Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebalingupmadness
recreationalchemicalconsultant

Loc: western Australia
growing Ps Australiana
    #1832191 - 08/20/03 01:52 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I am trying to find a suitable substrate for outdoor bed cultivation of Ps Australiana (Balingup strain) the dominant tree species around here (Perth) are Eucalypts, and i am told that these trees are not the best because of their oil content. i am wondering if pinus radiata chips are suitable for outdoor bed preperation. anyone out there have any ideas.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
Re: growing Ps Australiana [Re: balingupmadness]
    #1835862 - 08/21/03 12:02 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Firstly Ps.australia isnt actually a species - common misconception - as it is actually synonymous with Ps.subaeruginosa.
They fruit well off most wood chips - but eucalypta works much better than pine wood chips - try a eucalypta based substrate covered with old pine-bark chips.

--------------------

Offlinebalingupmadness

thanks mr blue meanie re Ps australiana (subaeriginosa) [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1838811 - 08/21/03 08:32 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

mate thanks for the response if what you are saying is correct then my friend of a friend should be able to use Jarrah woodchips.for the outdoor bed would this be best innoculated with jarrah sawdust spawn, grain, colonized woodchips or a combination the above. i have read that it is quite difficult to isolate a fruiting strain from a spore print of this species. my friend of a friend reckons that they know someone who has heard about someone who may have isolated several pure strains with unknown fruiting potential.is there any way of testing the fruiting potential of this species before outdoor bed experimentation or is it a case of have a go with them all seperatley and wait wait wait. Has anyone tried lining the base of the outdoor bed with plastic or paper or something similar so as too reduce water loss during summer and to eliminate the threat from below of termite attack.

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
Re: thanks mr blue meanie re Ps australiana (subaeriginosa) [Re: balingupmadness]
    #1839028 - 08/21/03 09:45 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

This particular variant from balingup is not as adaptable as some of the east coast strains.
The species it seems to grow on down south is Eucalyptus rudis (flooded gum)
and also it seems to have adapted to Pinus radiata but it really seems much more at home on the Eucalyptus debris

Certain books and numerous web sources say that conifers and eucalyptus are not good substrates for mushrooms due to their oil content. This is true only to limited extent as many species adapt readily and the variation can ofetn to be greater within species than between.

Eucalyptus supports shimeji, shiitake, Pleurotus, Ganoderma lucidum and Enoki fruitings as sawdust with a bran supplement (actually a proportion of chips, sawdust and bran of eucalyptus)
P subaeruginosa also does well on the same mix.

My recommendation with this species is to clone a wild specimen (easy - put the stubs on moist cardboard in a ziplock bag and let them resprout) - then isolate yourself a nice clean culture on peroxide agar and use a sterilsed mix of recycled newspaper pellets (cat litter section of the supermarket) supplemented with 5 to 10% bran to grow out spawn. It will grow through that moderately fast and be ready for use as spawn outdoors. The benefit of this sapwn material is that ist is MUCH less likely to conatimnate if you are a newbie as its is much more selective. sometimes weven if it does contam the mushroom still overpowers the contam as it is much better at utilising the foodsource (paper)

The best way of going to the next stage is not something i know too much about... maybe Bluemeanie can help us out again..

Offlinebalingupmadness

mycena you champ [Re: Mycena]
    #1844484 - 08/23/03 10:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for the info mate , ill let my friend know so that he can tell his friend to pass the message on to the person who needs it. i thint that he should be able to get some of the original myceliam from the wildones and continue the expansion of this wonderfull gift of nature.it seems that we only have this one type in WA or at least this is the only type that has been discovered. if only Mr plod did not block of the roads around balingup at that time of year then there could be joy 4 everyone. apparently it grows in the pine forest down there but i am not sure what species of pine it is also apparenly the mix of cows,pines and climate is the key.

Edited by balingupmadness (08/25/03 06:16 AM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: mycena you champ [Re: balingupmadness]
    #1867586 - 08/31/03 01:45 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Once you have colonised your spawn medium - mine was a simple sterile mix of pine bark, vermiculite and a touch of brown rice to speed things up, i pasterised a bag of eucalypta and pine bark mulch from a location i knew supported fruiting in the wild, then added my spawn jar to this bag, sealed and then watered when needed. Colonised fully in as little as four weeks. in late feb i got an old food tray, placed about twenty holes in its bottom, then spread out the colonised baggie in that after a quick wipe with alcohol.
over this i placed a small layer of damp verm and then half an inch of pine bark mulch, then i placed this in holes in the garden where pine bark was shaded below plants and covered it over completely with pine bark. Watered daily until it began to cool in April.
Fruited late april. (Five isolates, one fruited well, two fruited poorly, one only fruited with two specimens and the last did not fruit at all).
The key is a well shaded place and lots of mulch covering the spot. I worked well for azurescens and cyanescens as well - bohemica didnt work out that well, and baeocystis failed completely.

--------------------

Offlinebalingupmadness

sounds like a plan [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1867801 - 08/31/03 05:39 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

cheers that souns like a plan is lime pasteurisation any good as thats my usual method for bulk substrates (oysters) . can sterilise small amounts of medium in pressure cooker .

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
Re: growing Ps Australiana [Re: balingupmadness]
    #1874476 - 09/02/03 02:47 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Heres some photos i was sent of subs on a mix of Eucalypt sawdust, pine shavings and eucalypt chips all spawned with millet from a contaminated cake and only 1 week old. All chips and sawdust were simmerred for 10 min and drained twice before use to reduce the amounts of any inhibitory substances. This is my usual tek before i sterilise for edibles, my friend here has a dapted it it seems to have pine shavings in it as well.
I think these are going to be going outdoors.
I dont use pine shavings with the edibles but it looks like this species doesnt mind pine at all.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: growing Ps Australiana [Re: Mycena]
    #1884449 - 09/05/03 08:51 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

It loves the pine! Prefers it sometimes even!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags