which Roberta was found wandering the desert, covered with blood and clutching her dog, Cookie, who suffers from "incurable skin problems." Even now, Roberta still won't talk about what happened. She lives with her mother and sister on the aforementioned cruddy street, hides in the weeds during her lunch period, and eventually befriends some suicidal misfits like herself. The novel intercuts their chemically enhanced adventures with scenes from a gore-filled road trip taken five years before. Hint No. 1: Roberta's father used to run a slaughterhouse. Hint No. 2: The maps inside the front covers have keys that read "Dead People We Left Behind" and "Places There Were Blood."

Barry came to fame as a cartoonist, and though the humor in her strip Ernie Pook's Comeek is dark, nothing in it could prepare her fans for the sheer horror of Cruddy. The novel is funny, sort of, as long as you think naming a knife Little Debbie is funny, or lines like "A man who has been dead for a week in a hot trailer looks more like a man than you would first expect." What's more, it's compulsively, almost harrowingly, readable, written with the kind of velocity that makes you keep turning pages even when you don't want to. Despite the hallucinogenic quality of the violence around her, Roberta is never anything less than real, and her story will strike chords in anyone whose childhood was marked by ugliness and fear. Cruddy may be a bad acid trip, but if you can stomach the ride, it's a very good book.

http://www.amazon.com/Cruddy-Illustrated-Novel-Lynda-Barry/dp/068483846X

Edited by pirate-blues (08/18/13 10:52 PM)

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: KevinDontWave]
    #18725300 - 08/18/13 10:53 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

KevinDontWave said:
Amarillo, Texas. Got stranded there in a bus station at 3 in the morning. Smoked a shitty joint on the corner with some sketchy fuckers. It was super creepy cause it was 3 AM and the town was just dead.

:lol: Amarillo, shit yeah I remember that place

InvisibleNifflerz
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: Repertoire89]
    #18725305 - 08/18/13 10:55 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Amarillo isn't really a small town, though. It's like 200,000 strong. But yeah it's pretty shitty and sketch. I've driven through a few times. Everybody there seems pretty damn rough around the edges if you know what I mean.

--------------------

InvisibleRepertoire89
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: Nifflerz]
    #18725330 - 08/18/13 11:04 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I didn't stop, was passing through with a hurricane or large thunder storm basically chasing us out of the state. Very strange day driving like 80mph with the edge of the storm hovering over us and traveling the same direction for a few hours, the sun was setting in front and it looked like some apocalypse scene with the sky retreating before the dark cloud and thunder

Strange memory of Amarilla Texas

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

Loc: CO Flag
Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: Repertoire89]
    #18725445 - 08/18/13 11:41 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

gold hill colorado

glen haven colorado

glen haven is more stuck in the early 1900s as opposed to being creepy

--------------------
ModestMouse said:
"Much love for all of the regs here that's all I got to say
:goodnight: "

:heart:

InvisibleNifflerz
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: trippinballs420]
    #18725567 - 08/19/13 12:12 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah some of those little ass remote towns are like freeze framed in time.

When I made the drive through remote Wymoing (well pretty much the entire state is remote) to get to Yellowstone, a lot of those tiny towns along the way were like that. I mean these fucking towns (some with populations of less than 100) were hours and hours away from all directions from any major city. Shit man fucking pronghorn antelope probably outnumbered them 100 to 1 out there.

Anyways check this shit out

1 person, lmao. You're the entire town. The sheriff. The mayor. The criminal. Everything.

--------------------

Offlineiarphairc
Stranger Danger
Male

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: Nifflerz]
    #18726049 - 08/19/13 05:31 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Half of the villages in Ireland probably qualify for this lol

--------------------
The secret of freedom lies in educating people, whereas the secret of tyranny is in keeping them ignorant- Maximilien Robespierre

Offlinenuentoter
conduit
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: iarphairc]
    #18726139 - 08/19/13 06:28 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I grew up in a town of about 120 ppl. It was nice and friendly old french acadian potato farmers, loggers, and trappers made up the whole town.

--------------------

The geometry of us is no chance. We are antennae, we are tuning forks, we are receiver and transmitters of all energy. We are more than we know.  - @entheolove

"I found I could say things with color and shapes that I couldn't say any other way - things I had no words for"  - Georgia O'Keefe

I think the word is vagina

InvisibleNifflerz
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: nuentoter]
    #18726178 - 08/19/13 06:41 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

All these stories are cool and stuff but I was really looking more along the lines of backwoods towns where everybody inbreeds and is deformed and they set traps for unsuspecting tourists who are just passing through and they cut them up and eat em and stuff. You know, towns like that. Lets put this thread into the next gear, people.

--------------------

OfflineFire is Born
wanderer
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: Tripsurfer]
    #18726251 - 08/19/13 07:12 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Tripsurfer said:
Driving around Portugal in our camper this summer.

We found this beachparking in the middle of the woods. It was quite busy during the day. We decided to freecamp there that night.

Dusk came and went and we were the only ones there. It was pitchblack and we were surrounded by nothing but deep forest. My gf did not like it at all. Then these cars started to appear. They just drove onto the parkinglot drove around our camper and left again. We got the feeling these guys were scoping us out for a major camperjacking later that night.

After the fifth time this happened we got the fuck out of there. Drove half an hour to the nearest town and parked on the boulevard. I acted cool but was secretly glad my GF wanted to leave  :grin:

Prob just looking for a place to smoke or fuck

OfflineTripsurfer
Bring Back Asante!
Male

Loc: West of Windward Flag
Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: Fire is Born]
    #18726723 - 08/19/13 09:41 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

So why didn't they?

I mean the place was empty, and everybody knows the Dutch are cool about everything.

--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.

Offlinejvm
I knew the pieces fit!
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio Flag
    #18727011 - 08/19/13 11:04 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Niffla said:
All these stories are cool and stuff but I was really looking more along the lines of backwoods towns where everybody inbreeds and is deformed and they set traps for unsuspecting tourists who are just passing through and they cut them up and eat em and stuff. You know, towns like that. Lets put this thread into the next gear, people.

it doesn't exist like that. the shit portrayed like that in movies are to cast stereotypes and fear of traveling into 'unknown' places to the masses to keep them complacent in sick cities.

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: Tripsurfer]
    #18727060 - 08/19/13 11:16 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

welcome to bandytown wv

a documentary was made by a couple of the jackass dudes on a family from around this town

you wanted some redneck inbred fucks huh? watch the movie

yes, inbred fucking redneck hick retard towns and people still exist....if youve never seen one you should try going to appalachia

--------------------
ModestMouse said:

Invisibletrippinballs420
Samall Johnson
Male User Gallery

Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: jvm]
    #18727105 - 08/19/13 11:28 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

jvm said:
Quote:

Niffla said:

it doesn't exist like that. the shit portrayed like that in movies are to cast stereotypes and fear of traveling into 'unknown' places to the masses to keep them complacent in sick cities.

it totally does exist like that....go to some places in south/southwest WV, southwest virginia, eastern kentucky, north eastern tennessee, western north carolina, and even north western south carolina and northern georgia...youll be baffled at some of the people/towns you find...like 80% of the town cant read type of shit

hell even in like louisiana, alabama, and mississippi youll find some places like that.

--------------------
ModestMouse said:

OfflineTripsurfer
Bring Back Asante!
Male

Loc: West of Windward Flag
Re: Weirdest, creepiest small towns/places you've been to or driven through? [Re: trippinballs420]
    #18727466 - 08/19/13 12:41 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

The problem is people don't make it out alive to come here and tell the story...:eek:

--------------------
Ach en wee ben ik de klos, met mijn boog schoot ik een albatros...

A philosopher is a person who knows less and less about more and more, until he knows nothing about everything.

OfflineKonyap

Loc: Planet Piss
    #18727647 - 08/19/13 01:24 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I was working out with my friend upstairs in his room and we just hear someone yelling I think, because my friend must have been spotting me and this guy is just standing in the backyard saying what up. We never see anyone at that house, but every once in awhile in all the months I've worked out at his house, cars owned by young adults obviously will just pull up and people will go inside, but the house looks vacant.

Someone asked me once on the bus, "Are you getting off here?" and I'm like, "No, I'm not going to buy weed..." then he gets off the bus and I feel soooo fucking embarrassed.

Anyway he's like "What's going on?" "Oh yeah, can I work out with you guys?" and my friends like "No, sorry there just isn't enough room up here." and this goes on for awhile. Probably a year later I'm on the guys block now and we're picking up weed someone brings up extacy or something... and I'm looking at the chain linked fences on the corner like someone must be selling crack over there, I see a lot of eyes.

My mom is driving me and another friend into this town, everybody is outside and there are bench presses right out front, then we get to this one crossing going up and there's this old old really sturdy looking tree and it is just covered in stuffed animals and photocoppied posters I mean, the fucking jungle book was hanging off the limbs and shit and my friend is just like "OH MY GOD!!" and starts like laughing in amazement.

I have a saying now that when you get into white neighborhoods you turn down the music.

Black Neighborhoods you lock the doors.

Asian Neighborhoods roll up the windows.

Spanish neighborhoods fill up on gas, you're in for a long ride.:lol:

InvisibleNifflerz
Male User Gallery

#18728005 - 08/19/13 02:50 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Tripsurfer said:
The problem is people don't make it out alive to come here and tell the story...:eek:

:scarygrin:

--------------------

InvisibleLegend
RIP Sasha
Male

Loc: TX Flag
    #18728035 - 08/19/13 02:57 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Remote Texas also has some really interesting little towns. Once you get like hours removed from any of the major TX cities, it truly is like stepping back in time. I bet if you turned back the clock 50 years a lot of those places would still look the same.

yeah i can agree with that, never seen anything really weird tho,
maybe the creepiest it gets is when you hit those dry counties.

--------------------
No sympathy for the devil, keep that in mind.
[url=
]Buy the ticket, take the ride. [/url]
Are you lost?

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom