Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Loc: Indiana
Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids
    #18690891 - 08/11/13 11:23 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Hey y'all, it's me again. I am acquiring a P. Ovoid print this week. My intention is to populate my area with Ovoids to spread their habitat further west. I wanted to start gathering info from those of you who have experience cultivating and hunting Ovoids in one thread to help myself and any others who want to help Mother Nature expand their growing region.

Here's the info on my region. I live in the Wabash Valley area of Indiana/Illinois. We have numerous flood planes due to the Wabash River and the creeks and streams that dump into it. Our tree population is the same as most central Indiana areas. My plan is to inoculate dowels from agar, then take a drill and rubber mallet out in the woods with me and start noc'ing downed trees, if this is a viable method. If not, tell me what I need to do. I live in a downtown area, so an outdoor bed at my home isn't going to happen, and I really am just interested in "seeding" the area more than cultivating them anyways. I'd like to be able to write up a collaborated "Tek" for those of us who are interested is helping P. Ovoids to widen their habitat. We rarely get winds coming from due east, so for them to spread west they need help.

If I am successful in growing these, I will offer all Ovoids prints I take, at no cost, to anyone living in Indiana, bordering states, and anywhere Ovoids can naturally grow, with the condition that you must also propagate wild Ovoids in your region and share prints from those that grow. Grow logs of wild propagation and reports of free prints given will be a must, from the first print received, before I will give a good trade rating and send anyone a second print. No wild grow log, or reports of selling or trading prints, will result in a bad trade rating and public cyber-flogging! This offer is ONLY for those who are serious about helping Mother Nature and NOT for personal gain. Since it will be a good while before I can send out prints, keep checking back here for updated info. I will use this thread as my log for first grow. Any tips on faster method of cultivation so I can start getting prints out to people will be greatly appreciated.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineShroomhunter510
Fussy Eater
Female

Loc: Bahamas
Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: ghiajake]
    #18690982 - 08/11/13 11:46 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Try colonizing some grain , once that's finished allow the grain to colonize the wood chips.

I've never grew mycelium from wood lovers,.  I beleive you have to clean up the wild print by using agar before you can get a Sterile culture for fungal success.

I have  encountered ovoids in my region as  they are often rarely located ,  & I have the same idea you have. These mushrooms are gradually spreading like wild fires  & I want to ignite the flames ha

Iam going to be practicing on ps. Alleni & ps. Cyanescens before I move into the oviods considering those are my main focal interest & I don't want to fuck them up before I even started

Let me know how this process goes for you , I'm definitely interested. Good luck :smile:

InvisibleB_BOY
Phuck Ewe
Male User Gallery

Loc: O
Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: Shroomhunter510]
    #18690985 - 08/11/13 11:47 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

already trying to spread the love here in Ohio

--------------------
:tard:

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: B_BOY]
    #18691061 - 08/11/13 12:02 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Awesome guys. I have P. Alleni coming also, that I will probably be doing the same as here with, but I don't know if they'll make the shift to my climate here. Agar work first on both, of course. The Ovoid I'm getting was cultivated in a flower pot in a GH, btw. Alleni print is a wild one though, from San Fran area.

OfflineHygrocybe
Walkin Wonderland
 User Gallery

#18691253 - 08/11/13 12:45 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

The fastest growth I see is not in debris piles or downed logs, it's in areas with lots of grass in sandy soil where periodic flooding leaves scattered debris. This might be the shores of the bend in a creek, or the banks above it up to 100 yards from the water. Ovoid mycelium can grow on dead grasses, and possibly the roots as well, creating a temporary network that can cover a wide area. I only have experience with using spore water, mycelium would require different techniques.

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: Hygrocybe]
    #18691853 - 08/11/13 03:19 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

A member posted this over in the "Official Ovoid Season Thread" in response to this thread.

Quote:

suchen said:
I would go spores to agar to grain to liquid culture. Use the liquid culture to spray directly on good habitat areas. I think that is how NeoSporen does things, and the results are quite good.

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nelson Mandela House, Peckham Flag
    #18691944 - 08/11/13 03:43 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Nice thread , once you have the Myc growing on grain your laughing . I do print to popcorn to a mix of aspen bedding and mixed hard woodchip in a mini mono tube first and then use that to start a outdoor bed or planter pot grow .
mini mono tubes both Ovoids
planter I made last year
around mid spring due to weather here in the UK
Got two nice flushes got of this pot .

After second flush I added more woodchip and hoping to see fruit in the fall ,if not I always have 3 other planters which I also started last year with PS.Cyans , Ps .alleni and Ps Azures . will post some pics in your thread when they fruit . Planters work well as when the temperature stays below 0c for a few days you can always move your grow to keep them fruiting . Once you have fruit stem butts are your best friend .

I never use agar to clean up wild prints , popcorn works just fine as the kernels are large and you can always break it up and save some good myc if your jars turn sour . I wish you luck and will keep a eye on your thread

Edited by mandrax360 (08/11/13 03:45 PM)

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: mandrax360]
    #18693954 - 08/12/13 12:17 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Those are some nice pics! I'll Have to try some in tubs like that, but like I said I mainly am interested in wild propagation. Thanks for posting. :smile:

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: B_BOY]
    #18693973 - 08/12/13 12:20 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

B_BOY said:
already trying to spread the love here in Ohio

Are you having any luck?

OfflineNoBeginningNoEnd

#18694260 - 08/12/13 02:40 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mandrax360 said:
mini mono tubes both Ovoids
planter I made last year
around mid spring due to weather here in the UK
Got two nice flushes got of this pot .

Impressive work, mandrax360 :congrats:  What's the black stuff that looks like a casing layer?  Or is it soil mixed with some wood?  I find it hard to know what I'm looking at.  Watch the answer be obvious and I'll make an ass of myself...but can you describe how you prepare your planters, what goes into them, and the type and thickness of the casing layer if there is one?

Quote:

I never use agar to clean up wild prints

You like to live dangerously :lol:.  I'm guessing that this works because woodlovers don't contaminate as easily as, say, dunglovers.  Is that true?

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: NoBeginningNoEnd]
    #18694323 - 08/12/13 03:50 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

NoBeginningNoEnd said:

Impressive work, mandrax360 :congrats:  What's the black stuff that looks like a casing layer?  Or is it soil mixed with some wood?  I find it hard to know what I'm looking at.  Watch the answer be obvious and I'll make an ass of myself...but can you describe how you prepare your planters, what goes into them, and the type and thickness of the casing layer if there is one?

I drilled holes on all 5 sides of the pot to prevent it from flooding and for FAE . Then added potting soil to cover 8mm -10mm of the bottom of the pot . Then I added a layer of dried leaves and mixed woodchip ( a mixture of birch , beech ans ash chipping )to about 1/3 of the pot , placed my mini mono spawn in and covered with the rest of the woodchip I preped . I added a casting layer of seedling mix and potting soil and planted some wild grass to help create a mirco climate .

Left outdoors most of the year and moved to my shed in the winter but had to move it to my garage as it froze solid in my shed . Got it back out just before spring and placed in a shady area of my garden . Theres some info on this grow and other in the link in my sig . I'm due to update it soon as I have some pic's to upload but I'm still a bit lazy .

Quote:

I never use agar to clean up wild prints

You like to live dangerously :lol:.  I'm guessing that this works because woodlovers don't contaminate as easily as, say, dunglovers.  Is that true?

I must just be lucky when it comes to woodlovers but you are right woodlovers are more forgiving when it comes to contaminates , I have only lost 2 jars since I started doing woodlovers which was WBS and since moving to popcorn I will never go back .

For anyone wanting Ovoid prints there should be some hitting the marketplace soon as I just sent 20+ prints to a U.S member to host a giveaway that I did not have the time to complete .

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: ghiajake] * 1
    #18694333 - 08/12/13 03:58 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ghiajake said:
Those are some nice pics! I'll Have to try some in tubs like that, but like I said I mainly am interested in wild propagation. Thanks for posting. :smile:

When I made the planters I made 2 the 1 you see in the pics above and the other I spawned the whole pot out in the woods where I go camping . I have had outdoor beds destroyed by squirrels and other rodents before . As long as you spawn the whole pot intact outdoors it full fruit just the same . Good luck Ghiajake and let us know how you get on with the Ps.Alleni .

Edited by mandrax360 (09/13/13 02:49 AM)

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: Shroomhunter510]
    #18694380 - 08/12/13 05:01 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Shroomhunter510 said:
Iam going to be practicing on ps. Alleni & ps. Cyanescens before I move into the oviods...

Tell ya what, you run with the P. Alleni and Ps. Cyans, and I'll run with the Ovoids first. That way we can exchange tips for when we switch species. From my understanding, they are relatively the same conditions, minus the sandy soil for Ovoids. Is this correct?

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Around some corner... Flag
    #18695020 - 08/12/13 10:57 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I think since a close to home outdoor patch is not an option for you, you should probably go into an area that resembles their natural habitat (in the woods close to a stream) and follow a good woodlover tek, but maybe substitute soil for sand, or possibly just add some sand in the mix. That's one things I nearly always find Ovoids with, sand. I've never grown them because I have no land and I don't want to make a trip to the woods every time I think they might need some water, but if I were to grow them, I'd use woodchips for the final spawn rather than trying to fruit from logs or branches. Dig a few parellel trenches about 4 inches wide and six inches deep and put your spawn mix in that. Maybe try to encourage some type of plant growth on top of them, they like shelter like that. Make sure it's a shady area, but they do seem to like a little sun, and remember, SAND.

--------------------
God lay his finger at the Mouth of the Serpent

March 1984

A pleasing land of drowsy head it was,
Of dreams that wave before the half-shut eye,
And of gay castles in the clouds that pass,
For ever flushing round a summer sky. -Castle of Indolence

Offlinefatchillin
Wanderer
 User Gallery

Loc: pNw
Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: Toe_Jam]
    #18695086 - 08/12/13 11:15 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I'm going to be spreading this species in the northern PNW area for next spring :smile:

doing agar to grain to LC then LC bombing locations.

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

#18695116 - 08/12/13 11:26 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Toe_Jam said:
I think since a close to home outdoor patch is not an option for you, you should probably go into an area that resembles their natural habitat (in the woods close to a stream) and follow a good woodlover tek, but maybe substitute soil for sand, or possibly just add some sand in the mix. That's one things I nearly always find Ovoids with, sand. I've never grown them because I have no land and I don't want to make a trip to the woods every time I think they might need some water, but if I were to grow them, I'd use woodchips for the final spawn rather than trying to fruit from logs or branches. Dig a few parellel trenches about 4 inches wide and six inches deep and put your spawn mix in that. Maybe try to encourage some type of plant growth on top of them, they like shelter like that. Make sure it's a shady area, but they do seem to like a little sun, and remember, SAND.

Thanks for the advice TJ. I had posted this on another's log, but haven't gotten an answer yet.

Quote:

ghiajake said:
Awesome grows guys! Just making the transition to woodlovers and am getting some good info. I read a while back in this thread someone wanted to try plugs for Ovoid spawning. Any reports on how this works? And maple leaves are good for Ovoids? Could you collect fallen maple leaves, grind them up, mix some with fine hardwood mulch, compost for a bit, then pasteurize and spawn with myc using ground leaves and sandy soil as a casing layer?

What do you think of the last part?

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

#18695188 - 08/12/13 11:46 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I have seen them colonize leaves pretty aggressively, and it would simulate their natural habitat pretty well, I'd say it's worth a shot. Maybe limit the amount of leave though, woodchips provide more nutrients.

--------------------

March 1984

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

#18695236 - 08/12/13 11:58 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I was thinking the leaves added nitrogen and acidic ph maybe. And that the ground leaves would help "boost" the myc and help it to close the gaps in the mulch. Until I try it out its all congecture anyways. Am I correct in assuming the main hinderance for indoor cultivation is the low temps which woodlovers need for fruiting? If so, my basement keeps a constant 50-55F temp during the winter months. I might get a smaller GH for woodlover indoor tests this winter.

InvisibleToe_Jam
Bluefoot Bandit
Male User Gallery

#18695243 - 08/12/13 12:00 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

As I said, I have never grown woodlovers myself, but yes, I think they are finicky with temperature, and that's why there have been few indoor woodlover success, I'm sure you could find a thread on the subject.

--------------------

March 1984

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

#18695269 - 08/12/13 12:07 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Trying to now. I fucking hate the SE!

InvisibleVirginiaGentleman
Lignin seeker
 User Gallery

Loc: birch beech maple oak
    #18701383 - 08/13/13 08:18 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mandrax360 said:
After second flush I added more woodchip and hoping to see fruit in the fall ,if not I always have 3 other planters which I also started last year with PS.Cyans , Ps .alleni and Ps Azures . will post some pics in your thread when they fruit .

Did you ever 'turn' the planter? So a one year wait, same with the ovoid pot? what time-frame did you get from grain->woodtub->planter-Fruit?

--------------------
Ps. Allenii, Arcana, Azure, Baeos, Caerulipes, Cyan, Ovoid, Subreg, etc FT - Only seeking Ps. woodlovers - legal USA + CAN - Intended for microscopy use only

Invisiblemandrax360
Woodchipper Deluxe
Male User Gallery

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: VirginiaGentleman] * 1
    #18707685 - 08/15/13 03:12 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

From grain to fruit to around 8 long mouths but with a little TLC it will last years . I did not pay much attention to turning the planter but I did move it into shadier areas to reduce the amount of direct sunlight .

Offlinerudeshroomer
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #18815348 - 09/08/13 01:56 PM (10 years, 6 months ago)

Hey y'all.  I'm new here. Is it to late to find p. Ovoids in eastern Va.?

Offlineghiajake
Myco-Viking
Male

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: rudeshroomer]
    #21224510 - 02/04/15 05:39 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

So even thought it's been 513 days since the last post here, it's my thread so :P. I finally got back around to my quest of expanding the species' natural habitat. Got chips soaking now to spawn with this bag of P. ovoid spawn that's been consolidating for a few months. Look at the rhizo growing up the left side of the bag!

Offlinemcsuperd
Stranger

#21224586 - 02/04/15 06:33 AM (9 years, 1 month ago)

I'd love to see your progress. Isn't spreading spores onto grass fields cows/buffalo feed on an easier way?

Offliner00tuuu123
Now I'm just really piseed
 User Gallery

Loc: I'll be there in a minute
Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: mcsuperd]
    #21352602 - 03/02/15 04:05 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

mcsuperd said:
I'd love to see your progress. Isn't spreading spores onto grass fields cows/buffalo feed on an easier way?

Ovoids are wood lovers So unless those cows are pooping on decaying logs then :uhno:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

Re: Mother Nature's Helper - Westward Propagation of P. Ovoids [Re: r00tuuu123]
    #21352630 - 03/02/15 04:13 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

OP I just obtained an ovoid print and put it to agar a week ago and am just seeing myc on one of my plates (print was 6 years old). It's probably going to be a week till I can do some transfers Would you go to grains or sawdust I have both or should I try both? Or even mix some as well?:shrug:

--------------------
:kingcrankey: Please report me to a Mod for hurting your punk ass hippie feelings :flipthebird: And all time Champion thread killer.:thatsayes:

Offlinemcsuperd
Stranger

#21353938 - 03/02/15 09:09 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

Hmm so I plan to spread GT spores onto grass fields where cows eat, that's ok?

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#21353978 - 03/02/15 09:16 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

mcsuperd said:
Hmm so I plan to spread GT spores onto grass fields where cows eat, that's ok?

No that's fine but this thread is about Ovoids.

--------------------

Offlinemcsuperd
Stranger

#21354453 - 03/02/15 11:17 PM (9 years, 28 days ago)

Heh OK :smile: I may need to find this Ovoid to help with propagation where I live hehe

Offliner00tuuu123
 User Gallery

#21354869 - 03/03/15 03:36 AM (9 years, 28 days ago)

Quote:

mcsuperd said:
Heh OK :smile: I may need to find this Ovoid to help with propagation where I live hehe

:notsureif: And WTF is that pic in your avatar? A furball your cat yaked up?

--------------------

Edited by r00tuuu123 (03/03/15 03:39 AM)

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Injection Grain Bag