Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Don't trust UV lights for lab sterilization [Re: OICU812]
    #18779342 - 08/30/13 09:29 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Hot glue works great and sets in a minute.

You also might want to update your OP or thread title to reflect the fact that your troubles were due to a perforated HEPA filter rather than some problem with the UV.

-FF

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTerry M
Stranger in a Strange Land
Male

Loc: Rhode Island
Re: Don't trust UV lights for lab sterilization [Re: fastfred]
    #18781782 - 08/31/13 03:52 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

It's not a compromised filter after all. What I thought was a pinprick on the left side was actually a small black particle of something. It came right off with a tiny artist's brush. While there are 3 or so small punctures (which I will seal up with silicone) on the right side at the fixable smashed spot, the most contamination was on the left side.

I've gone over and over the left half of the filter with a strong light, and can find no other problems. Some corrugations were slightly bent, which I fixed with jeweler's needle-nose pliers.

Waiting for another round of non-inoculated agar plates to show something.

:banghead:  :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

--------------------
Liberté, égalité, humidité.

OfflineAmanita virosa
botanist by day
Male User Gallery

Loc: north kakalacky
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Don't trust UV lights for lab sterilization [Re: Terry M]
    #18783228 - 08/31/13 09:47 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Depending on the angle and shape if the tear it is conceivable that it could be throwing particles at an angle rather than straight out. Just a thought.

OfflineTwinEclipse
Psychedelic Alchemist
Male User Gallery

Loc: NGC1097
Re: Don't trust UV lights for lab sterilization [Re: Amanita virosa]
    #18785011 - 09/01/13 11:56 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I don't trust uv lights either. When I get loaner goggles in lab when I forget to bring them, I disinfect first before using, even though they were treated under uv light

--------------------
My purpose: to love, to share, and to experience....all while conforming to my psychedelic experiences.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Don't trust UV lights for lab sterilization [Re: TwinEclipse]
    #18792296 - 09/02/13 09:51 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

TwinEclipse said:
I don't trust uv lights either.

You can *trust* UV light to destroy DNA/RNA, and that it will kill all living things that get enough exposure *to their DNA*.

Other than that, you can't rely on it to do anything more.  Despite it's limitations, you can be assured that it kills an incredible amount of contams.  So don't blame the UV when it is only 95% effective and the remaining 5% gives you a 90% contamination rate.  It's only one part of the many point overall contam reduction plan.

-FF

--------------------
It drinks the alcohol and abstains from the weed or else it gets the hose again. -Chemy

The difference between the substances doesn't matter. This is a war on consciousness, on our right to the very essence of what we are. With no control over that, we have no need to speak of freedom or a free society. -fireseed

"If we are going to have a war on marijuana, the least we can do is pull the sick and the dying off the battlefield." -Neal Levine (MPP)

I find the whole "my drug should be legal but yours should be illegal" mindset disgusting and hypocritical. It's what George Bush and company do when they drink a cocktail and debate the best way to imprison marijuana users. -Diploid

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]