Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMaJiK_420
...lost
Male User Gallery

Landscaping mulch suitable as substrate?
    #18665281 - 08/05/13 08:35 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I have about two cubic yards of some brown wood mulch for landscaping that I originally got to do some landscaping, but lost interest in the project. I got the mulch for free; leftover from a job and the dump and shop were across town so I got the ok to dump it at my place around the corner to save time.

I just started a compost pile using some of it, but I have no clue what I am really gonna do with the rest, unless I get back to my landscaping ideas somewhere down the road.

But I figured there are some wood loving species out there, and although I don't know what kind of wood it is.... maybe somebody has a suggestion or experience to share on this?

Basically looks like this, but mine is a little dirtier with some topsoil that got mixed in, not much though.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemaddchef
Vaginal escape artist
 User Gallery

Loc: Your mom's vag
Re: Landscaping mulch suitable as substrate? [Re: MaJiK_420]
    #18665287 - 08/05/13 08:37 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

I'm not sure but I believe commercial mulch has antifungals added to it.

--------------------
In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

All mushrooms are edible, but some only once.....                     

Easier than cakes

I do science and shit.

:havesomescience:

OfflineMaJiK_420
...lost
Male User Gallery

Re: Landscaping mulch suitable as substrate? [Re: maddchef]
    #18665374 - 08/05/13 09:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

maddchef said:
I'm not sure but I believe commercial mulch has antifungals added to it.

If that is the case... can an anti-fungal be neutralized by pasteurizing?

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Landscaping mulch suitable as substrate? [Re: maddchef]
    #18665376 - 08/05/13 09:00 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Ive used compost before. It had some chunks in it, but it worked fine. IMO its a better substrate than straight verm.

I used to have some links to YouTube videos with mushies grown on straight compost. They've since been hidden, and I dont have access anymore. But the cubes grown in the video were absolute fucking monsters. Though the total yield was a bit on the low side for weight.

My grows showed results that were about average. Though it will work.

OfflineMaJiK_420
...lost
Male User Gallery

Re: Landscaping mulch suitable as substrate? [Re: wildernessjunkie]
    #18665397 - 08/05/13 09:07 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

wildernessjunkie said:
Ive used compost before. It had some chunks in it, but it worked fine. IMO its a better substrate than straight verm.

I used to have some links to YouTube videos with mushies grown on straight compost. They've since been hidden, and I dont have access anymore. But the cubes grown in the video were absolute fucking monsters. Though the total yield was a bit on the low side for weight.

My grows showed results that were about average. Though it will work.

I should clarify.
I have a compost pile going that will probably be used for mushies and plants later, but I literally just started it.

My question was more on the wood mulch itself being used, not the compost, well not yet anyway. I only used a small fraction of the wood mulch to start my compost pile, and I still have a big pile of wood mulch that will last me forever.

I was thinking more along the lines of pasteurizing the wood mulch and then trying to use it as a bulk substrate. Or well, All I know is cubes, but I would love to learn to grow another species, even non psychedelic - edibles or exotics - basically if there is any way I can use the wood mulch to grow any kind of mushroom.

I'll worry about trying to use the compost next year, but thanks for the tip anyway.

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Landscaping mulch suitable as substrate? [Re: MaJiK_420]
    #18665401 - 08/05/13 09:09 PM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Oysters would eat the hell out of it. Oysters eat damn near anything.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate