Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHagbardCeline
Student-Teacher-Student-Teacher
Male User Gallery

Loc: Overjoyed, at the bottom ...
Jar prep, How the hell do you do this
    #1869229 - 08/31/03 07:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

My friend wants me to ask how you prepare your jars.

There is little info on specifics that he could find in the FAQ.

1.  Should the lids be loose for pc'ing?
2.  How the hell do you do the polyfill fiters?  Do you just stuff some on top of the popcorn?  Before pcing?
3.  How about tyvek, as he is doing some this way too.

If the lids are loose, do you put the alum. foil loose?  Should it be pretty tight?

Basically, could someone just write a detailed tek on jar prep?

Please,  :loveeyes: 

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: Jar prep, How the hell do you do this [Re: HagbardCeline]
    #1869366 - 08/31/03 08:42 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Two holes in lid.
One will be 1/4" and holds a piece of polyfil tight.
The 2nd hole made by a small nail, just large enough for a syringe needle to fit through.

Tape then covers the needle hole. Packaging tape is good, with a folded edge so it creates an easy peel-back tab for later syringe inoculation.

Next, put lid firmly on jar, be it thread or spring fit, and cover in foil so the polyfil stays dry. PC it.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: Jar prep, How the hell do you do this [Re: Starter]
    #1869374 - 08/31/03 08:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

You only need one hole. Just inject past the polyfil.  :laugh: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

#1869382 - 08/31/03 08:45 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

do you just stuff the hole with polyfill? Or does it go into the jar? How tight should the lids be if you are using filters?

--------------------
I keep it real because I think it is important that a highly esteemed individual such as myself keep it real lest they experience the dreaded spontaneous non-existance of no longer keeping it real. - Hagbard Celine

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: Jar prep, How the hell do you do this [Re: dog]
    #1869386 - 08/31/03 08:46 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

also prep your popcorn via the tek written in the FAQs: Alien has a nice write up in the substrates/bulk section.
-ar393

Invisiblear393
old timer
Male
Loc: VT
Re: Jar prep, How the hell do you do this [Re: ar393]
    #1869388 - 08/31/03 08:48 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

oh on the tyvek note (if you are using postal/FedEx envelopes) I would use two layers, I found that one layer allows too much water to evaporate. I personally haven't tried two layers yet, i went back to my tried and true no filter method, but thats my two cents.
-ar393

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1869391 - 08/31/03 08:49 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Dog, I tried injecting (in the past) through the polyfil and my needles bent up and even blocked with polyfil on the way through. But whatever works. :smile:

HagbardCeline, just push a piece of polyfil into the hole with a small screw driver. 

--------------------

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
    #1869404 - 08/31/03 08:55 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

DONT use 2 layers, it doesnot allow for too much water to escape, Ive used them many tiumes and had NO problems. I simply open the jar infront of my 200 degree oven and inject the spores in, and screw on the lid. The oven allows for no contamns(Never had one) Use a 1/4" drill bit to make your hole for air exchange. Dont fuck with polyfill, tyvek is way easier, and free.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1869411 - 08/31/03 08:58 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dog, I tried injecting (in the past) through the polyfil and my needles bent up and even blocked 

Try injecting past the polyfil, not through it. Pull the polyfil to one side and insert the needle between the polyfil and the lid.

Or just keep doing what you're doing so long as it works for ya!  :thumbup: 

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

OfflineHagbardCeline
Male User Gallery

Re: Jar prep, How the hell do you do this [Re: dog]
    #1869420 - 08/31/03 09:02 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

What about the tightness of the jars, assuming I use polyfill? Once the holes have been made, and the one taped, the other stuffed (right?), then how tight should the lids be before pc? How tight should the foil be?

--------------------

InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1869450 - 08/31/03 09:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Dog, I gave that a go, but I think the way I have my polyfil spreading out over the hole, it's not easy to "inject past". Thanks though on the idea. :smile:

HagbardCeline, the lids are on firmly. I guess you've got threaded jars but that shouldn't be a problem as I use threaded jars for making mycelium solutions. Pic you see is a spring top and O ring seal jar. That lid is on tight and on the other side of the lid, a taped inoculation hole. Jar complete.

Anyway, about to case a couple... :smile: 

One more thing, the foil only needs to be on so it keeps the water off the polyfil. You're going to have to pull it off when the jars cool to inoculate, so don't press it tight.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags