Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Loc: 613 Flag
Re: King Shepherds - 140lbs of fucking dog [Re: OldHam]
    #18657916 - 08/04/13 09:17 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OldHam said:
Is it just me or do bigger dogs just seem to be dumb as shit? :sad: Almost like little dogs are...
Friend had a saint bernard, and that fucking thing was a slobbery retarded fucking dog. Serious.
An uncle had ...I dunno what.. a sheepdog? "bear'? That fucking thing was a menace. Untrainable.

I think part of it is that people put less effort into training certain dogs. A lot of people with small dogs don't train them not to act like assholes because they figure they don't have to. My neighbor has a mini pinscher that acts like a total asshole, if a full sized doberman got loose and acted that way then people would be calling the cops. With a giant dog I guess people often put off training it and then give up once it's so big it can overpower them (like that comic Marmaduke.)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMaverick
Lover of Earwigs!
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Valleys of Willamette Flag
Re: King Shepherds - 140lbs of fucking dog [Re: Doctor Sponge]
    #18657923 - 08/04/13 09:19 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, looking at the hips on those King Shepards, looks like they have hip problems.  They have a relatively short lifespan too, 10-11 years.

InvisibleOldHam
 User Gallery

Re: King Shepherds - 140lbs of fucking dog [Re: psi]
    #18657949 - 08/04/13 09:27 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psi said:
Quote:

OldHam said:
Is it just me or do bigger dogs just seem to be dumb as shit? :sad: Almost like little dogs are...
Friend had a saint bernard, and that fucking thing was a slobbery retarded fucking dog. Serious.
An uncle had ...I dunno what.. a sheepdog? "bear'? That fucking thing was a menace. Untrainable.

I think part of it is that people put less effort into training certain dogs. A lot of people with small dogs don't train them not to act like assholes because they figure they don't have to. My neighbor has a mini pinscher that acts like a total asshole, if a full sized doberman got loose and acted that way then people would be calling the cops. With a giant dog I guess people often put off training it and then give up once it's so big it can overpower them (like that comic Marmaduke.)

Yeeah I don't think that's it. :tongue:
Not all dogs are created equal.

Some dogs are easier to train, have a bigger brain, or were just bred to take commands.
I'm thinking of most 'work dogs'.  Australian cattle dogs, for instance, are a *delight* to train.

You never see a chihuahua / st bernard as a seeing eye dog, you know?

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

#18657955 - 08/04/13 09:29 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yes, some dogs are easier to train. But what I said is also true, some dogs just don't get trained at all.

InvisibleOldHam
 User Gallery

#18657958 - 08/04/13 09:31 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

KInda beside the point in a thread about what breed OP should spend 3k on...

--------------------
The Shallows, Chapter 7, Nicholas Carr

Edited by OldHam (08/04/13 10:01 AM)

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

#18657976 - 08/04/13 09:38 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

You claimed that big dogs all seemed stupid, and I offered an alternate explanation (lack of training.) A big German shepherd is probably of similar intelligence to a normal German shepherd I would think. Big dogs come from all different backgrounds so it doesn't make sense to assume they will all have comparable intelligence/trainability to other random unrelated big dogs.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Re: King Shepherds - 140lbs of fucking dog [Re: Maverick]
    #18657977 - 08/04/13 09:38 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Maverick said:
Yeah, looking at the hips on those King Shepards, looks like they have hip problems.  They have a relatively short lifespan too, 10-11 years.

Most big dogs are more prone to hip dysplasia.  You just have to find a good breeder with good bloodlines.  The King Shepherd is definitely a sweet dog!

InvisibleOldHam
 User Gallery

#18658038 - 08/04/13 09:55 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psi said:
You claimed that big dogs all seemed stupid, and I offered an alternate explanation (lack of training.) A big German shepherd is probably of similar intelligence to a normal German shepherd I would think. Big dogs come from all different backgrounds so it doesn't make sense to assume they will all have comparable intelligence/trainability to other random unrelated big dogs.

No.

I said that bigger dog breeds, like very small breeds, do not seem to be as intelligent.

Breeds. Not size within breeds.

Do some research...

Quote:

#10 Dumbest: The Basset Hound may be so sad-eyed because it was ranked the tenth least intelligent dog breed.

#10 Smartest: The immensely trainable Australian Cattle Dog was called the tenth smartest breed. :thumbup:

#9 Dumbest: Don't tell the Westminster Kennel Club, but Uno, the beagle who won their 131st annual dog show, belongs to the ninth least intelligent dog breed.

4 of 20 : #9 Smartest: The Rottweiler was called the ninth smartest breed. This one looks a tad surprised by the ranking.

#8 Dumbest: This Mastiff hangs its head in shame over being ranked the eighth least intelligent dog breed.

#8 Smartest: The Papillon, ranked eighth smartest, floats like a butterfly and knows its ABC's.

#7 Dumbest: The Pekingese is more famous for its "dustmop" look when groomed correctly. This one must be getting a haircut to avoid being associated with the seventh stupidest dog breed.

#7 Smartest: The most popular dog breed in the nation is also the seventh smartest: the Labrador Retriever.

#6 Dumbest: We know the Bloodhound has a brain somewhere beneath all those lovable wrinkles, but the "Early Show" rankings had them pulling sixth among the dumbest breeds.

#6 Smartest: The Shetland Sheepdog's agility, as shown here, helped it rank sixth smartest.

#5 Dumbest: Borzois are considered the fifth least intelligent dogs.

#5 Smartest: The Doberman Pinscher's intelligence is on full display here on a rescue mission.

#4 Dumbest: This Chow Chow can live with being considered the fourth least intelligent breed, so long as you keep its hair nice and fluffy.

#4 Smartest: Golden Retrievers were fourth on the list of smart dogs.

#3 Dumbest: The Bulldog was rated the third stupidest dog breed.

#3 Smartest: Loyal workhorses, the German Shepherds were ranked as the third smartest breed.

#2 Dumbest: The Basenji is considered the second least intelligent dog breed, but hey, it could be worse.

#2 Smartest: Love 'em or hate 'em, Poodles were ranked as the second smartest dog breed out there.

#1 Dumbest: Stylish and mysteriously ancient, the Afghan Hound nonetheless merits the dubious honor of being ranked the single least intelligent dog breed.

#1 Smartest: The Border Collie was ranked the single smartest dog breed.

You never see chihuahuas or st bernards at obedience trials. Nevvverrrrr.... :elmo:

InvisibleOldHam
 User Gallery

#18658079 - 08/04/13 10:09 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

WORLD'S MOST OBEDIENT DOG

Guess what kinda dog that is....:awedance:

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

#18658080 - 08/04/13 10:09 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OldHam said:
I said that bigger dog breeds, like very small breeds, do not seem to be as intelligent.

Quote:

4 of 20 : #9 Smartest: The Rottweiler was called the ninth smartest breed. This one looks a tad surprised by the ranking.

Weird, I always thought of Rottweilers as being a "bigger dog breed."

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#18658081 - 08/04/13 10:11 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yup - you beat me to it, but I was going to say that his own article does not agree with his argument.

InvisibleOldHam
 User Gallery

#18658084 - 08/04/13 10:13 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah okay you're right, breed has nothing to do with intelligence. :facepalm:

How many dog shows have you been to? Ever seen a st bernard? No. Hmm...

How about a chihuahua? Really? You dont say.

--------------------

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

#18658094 - 08/04/13 10:17 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Rottweiler
Nicknames Rott
Rottie
Country of origin Germany

Weight Male 50–60 kg (110–130 lb)
Female 35–48 kg (77–110 lb)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler

They only grow to 130 lbs apparently, I guess they aren't quite a "bigger dog breed" in your view (by 10 pounds.)

InvisibleMush 4 Brains
about tree fiddy
Male User Gallery

Loc: Tacos
Re: King Shepherds - 140lbs of fucking dog [Re: indica]
    #18658097 - 08/04/13 10:18 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

My buddy had a giant shepherd that just passed away, Sammy.  I'm not sure if it was a king shepherd but I wouldn't be surprised if it was, it probably weighed somewhere around 140lb.

The dog was fucking huge, and very people friendly.  It had it's own bed which was a twin size, and they regularly fed it egg sandwiches in the morning.  Very spoiled dog.

I was driving by his place one day with a friend and talking about Sammy.  I'm like "you ought to see this giant ass german shepherd my friend has."  My buddy points out the window,"did it look like that giant over there?"  Sammy was just taking a stroll around the neighborhood by himself.  I walk up to the dog call his name hoping sincerely that he remembered me and didnt see me as a threat.  I grabbed him by the collar and led him back to my buddies house.  Apparently the dog would regularly open up the front door (as well as the screen door) and just go for a walk.

On his door knob there were two dents from where the dogs teeth had been after somebody who wasn't welcome tried opening the door.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

Re: King Shepherds - 140lbs of fucking dog [Re: OldHam] * 1
    #18658099 - 08/04/13 10:19 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OldHam said:
Yeah okay you're right, breed has nothing to do with intelligence. :facepalm:

How many dog shows have you been to? Ever seen a st bernard? No. Hmm...

How about a chihuahua? Really? You dont say.

What are you talking about?  Nobody said that breed was not correlated with intelligence, we said the size of the breed has no correlation with intelligence.

Invisiblepwnasaurus
Stranger

#18658105 - 08/04/13 10:21 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

psi said:
Quote:

Rottweiler
Nicknames Rott
Rottie
Country of origin Germany

Weight Male 50–60 kg (110–130 lb)
Female 35–48 kg (77–110 lb)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rottweiler

They only grow to 130 lbs apparently, I guess they aren't quite a "bigger dog breed" in your view (by 10 pounds.)

Rottweilers can actually grow to 150+ lb.

Invisiblepsi
TOAST N' JAM
Male User Gallery

Re: King Shepherds - 140lbs of fucking dog [Re: pwnasaurus]
    #18658106 - 08/04/13 10:21 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, how about a link that says that King German Shepherds are significantly stupider than regular German Shepherds.

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:Rottweilers can actually grow to 150+ lb.

Fair enough, but yeah obviously it's a bigger dog breed.

InvisibleOldHam
 User Gallery

#18658107 - 08/04/13 10:22 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Have you seen a st bernard as a seeing eye dog?
Have you seen a chihuahua? I rest my case.  :pizza:

--------------------

InvisibleOldHam
 User Gallery

#18658112 - 08/04/13 10:23 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

OldHam said:
WORLD'S MOST OBEDIENT DOG

Guess what kinda dog that is....:awedance:

Quote:

psi said:

Quote:

OldHam said:
Some dog breeds are easier to train, have a bigger brain, or were just bred to take commands.
I'm thinking of most 'work dogs'.  Australian cattle dogs, for instance, are a *delight* to train.

You never see a chihuahua / st bernard as a seeing eye dog, you know?

Quote:

pwnasaurus, mush 4 brainz, psi said: blah blah blah but but but but but whingeeee

Like I really gives a shit. Get a big ol stupid fucking dog if you want.

:ahahaha: Good luck with it...

--------------------

Edited by OldHam (08/04/13 10:29 AM)

Offlineclaraclairvoyant
well oiled machine
 User Gallery

#18658118 - 08/04/13 10:25 AM (10 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

pwnasaurus said:
Quote:

Maverick said:

Most big dogs are more prone to hip dysplasia.  You just have to find a good breeder with good bloodlines.  The King Shepherd is definitely a sweet dog!

we had a german shepard growing up and she had hip problems towards the end of her life. it was pretty sad seeing her struggle getting up the stairs. such a good dog, RIP sheba.

sorry about your dog OP, we had to put my shepard down too.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies