Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Help
    #1866777 - 08/30/03 07:28 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Hey, I have 3 total computers in my house, all of which are networked to share a printer and the cable modem. the computer i recently put in my bedroom is my oldest one. It is not very fast at all and is really a pain in the ass, I've pretty much cleared the hard drive of all the bullshit, but id like to increse the general operating speed...I dont know to much about stuff like this so any suggestions...? If its sometihing I can buy thats fine, its just unbearably slow compared to my other comps. thanks.

--------------------
:stash: + :bong: = :smile:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: Help [Re: DellComputers]
    #1866780 - 08/30/03 07:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

oh and sorry for asking such a stupid question, but i dont know anyone that knows about this stuff.

--------------------

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#1867012 - 08/30/03 09:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

you really gave no specifics about your computer, so there's not much advice anyone can offer. Except, buy a new one.

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: Help [Re: djfrog]
    #1867093 - 08/30/03 10:10 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

idk its a shitty old packard bell with 200 mhz. will buying more memory speed that shit up or what?
sorry for bein vague, though.

--------------------

Invisiblewingnutx

#1867157 - 08/30/03 10:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Adding memory is the single best thing you can do to speed that fucker up.

Defrag the hell out of your hard rive, and keep it reasonably defragged.

Don't let a lot of stuff run in the background.

If you want to spend money on anything besides RAM, you can get a faster hard drive with 8mb cache.

What OS are you using?

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: Help [Re: wingnutx]
    #1867170 - 08/30/03 10:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

its a Packard Bell Multimedia R515 running windows 98 with 32 MB standard memory according to a website that selse memory upgrades, it also says max memory is 128 MB

how much is a hard drive compared to RAM?

--------------------

Invisiblewingnutx

#1867370 - 08/30/03 11:44 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

RAM is pretty cheap. You can buy it online from tigerdirect or outpost.com

Max that fucker out with the RAM.

I'm sorry you have a Packard Bell :frown:

Hard drive would be a little more expensive than RAM, and RAM will give better results, goign from 32 to 128 meg.

defrag that hard drive!

:smile:

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: Help [Re: wingnutx]
    #1867912 - 08/31/03 09:06 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

ooh aright, thanks a lot. i defraged it last night and im gonna buy some RAM, its only like 70 bukcs to max it out. thanks.

--------------------

OfflineMAIA
World-BridgerKartikeya (DftS)
Male User Gallery

Loc: Erra - 20 Tauri - M45 Sta...
    #1870910 - 09/01/03 11:04 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Reinstalling the OS is always a good option. If you don't want to do so, besides the given hints, you can uninstall unneeded software too.

MAIA

--------------------
Spiritual being, living a human experience ... The Shroomery Mandala

Use, do not abuse; neither abstinence nor excess ever renders man happy.
Voltaire

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: Help [Re: MAIA]
    #1870934 - 09/01/03 11:13 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

yeah i decided ill only be using this comp. for some web browsing and AIM. so i got rid of all unneeded software,and cookies and shit. I also defraged the hard drive the other night and ill be buying about 70$ worth of memory which will triple the MB it has now. thanks for the help man.

--------------------

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: More Help! [Re: DellComputers]
    #1874059 - 09/02/03 12:37 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

OK. I went to buy some RAM and the site says the multimedia R515 has max memory of 128 MB. Is MB the memory? I have 2 GB's on this computer. 1.66GB free space. If I'm an idiot and they have nothing to do with each other and I should just buy memory to reach 128MB lemme know. But I always thought MB was like 1/1000 of a GB or somthing like that so idk what there tlaking about.

Sorry again for asking quesitons like this but I dont wanna wast my $. Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1874151 - 09/02/03 01:11 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

MB is a unit of measure called a MegaByte. GB is another unit of measure called a GigaByte. KB is another unit of measure called a KiloByte. Sometimes the B is dropped and you will see a number like 128M, meaning 128 megabytes.

1 byte (sometimes 2) = 1 character
1024 bytes = 1 KB
1024 KB = 1 MB
1024 MB = 1 GB

RAM = random access memory. It holds the information that your computer is using while it is turned on. When you turn off your computer, anything left in RAM is lost forever. Most modern computers have at least 128MB of RAM. The more RAM you can put into your machine, the better it will perform.

Your computer also has a Hard Drive in it (typically). A hard drive (HD) is used to store information while the computer is off. When you save something to 'My Documents' or 'Save to disk', the HD is where it is going. A hard drive is much slower than RAM, but it can hold a lot more and is cheaper. Most modern hard drives are measured in multiples of GigaBytes. Older drives are in the 2GB range while newer drives are in the 40GB all the way up to 120GB (and beyond!).

It sounds like you are speaking about two different things.

1) your motherboard can handle up to 128MB of RAM
2) your hard drive is 2GB with 1.6GB free.

To make things even worse, you have to be real careful reading the documentation on the the max memory the motherboard supports. Is the number given TOTAL memory the motherboard can handle or MAX memory that a single memory slot can handle.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #1874173 - 09/02/03 01:16 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

DellComputers said:
OK. I went to buy some RAM and the site says the multimedia R515 has max memory of 128 MB. Is MB the memory? I have 2 GB's on this computer. 1.66GB free space. If I'm an idiot and they have nothing to do with each other and I should just buy memory to reach 128MB lemme know. But I always thought MB was like 1/1000 of a GB or somthing like that so idk what there tlaking about.

Sorry again for asking quesitons like this but I dont wanna wast my $. Thanks.

Memory is ram. The 2gigs you're talking about is the hard drive. They are two different things.

Don't waste your money, nothing will really help that old of a system. But if you're going to, buy another 96 mb worth. As the modules do not come in that size you'll need to get another 32 and a 64 MB module.

First make sure you have two slots available to use.

In a pinch if you have only one slot open, take out the 32 you have now and just install a 128.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: More Help! [Re: Seuss]
    #1874191 - 09/02/03 01:21 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I see.Thanks a lot for typin that all out,I didnt know any of that. http://4allmemory.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...;model_id=-1027 thats the page I'm getting this info from. It says
Standard Memory: 32MB
Maximum Memory:128MB

So im assuming thats max as in total.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1874197 - 09/02/03 01:22 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

OOPS!

Just looked up the info. You have only TWO slots. You may have one of the OLDER systems where the modules have to be installed in pairs. Look in your case and see if there are two modules. If so, to be safe, remove those and put in two 64 MB modules. (I still wouldn't waste the money) Your manual should have this info.

Memory Specs
Standard Memory: 32 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 128 MB
Memory Expansion: 2 sockets

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

Re: More Help! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1874205 - 09/02/03 01:24 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I have 2 slots available. Thats the plan, to buy the 64MB and a 32MB. What about purchasing a better harddrive? Which would you suggest as the better option pricewise and performancewise?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1874211 - 09/02/03 01:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Which would you suggest as the better option pricewise and performancewise?

I suggest you do nothing. A 200mhz system isn't worth spending money on. As it's one of three comps, save your cash.

--------------------

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

#1874217 - 09/02/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
OOPS!

Just looked up the info. You have only TWO slots. You may have one of the OLDER systems where the modules have to be installed in pairs. Look in your case and see if there are two modules. If so, to be safe, remove those and put in two 64 MB modules. (I still wouldn't waste the money) Your manual should have this info.

Memory Specs
Standard Memory: 32 MB (removable)
Maximum Memory: 128 MB
Memory Expansion: 2 sockets

Woah,what? I know I have 2 empty sockets available....the larger black ones,right? I know this because I just put a LAN card in this comp.

--------------------

OfflineDellComputers
Bluntman

#1874226 - 09/02/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
Quote:

Which would you suggest as the better option pricewise and performancewise?

I suggest you do nothing. A 200mhz system isn't worth spending money on. As it's one of three comps, save your cash. 

lol ok well lets say I am definetly going to upgrade this as much as possible cuz either way its cheaper than a new computer :smile:

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1874228 - 09/02/03 01:30 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

No, the slot you put the lan card in is either a pci or an isa slot. Not the same. Do you have a book for your system?

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale