Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Loc: WV
disadvantages of microwaving?
    #1868114 - 08/31/03 01:11 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I was wondering what disadvantages there are to just microwaving the PF jars for 10 mins instead of PCing or boiling for an hour... Anyone had any contam problems with microwaving for 10 mins?
~MC

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
Re: disadvantages of microwaving? [Re: mattch1]
    #1868130 - 08/31/03 01:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The microwave is great for sterilizing casing mixtures. I've read mixed results when used to sterilize substrates.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Anonymous

#1868131 - 08/31/03 01:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

your jars will almost certainly contam if you do that.

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: disadvantages of microwaving? [Re: ]
    #1868179 - 08/31/03 01:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

microwaving alone doesn't work very well .
but this works . Grain without pressure cooker Tec

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
    #1868194 - 08/31/03 01:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

IME the disadvantages are ;

1- there's no recipe or TEK telling you how long you have to sterilize what (PF jar, substrate, casing, e.t.c.)....

Sollution; try...try...and try.....

2- it dries the substrate out more then PCing...

Sollution; Put some more water... :smile:

I tried microwave for HoneyWater, Poo+Straw Substrate, Casings and even grain substrate with great success....... I don't do cakes, so i've never tried nuking them..... :smile: But i've read some posts here mentioning that can be done.... You have to try and risk some of your cakes maybe till someone posts a recipe for it. :grin:
Since the wave lenghts of the microwaves are different, there must be a recipe including the time and wave lenghts to nuke for.... (Like 15psi for 60 min.) I'm working on it but takes time.... Hope this helps.... :smile:

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Loc: WV
    #1868197 - 08/31/03 01:35 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

microwaves have the advantage of heating the entire inside thoroughly. That means that the outside does not have to heat up before the inside heats up. Also, i dunno if uve ever heard about it, but microwaving can cause water to superheat, which means that it will get much, much hotter than 100 C, or its boiling point. Although in a PF jar, the water would almost certainly not superheat, this just shows that ALOT of energy will be distributed thru every part of the entire jar, inside and out. And it will definately reach the same temp. as boiling, if not higher. Im sure it will work, plus it takes less time, and is easier.... just wondering why its not more popular....

and, DOG, the reason to sterilize casing material and substate material is the same: eliminating contams. So if it eliminated contams in a casing material, it will also eliminate contams in a substrate material.... no?

~MC

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

Invisibledog
straw dog

Loc: Route 66
    #1868230 - 08/31/03 01:47 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

it will also eliminate contams in a substrate material.... no?

Casing mixtures are void (or nearly so) of nutrients. Substrates are nutrient rich and harbor a much larger number and variety of contaminants.

--------------------

Fascism (fash'izem) n. A governmental system marked by a centralized dictatorship, stringent socioeconomic controls, and often belligerent nationalism. see also: the Bush Administration.

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
Re: disadvantages of microwaving? [Re: dog]
    #1868297 - 08/31/03 02:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

deanofmean said:
microwaving alone doesn't work very well .
but this works . Grain without pressure cooker Tec

I don't want to mean to disagree with any of you experienced users.... I just want to share what i've been through... I tried different times, different wavelenghts for rye...(didn't try any other grain type... 24 hrs presoaked, boiled and drained rye berries) I lost some of my jars during this period to contams... But what worked for me is; i nuked a 1lt jar (3/4 full with grain) for 4 min. at the highest level. (don't know the wave lenght yet, i'm still looking for the manual of the MW) wait 3-5 mins and nuke for 4 min. again.... Wait 5 min. and nuke for 5 min..... repeat this 5min.-5min. cycle 2-3 more times.... (waiting period after 3rd 5 min. nuking period can be 7-10 min.s, i'm not pretty sure what i did.... Just let it cool down a little bit without taking out of the MW so that the grains won't explode) You just have to leave a little bit more water inside the jar... (BTW i place a coffee filter over the jar and attach it using plaster while in MW... And sterilize the lid with rubbing alcohol before putting on....)

It worked for me....But i don't advice it for now till i get stabile results....

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Invisibledeanofmean
mycophagous

Loc: PNW
Re: disadvantages of microwaving? [Re: ph_plus]
    #1868410 - 08/31/03 03:00 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

cool man ,
glade to hear it's workin' for ya .
i have this puny little 700w micro, so that's a limiting factor for me .can't fit any larger then pint jars in it .
also i find my recipe needs adjusting according to the type of grain, birdaeed, popcorn, ect .
rye berries has been the hardest for me .(getting the water content right).
keep on experimenting . :smile: 

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Pressure Cooker, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation