Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflinenewAK
Loc: Alaska
Needing an ID
    #1866564 - 08/30/03 05:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomben2003
Shroomer

Loc: Some Shroom Pasture
Re: Needing an ID [Re: newAK]
    #1866601 - 08/30/03 05:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Sry, I don't think their cyans. I found TONS and I mean TONS of those growing on woodclippings near my neighbors chicken coop. I'd be interested to find out what they are too. :shocked:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1866659 - 08/30/03 06:25 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm pretty sure they're some kind of Psathyrella.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1866670 - 08/30/03 06:29 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

If I needed to put a name to those I'd probably call them Psathyrella candolleana. They occasionally fruit in huge numbers here in Colorado (when they get enough water).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #1866676 - 08/30/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

why did you think you had psilocybe cyanasens?

OfflinenewAK
Re: Needing an ID [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1866689 - 08/30/03 06:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well the spore print seems right.The color and shape of the cap resembles pictures that I have of them. I know that there are color variations and these seem a bit light but I have pics of light colored ones. The habitat I found them works. And I have been looking for a while with no results so I am just being optimistic I guess. I haven't seen ones like this before around here so I don't know.I will look at Psathyrella candolleana and other Psathyrella's so I can compare the species to others that have sprung up here in the last day or so that are new and similar to the pics above. I figure that the ones I can eliminate from my I want to find list as wrong will help me find the right ones.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
    #1866761 - 08/30/03 07:17 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

for psilocybe cyanasens, you would have to live in the pacific northwest or northeastern europe, the entire mushroom would turn deep blue instantly anywhere you touched it. also, it would grow around late october.

OfflinenewAK
    #1866783 - 08/30/03 07:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ok I looked into the Psathyrella candolleana.My caps are different from the pics of Psath. can that I found and it is not fragile but rather stout. The spore print for the Psath. can is said to be a dark brown almost brillant. The spore print on mine is not. Mine have a purplish tint to them but are brown. There is no remnants of a veil on the young ones. The stem is thick on mine and enlarged at the base and sturdy. These are the differences I noticed.

OfflinenewAK
    #1866801 - 08/30/03 07:38 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I thought that blueing in them would not always be so evident. I live in south central Alaska. Late October would have snow on the ground or at least freezing temps. We have a very short 3 months of summer and maybe 2 weeks of fall.

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1866853 - 08/30/03 08:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Psilocybe cyanescens will *always* briuse blue. After all, the literal traslation of cyanescens means "becoming blue" or something along those lines.

OfflinenewAK
Re: Needing an ID [Re: Gumby]
    #1866887 - 08/30/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Well back to the hunt! Thanks again. :smile:

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1868150 - 08/31/03 11:21 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm going to guess that you looked at the photos at MykoWeb. They're nice photos, but Psathyrella candolleana is an extremely variable species. Variable enough that I'll bet it gets split into a pile of species when the molecular biologists finish with it.

This site has photos which show some of the range of appearance of specimens. The ones they have a MykoWeb are stockier than almost any I've ever seen.

Matching specimens to photos is not a good way to ID. Waaaay too many people out here seem to rely on that method for identification. Learn to read the text description and figure out the key characteristics of a species and you will have made a big step forward in your ability to identify mushrooms.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflinenewAK
Re: Needing an ID [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1871359 - 09/01/03 02:06 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you TM I did see that photo and they sure look like the ones I found. I am finding those all over now and they do have alot of variations. The description of them being so fragile I guess is what threw me off though. Every description I read on them says that you'd be lucky to keep them in one piece. Mine were not fragile at all. I do always take a spore print of the mushrooms I find and I'm getting quite a collection of them to compare colors. I feel that with everyones help here and advice that I am becomeing alot better at mushroom identifying. There are probly 10 I id for every one that I post for help on. You guys provide the best help out there! Keep it up! :thumbup: 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
1,520 topic views. 2 members, 15 guests and 8 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2024 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 12 queries.