Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMoonsparrow
Psychedelic Explorer

Loc: USA
ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] * 13
    #18657404 - 08/04/13 05:08 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Everything you need to know about growing monotub mushrooms with excellent quality, innovation happens after mastery of these :] With Grace to Shroomery Terms :cool:

Here is a small tek for beginners by me.

1. Gather your items.
- Wild bird seed (No cracked corn, go to Walmart, buy economy mix or Pennington Classic, or bird seed without cracked corn.
- Isopropyl Alcohol 70% (For cleaning your area, like your about to perform SURGERY)
- Disinfectent Spray Kills 99% of germs.
- Paper Towels
- Butane Torch, Lighter, or Alcohol Lamp for Sterilization of Needle
- Bricks of Coco Coir, One brick for each tub (650 Grams)
- Organic Vermiculite, 2 Quarts for Each Tub
- Strainer
- Pressure Cooker
- Wide Mouth Quart Jars
- Syringes for Inoculation
- Stock Pot
- Tyvek Coveralls (Suits you buy from Home Depot, they are 12 Bucks yes SUITS.) for covering jars as a filter.
- Tin Foil (for covering to put onto jars for the pressure cooker.
- Dehydrator (for drying mushrooms)
- Hand Sanitizer
- Clear Large Tote (to make into still air box for inoculation.)
- Disposable Latex Gloves or Nitrile Gloves
- Clean Blow Dryer (if needed, if WBS takes too long to dry)
- 66 Gallon Totes (650 Gram Brick of Coco Coir Per Tote)
- Dust Mask
- 5 Gallon Buckets (with lid) for Substrate Preparation. I suggest 1 bucket per Tote.

(Use 66 Gallon Totes, your yield will be exponentially higher and worth your effort)

Step 2.
Prepare WBS.
-Get your WBS and put it into stock pot. Dunk using Quart jar to make sure you have enough for the amount of jars you are filling, plus a few more due to lost floaters you will lose.
-Fill with water, and keep dunking water and floaters out until water is CLEAR. Make sure the water is clear by the last pour, so you can get rid of gunk and dirt that may contaminate or clunk your WBS.
-Let is soak for 12-24 hours.
- Heat the WBS on medium-high heat until it barely simmers, then DUNK the water out.
- Put HOT WBS into strainer, and then rinse with hot water, but not too hot at this point to clean out the rest.
- Allow to dry until it is dry enough on the OUTSIDE to put on a piece of Toilet Paper for 15 seconds with NO water marks on the Toilet Paper.
- Prepare Jars by cutting Tyvek Coveralls, put the main lid UNDER the Tyvek. and punching holes for gas exchange (very important, because it allows certain gases to filter through to increase colonization.
- You can easily make 1/4" holes in your jars using a HOLE PUNCHER. 2 or 3 holes is fine.
- Use Polyfill or red silicone on one of the holes
- Fill Jars with bird seed and put tin foil on top of jar for Pressure Cooker.
- Fill Pressure Cooker and cook for 90 minutes, then turn off oven until cooled down COMPLETELY.
- Move into Still Air Box, be CLEAN in CLEAN clothes, Take shower, Sterilize everything and absolutely everything until very clean.
- Inoculate Jars while putting needle to side of the jar.
- Prepare Substrate.
- When Jars are fully colonized, pour substrate of coco coir and vermiculate into Monotub, 3/4 of it then pour Jars in, and then add a casing layer of pasteurized substrate you prepared on the top.
- Keep in clean environment, have patience, and yield results.

(This is a basic tek that will highly improve with pictures very soon, in the mean time, check out the rest of my Post for high amounts of information.

:rocket:Here is the TEK's you should follow.:rocket:

1.:mushroom2:How Frank Get's Shit Done - Great quality Monotub Tek. Look below for Ohmatic Monotub, great as well. From user FrankHorrigan

1A.:mushroom2:BOD's Unmodified Monotub TEK - AMAZING use this with How Frank Get's Shit Done.

2.:mushroom2:Damion5050's Elementary Coir Tek - This is a great tek for simple monotub, not much knowledge to learn from this tek though, but great for experience.

3.:mushroom2:Eatyualive's Monotub tek - Great Monotub Tek

4.:mushroom2:Fahster's Monotub Tek - Great Monotub Tek

5.:mushroom2:Ohms's Monotub Tek - Great Monotub Tek

6.:mushroom2:Azurensces Monotub Tek - Great Monotub Tek

7.:mushroom2:Ohmatic Monotub Great Great Monotub, Possibly better than Frank Horrigan. This was where Monster Mitch got his monotub from.

Check out all of the above tek's and see which you like. I suggest the How Frank Get's Shit Done from reviews of other growers currently. Information and Learning Curve is greatest here.

And then here for Monotub design.

7.:mushroom2:
TL's Monotub Design From TranscendingLife

:syringe:Here is a Wild Bird Seed SPAWN Tek. (For Making Spawn for Inoculation):syringe:

8.:mushroom2:Doc34's Wild Bird Seed (SPAWN) Tek This is great for making your Wild Bird Seed SPAWN. Follow this to make your spawn for Monotub.

2.:mushroom2:Foo Man's WBS Method - Good! Use with Doc's WBS Method

:rocket::rocket::rocket:Watch this DVD:rocket::rocket::rocket:

9.:mushroom2:Roger Rabbit's Let's Grow Mushrooms (Otherwise known as RR, he is a boss):mushroom2:
(Great to imitate their process of doing things, and to get an idea of what it looks like, and learn A LOT and almost everything you need to understand about growing mushrooms in the education stage.)

Follow These GENERAL Steps
1. Gather Items.
2. Sterilize absolutely everything so you can perform surgery on a human.
3. Prepare Wild Bird Seed for Inoculation
4. Prepare Monotub
5. Prepare Substrate
6. FOLLOW Frank Getting Shit Done

:rocket:Here is a list of needed items: (This list came from tbagtag):rocket:

Pressure cooker with gauge
Wild Bird Seed [Pennington Recommended]
Gypsum
Fine or Medium Grade Vermiculite
Eco Earth Coir Bricks
Stock pot
Wide Mouth Quart Jars (3 Dozen to be Safe)
Red Devil Silicone
Eco Earth Coir
Poly fill
5 Gal Plastic Bucket with Lid [For Mixing]
Tote (Storage Tubs) 18 gallon, 30 gallon, etc. (of choice)
Thick black 30 gallon trash bags
Scotch Tape
Flame Source for Needle Sterilization (also known as Alcohol Lamp)
Spore Syringes with chosen strains
Large Filter Patch Bags (For Substrate PREP)
Clean Water
Hand Sanitizer
ISO 70% Rubbing alcohol for Sterilization (91% is okay as well).
Lysol
Still Air Box
Shop towels (no lint)
Meat thermometer
Rubber Gloves (Powder Free)

Optional Items:

Dehydrator
Coated paper plates
Tin foil (for prints and cloning)

:mushroom2:Here are some definitions::mushroom2: (Also Shroomery Glossary)

Spawn Ratio = 'Spawn ratio' is another way of saying 'spawn to substrate ratio'.
So 'high spawn ratio' is a 'high spawn to substrate ratio' which to me is anywhere from 1:1 to 1:4 (spawn to substrate).
1:10 would be a low spawn to sub ratio, where 1:1 would be a high spawn to sub ratio.

FAE = Fresh Air Exchange.

Aborts = A mushroom that for some reason ceases to grow and never reaches maturity.

G2G = Grain to Grain Transfer. The inoculation of grain with already-colonized grain. This procedure involves exposing uncolonized, sterilized grain, and so is prone to contamination. As such it should only be performed with a glove box, laminar flow hood, or similar device.     

SAB = Still Air Box

WBS = Wild Bird Seed

Sub = Substrate

BRF = Brown Rice Flour

PC = Pressure Cooker.

Verm = Vermiculite

LC = Liquid Culture

GLC = Grain Liquid Culture

FC = Fruiting Chamber

GE = Gas Exchange

OP = Original Poster

Agar = Agar is a gelling substance that when mixed with a nutrient creates what is called a medium.  A medium is used to grow cultures of mycelium, typically in a Petri dish. Agar is a cultivator's most powerful tool.  Agar allows us to guarantee clean inoculant that decreases colonization times vs starting from spores.  Agar also allows us to isolate and preserve substrains of our favorite species that exhibit qualities that we like.  The use of master slants even allows us to preserve our best substrains for years at a time.  For the master mycologist, agar can even be used to cross similar varieties (substrains within the same species) of mushrooms to create new mutations. Agar Culturing:  A cultivator starts an agar culture by placing spores or a tissue sample from the interior of a mushroom's stipe (cloning) onto the surface of agar.  The spores will germinate and colonize the surface of the agar.  A tissue sample (clone) will begin colonization of the agar surface within 48 hours.  Once the agar surface has been colonized, a wedge of it can be cut away with a sterile blade for use as inoculant.  A cultivator can use an agar wedge to inoculate grain jars, liquid culture jars, and start fresh agar cultures.

How many quart jars can a syringe inoculate? A typical 10cc syringe can inoculate up to 10 jars. But you want to use a little over 1cc for each quart jar.

:mushroom2:Great websites for spores and syringes:
:heart:Sporeworks
:heart:The Hawks Eye (Highly Suggested)
:heart:The Spore Depot
Check out the Sponsor Websites of Shroomery.

I will keep editing this as I find more information and make it better with the more discoveries to better prepare beginners and give them less work to find what they need to know.

Edited by Moonsparrow (10/15/19 11:54 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dept of know what I'm say... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] *DELETED* [Re: Moonsparrow] * 1
    #18657530 - 08/04/13 06:54 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Post deleted by psillyshroomer

Reason for deletion: Not cool

Offlinefrenchfries
friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: MO
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Stromrider] * 1
    #18657564 - 08/04/13 07:14 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

nice thread I will be attempting monotub after I get done with my first learning experience with brf.  I want that bulk! :stoned:

--------------------
"Oh Krishna I have no desire for victory or for a kingdom or pleasures.' "Even if they were to kill me I would not want to kill them not even to become the ruler of the world."

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

Loc: Amsterdam Flag
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: frenchfries] * 1
    #18657741 - 08/04/13 08:27 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

:Edit:

Everythings cool.  Don't want to distract from the value this thread has.  Good Compilation OP.

Edited by tbagtag (08/04/13 06:30 PM)

InvisibleUhurungus
Avoiderer of Bullshit
Male

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: tbagtag] * 1
    #18657755 - 08/04/13 08:31 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tbagtag said:
Really? youre going to copy and paste my thread and claim it as your own?

Here is my link you can see this guy took my list and did very little research on his own.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18654325

Bad form.....

lol.  but now i know what spawn ratio means!!

--------------------
I'm never 100% on anything, just close enough to risk looking foolish.

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Uhurungus] * 1
    #18657770 - 08/04/13 08:34 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by tbagtag (08/04/13 06:31 PM)

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: tbagtag] * 1
    #18657778 - 08/04/13 08:35 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

:wink:

Edited by Stromrider (09/22/14 08:09 AM)

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Stromrider] * 1
    #18657786 - 08/04/13 08:37 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by tbagtag (08/04/13 06:31 PM)

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18657790 - 08/04/13 08:38 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

----

Edited by Stromrider (09/22/14 08:09 AM)

InvisibleUhurungus
Avoiderer of Bullshit
Male

#18657796 - 08/04/13 08:39 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

easy bud, we're on your side

--------------------
I'm never 100% on anything, just close enough to risk looking foolish.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18657798 - 08/04/13 08:40 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Btw I read your grow along thread this morning. Very cool. I wish someone would have done that when I was doing my first mono. I might just grow along for the hell of it.

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

#18657816 - 08/04/13 08:44 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Edited by tbagtag (08/04/13 06:32 PM)

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18657834 - 08/04/13 08:49 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tbagtag said:
Really?  You're going to copy and paste
Quote:

psillyshroomer said:
No tbag. That is dircted towards moon. Sorry to be unclear. I also retracted my rating. I agree. Not cool

Lol my bad. No green this morning so I'm a little edgy.  My apologies, thank you for your support.  And at Uhur, thanks bro.  I plan on taking a lot of time to help out the newbies.

Me and my wife just had us a nice wake and bake  :hellyeah:

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18657841 - 08/04/13 08:50 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Oops sorry didn't mean to rub it in Tbag :tongue:

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

#18657891 - 08/04/13 09:08 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

psillyshroomer said:

Lol it's cool my guy went on vacation and didn't tell anyone.  Thank goodness for benzodiazepines.

OfflineMoonsparrow
Psychedelic Explorer

#18659301 - 08/04/13 03:42 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tbagtag said:
Quote:

psillyshroomer said:

Lol it's cool my guy went on vacation and didn't tell anyone.  Thank goodness for benzodiazepines.

Quote:

tbagtag said:

Here is my link you can see this guy took my list and did very little research on his own.

Bad form.....

Hey tbagtag. I am sorry, I am just posting stuff so people have a quickc start on where to get started, and as a post reference for myself, I am sorry I did not give you credit for your list. I am giving credit to you.

--------------------

"You see, we are capabale of such beautiful dreams and horrible nightmares, and you feel so alone, but you are not. We have found that the only thing that cures this feeling is each other."

OfflineMoonsparrow
Psychedelic Explorer

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Moonsparrow] * 1
    #18659335 - 08/04/13 03:52 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

But if it bothers you that much, let me know and I will just put together my own list, which will come out to almost the same conclusion of items. But I gave you your credit that you deserve, but if it still bothers you let me know.

--------------------

"You see, we are capabale of such beautiful dreams and horrible nightmares, and you feel so alone, but you are not. We have found that the only thing that cures this feeling is each other."

OfflineMoonsparrow
Psychedelic Explorer

#18659430 - 08/04/13 04:21 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tbagtag said:

Bad form.....

And also, it was only the list that I copied, because it is mostly items that anyone who is doing monotub is going to need. But I have altered it and gave you credit at the same time. I didn't copy your whole thread.

--------------------

OfflineTrippy_Penguin
 User Gallery

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Moonsparrow] * 2
    #18659463 - 08/04/13 04:31 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Moonsparrow said:
I have altered it and gave you credit at the same time

:thumbup: Gotta give credit where it's due.

Good compilation of information, though.

OfflineBloodKil
Mangler av era mödrar slida
 User Gallery

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Trippy_Penguin] * 2
    #18659506 - 08/04/13 04:42 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Glad credit was given and all, but at the same time it's kinda like apple suing for other manufacturers making phones in a candy bar shape...  The same list has been compiled many times guys and no matter what order you put it in your going to end up with the same basic supplies needed.  (It would take me an hour per post to have to look up where I read what info and give credit for it every time)

You guys both have great lists/posts, and each is unique in some parts...  No need to fight. :wink:

OfflineTrippy_Penguin
 User Gallery

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: BloodKil]
    #18659519 - 08/04/13 04:46 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I agree Bloodkil, however when there is clear use of copy and pasting, giving some credit is necessary.

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

#18659730 - 08/04/13 05:31 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BloodKil said:
Glad credit was given and all, but at the same time it's kinda like apple suing for other manufacturers making phones in a candy bar shape...  The same list has been compiled many times guys and no matter what order you put it in your going to end up with the same basic supplies needed.  (It would take me an hour per post to have to look up where I read what info and give credit for it every time)

You guys both have great lists/posts, and each is unique in some parts...  No need to fight. :wink:

BK- I dont want you thinking I am being a dick, here is the thread where he asked for help, step by step, and a full list.  In here you can see where I offered help, pointed him to my thread and he thanks me.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18653111

That is why I got offended when it was a copy and paste from a thread where I am intentionally slowing down my process to help others.

I think the idea for Moon's thread is a great idea, but I can hope now knowing some the additional backstory you can understand why I was a little butt hurt. 

@ Moon, apology accepted, I know you're new and there is a learning curve.  Feel free to leave the list up.  I appreciate you taking the high road instead of starting some flame war like other newbies on the site have.  Keep learning, keep reading and feel free to post whatever you like.  I will still help you when I can if it is something I know.  There are no hard feelings on my part.

Back @ BK: Also, not to sound snooty, but when I have used someones tek I made sure I listed them by screen name.  They took the time out to help me why shouldn't I thank them?  I also ensure I give ratings, and have sent private PM's in thanks.  It's the least I can do for those that have helped random strangers.

Edited by tbagtag (08/04/13 05:35 PM)

OfflineMoonsparrow
Psychedelic Explorer

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: tbagtag]
    #18659759 - 08/04/13 05:38 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tbagtag said:
Quote:

BloodKil said:

BK- I dont want you thinking I am being a dick, here is the thread where he asked for help, step by step, and a full list.  In here you can see where I offered help, pointed him to my thread and he thanks me.

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18653111

That is why I got offended when it was a copy and paste from a thread where I am intentionally slowing down my process to help others.

I think the idea for Moon's thread is a great idea, but I can hope now knowing some the additional backstory you can understand why I was a little butt hurt. 

@ Moon, apology accepted, I know you're new and there is a learning curve.  Feel free to leave the list up.  I appreciate you taking the high road instead of starting some flame war like other newbies on the site have.  Keep learning, keep reading and feel free to post whatever you like.  I will still help you when I can if it is something I know.  There are no hard feelings on my part.

Yes tbag. I am sorry bud, I totally copy and pasted your list... lol. It was 100% plagarized, I didn't mean for the thread to be seen so bluntly. I just was in a rush to make this thread so i could remember where i left off in researching and learning.  I am just learning and just joined this site. I am doing this for myself, and so other people can do this too, makes it quicker for them and I when I get back online. I would gladly learn from you for I have not grown AT ALL yet. and hopefully can join in on the follow up grow. Thanks bud

--------------------

OfflineTrippy_Penguin
 User Gallery

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Moonsparrow]
    #18659772 - 08/04/13 05:40 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I think we can all agree that you have now been forgiven. Let's let this thread go somewhere productive now :laugh:

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Trippy_Penguin]
    #18659880 - 08/04/13 05:58 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

petersodm said:
I think we can all agree that you have now been forgiven. Let's let this thread go somewhere productive now :laugh:

Exactly it's all good.  So from what you have studied up on what seems the most confusing/difficult at all,  assuming that there is anything at all.

OfflineMemphisDisco
Stranger

#18659923 - 08/04/13 06:06 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

I've got a question to get this headed somewhere productive!  I did some BRF cakes in the wrong size jars (awesome noob move I know) so i had to cut them out and decided to jump to a monotub.  I used Damion5050's coir tek that was referenced by the OP.  I mixed it up as best as I could with the coir and then I covered with a top layer of coir.  My question is will the whole thing colonize so I will know when it is done?  I am worried I may have added too much coir for that top layer.  There are some spots where myc is popping through but is it bad if i put too much coir on top or will it just take longer to colonize.  Thanks!

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: MemphisDisco]
    #18659935 - 08/04/13 06:10 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Were the brf jars fully inoculated or did you have to remove uncolonized parts?

How many quarts of coir was used and how deep is the substrate?

How much spawn was used?

Edit:  Moon, I hope you don't think that I am hijacking your thread.  This  falls under mono's and you will see the question about BRF spawned mono's every so often the longer you're on here.

Edited by tbagtag (08/04/13 06:24 PM)

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

#18660008 - 08/04/13 06:31 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

This post was a glitch.  Making some edits and this appeard.  My bad.

Edited by tbagtag (08/04/13 06:33 PM)

OfflineBloodKil
Mangler av era mödrar slida
 User Gallery

#18660064 - 08/04/13 06:45 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Sry tbag, wasn't trying to come off as saying your being a dick...  Was half ass joking around and also pointing out that unless some big revolution comes into play with monotubs that most teks will incorporate the same list (but possibly in different order)

Plus I've been mixing my cough syrup with gin again...:wink:  so don't take anything I say too seriously.  (2 cups of that purple stuff got me buzzing)

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

#18660078 - 08/04/13 06:49 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

BloodKil said:
Sry tbag, wasn't trying to come off as saying your being a dick...  Was half ass joking around and also pointing out that unless some big revolution comes into play with monotubs that most teks will incorporate the same list (but possibly in different order)

Plus I've been mixing my cough syrup with gin again...:wink:  so don't take anything I say too seriously.  (2 cups of that purple stuff got me buzzing)

It's all good. In reflection I could have handled it better. I can admit that especially when the OP shows that they really are interested in the greater good and not their own benefit. Sometimes all this is hard to express via posts when there is no inflection.

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #18660139 - 08/04/13 07:05 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

:werd: Communication with post can be quite tricky when so much of the way we communicate is done by body gestures and voice tone

OfflineMemphisDisco
Stranger

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Stromrider]
    #18660579 - 08/04/13 08:33 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

yea i wasn't trying to jack the thread, thought it was a relevant question.

the cakes were fully colonized
i used all 12 cakes and mixed it with coir to be about 3 inches deep and then 1 inch of coir by itself on top if I have to guess

The coir verm mix I just took damion5050's tek for 7 quart jars and tried to do some math for the amount of spawn I had.  It was about 1/3-1/2 a brick

OfflineMoonsparrow
Psychedelic Explorer

#18660768 - 08/04/13 09:06 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

tbagtag said:

How much spawn was used?

Edit:  Moon, I hope you don't think that I am hijacking your thread.  This  falls under mono's and you will see the question about BRF spawned mono's every so often the longer you're on here.

Quote:

tbagtag said:

How much spawn was used?

The more you help the more i learn lol. Feel free to help anyone on this thread. Ill keep edititng it as more knowledge comes along and hopefully one day innovate my own experience. I currently have zero :laugh:

--------------------

OfflineMoonsparrow
Psychedelic Explorer

Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [For Beginners and Enthusiasts] [Re: Moonsparrow]
    #18694250 - 08/12/13 02:29 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

almost complete

--------------------

InvisiblePestile

Loc: Northern Europe
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [For Beginners and Enthusiasts] [Re: Moonsparrow]
    #18728697 - 08/19/13 05:19 PM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Nice collection. I like it. :thumbup:

--------------------

The Corbett Report
Open Source Intelligence News

OfflineDjchrist
Student
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa Flag
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [For Beginners and Enthusiasts] [Re: Pestile]
    #18730940 - 08/20/13 04:58 AM (10 years, 7 months ago)

Bookmarked

Offlinetigerland
Master of his Domain
 User Gallery

Loc: Neverland
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: Moonsparrow]
    #19919437 - 04/29/14 11:31 PM (9 years, 10 months ago)

thank you great bundle of info

--------------------
You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.
- Harvey Dent

Cotton Compost - http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/20124617/fpart/1/vc/1

OfflineNuggernaut
Stranger
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: tigerland]
    #20593155 - 09/20/14 03:12 PM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Seriously ^ great info. Thank you!

OfflineSmokey B
meditator
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Africa (Cape Town)
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Nuggernaut]
    #20599656 - 09/22/14 01:00 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks allot , this really helps :thumbup:

--------------------
“This is a society, a world, a planet dying because there is not enough consciousness, because there is not enough awareness, enough coordination of intent-to-problem. And yet, we spend vast amounts of money stigmatizing people and substances that are part of this effort to expand consciousness, see things in different ways, unleash creativity. Isn’t it perfectly clear that business as usual is a bullet through the head?”
– Terence McKenna

InvisibleE.FTS
Male

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Smokey B]
    #20599816 - 09/22/14 03:19 AM (9 years, 6 months ago)

Its a thread with a lot of really good teks/links. :thumbup:

These actually help more than people think. Like 'how frank gets shit done'. Its a library of solid info, without UTSF, which tends to lead to outdated info IMO.

bookmarked.

EDIT: very well put together as well. +5 for that.

Edited by E.FTS (09/22/14 03:22 AM)

OfflineBigJimSlade
Former Tight End
Male

Loc: Michigan
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: Moonsparrow]
    #21099026 - 01/10/15 09:03 PM (9 years, 2 months ago)

Thank you so much for these excellent TEK's, I'm really looking forward to moving up to monotub's with my next grow.

--------------------
:mushroom2:

OfflineScoutingEagleS
ScoutingEagle
Male User Gallery

Loc: State of Confusion
    #21467716 - 03/27/15 08:50 PM (9 years, 4 days ago)

Great resources. Thanks

--------------------
Living Murphy's Law... One Moment at a Time...

~ScoutingEagle

***ADDENDUM:*** All submitted posts are in any event, works of pure fiction or outright lies. Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated fictitious lies.

Offlinemizzmaryjane
Noobi
Female

#21715009 - 05/23/15 05:49 PM (8 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you for this post. It's so helpful and full of education on mushrooms!

OfflineManningFace
Stranger
    #23030012 - 03/21/16 01:48 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

thank you for this compilation!

Edited by ManningFace (03/21/16 01:49 PM)

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: ManningFace]
    #23030483 - 03/21/16 04:18 PM (8 years, 9 days ago)

For the search engine: This thread is how to grow a big tub of mushrooms

--------------------
First time growing cakes? DON'T make a Shotgun Fruiting Chamber

The Shmuvbox. - The Old TC's Like it :shrug:

Afraid to Start Growing From Your Own Prints? Drop it Like a Tiger!
No Pouring. No Syringes. No Cutting. No flaming. No Contamination. No Bullshit.

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Pastywhite's Easy Agar Tek (PastyPlates)

Tiger Drop Video Demos By munchauzen

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

EZEKIEL 23:20

Invisibleoontribe
Male User Gallery

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #23032396 - 03/22/16 02:32 AM (8 years, 9 days ago)

Dont forget to dunk before mixing the spawn with the substrate.

OfflineoKiHai
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: oontribe]
    #23041984 - 03/24/16 04:23 PM (8 years, 6 days ago)

Thanks for putting this all in one thread!

Invisibleb1blazin
The Transcendent

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: oKiHai]
    #23044649 - 03/25/16 12:45 PM (8 years, 5 days ago)

Good stuff Moonsparrow!:thumbup::thumbup:

InvisibleSpicyWizard
I'm a teapot

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: b1blazin]
    #23049429 - 03/26/16 08:09 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

do you guys realize this thread is almost 3 years old?

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: SpicyWizard]
    #23049467 - 03/26/16 08:22 PM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Was wondering why my tek wasn't in it. :derp:

--------------------

"The best thing to do while your waiting is to start more stuff. I usually got so much happening that I have tossed projects simply because I didn't have time for them. -Pastywhite QFT

Van Gogh would’ve sold more than one painting if he’d put tigers in them.―Bill Watterson

OfflineSleepwaker
Stranger
Male

#23050595 - 03/27/16 07:29 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

Hello everyone!  I would just like to say the community here is amazing!  Thanks for the incredible list of monotub teks...I'm about to spawn my WBS to bulk for my first ever bulk grow using a monotub.  I have 12 WBS jars in the incubator that will probably be ready to spawn to bulk soon.  My question is this, do I let the WBS "consolidate" for a week before birthing like you do BRF.  I understand that the whole point of grain is that you can crumble it up, so should i still give it that extra week for the mycelium to take an even stronger hold, shaking it every two days to make sure it doesn't become one solid chunk.  OR should i just go ahead and spawn to bulk as soon as my WBS is 100% colonized.

--------------------
“We do not “come into” this world; we come out of it, as leaves from a tree.” – Alan Watts.

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: Sleepwaker]
    #23050625 - 03/27/16 07:44 AM (8 years, 4 days ago)

you do not need to consolidate grain jars.

you do not want to shake them every 2 days. you'll never get 100% colonization if you do this. shake once at 30% to speed up colonization, that is it.

if it is 100% spawn it.

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: Munchauzen]
    #23051005 - 03/27/16 10:19 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Munchauzen said:
you do not need to consolidate grain jars.

you do not want to shake them every 2 days. you'll never get 100% colonization if you do this. shake once at 30% to speed up colonization, that is it.

if it is 100% spawn it.

For the record I have let some jars go a pretty long time before I spawned them. I think the most was 2 months. Still a great grow.

--------------------

Invisibleb1blazin
The Transcendent

Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #23051187 - 03/27/16 11:06 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

why dont grains need a consolidation period?

InvisibleMunchauzen
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: b1blazin]
    #23051252 - 03/27/16 11:21 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

its digested easier by the culture than brown rice

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: b1blazin]
    #23051379 - 03/27/16 11:57 AM (8 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

b1blazin said:
why dont grains need a consolidation period?

Also because you're not fruiting the grains, you're spawning them. If you were just going to fruit out of the jar I would say that you could 'consolidate' grains.

But grains are used for spawning to bulk. They are your inoculate and they are easy to digest.

--------------------

Invisibletbagtag
Boomer Barron

Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: SpicyWizard]
    #23085051 - 04/05/16 06:29 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ralphraven18 said:
do you guys realize this thread is almost 3 years old?

Puppet accounts or people trying to get post counts up.

Invisibleb1blazin
The Transcendent

#23086404 - 04/05/16 02:54 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

okay so would this not be true for grain spawn to bulk sub.? i was reading and this is a fellow that had the same question as me. I've read mixed opinions on whether or not to let a bulk sub consolidate after 100% colonization.

Correct me if I am wrong but, isn't consolidation basically the same as colonization only to make sure that every nook and cranny is colonized...not just what is seen by the eye?

Here is the quote from RR

Allow for 100% colonization plus one week for best results.  This applies to mushroom substrates.  It matters not whether cakes or bulk.

This doesn't mean your project will fail if you don't.  It simply means that fruiting will rarely occur before that week anyway, so why not leave it sealed up to preserve moisture and let the mycelium digest a bit more food before exposing to fruiting conditions?  I find it odd that so many people around here are stuck with what is 'good enough' and 'the way it was done ten years ago' when better ways have been found.  The commercial farms always let the substrates sit for a week to a month after full colonization.  Why?  Because fruiting room real estate is at a premium, but colonization space is cheap and easy to maintain.  By allowing for consolidation of the substrate, the eventual flush is faster, larger, and more even.

The astute grower will use the consolidation time to start more projects so that when the first one comes out of fruiting conditions, he has more ready to go in.
RR

im just trying to get the best result on the perfect timeline

Also ive heard testing from some that say while the consolidation period will result in more pinsets it does not result in higher yield.

Edited by b1blazin (04/05/16 02:58 PM)

Invisibleelasticaltiger
Like Tigers in Coitus
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #23088368 - 04/05/16 11:49 PM (7 years, 11 months ago)

My monos always pin the day after full colonization so I don't know what RR is talking about. When did he write that?

I'm willing to bet that at the time he wrote it he would have had no idea so many people would be growing in tubs that keep near perfect fruiting conditions consistently from spawn to harvest.

You can try to consolidate your bulk subs in your mono but if you're growing ps. cubensis that is not penis envy I would bet dollars to donuts you get pins before your 7 days of consolidation are up.

Bulk subs of coco coir get digested easier than brown rice flour cakes.

--------------------

Invisiblem1nd6am3sk8er
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: elasticaltiger]
    #23122884 - 04/16/16 01:04 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

Commenting just to save.  Thank you.

Invisibleb1blazin
The Transcendent

#23124053 - 04/16/16 11:51 AM (7 years, 11 months ago)

have you had a negative result from using a consolidation period ? have you tried? i will experiment myself and see if there is any significant difference.

OfflineVrayth
Stranger
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: E.FTS]
    #23394726 - 06/29/16 04:05 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Awesome I have a lot to read:laugh:

InvisiblemagicMerlin
 User Gallery

Loc: Toronto
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Vrayth]
    #23395543 - 06/29/16 09:11 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Nice to see this on the front page. This is one of the first posts that consolidated a lot of great information out there and explained things in a way I could understand.

--------------------
My favorite threads

Offlinemushiedude
Stranger
    #23715078 - 10/07/16 03:49 AM (7 years, 5 months ago)

This is great! Thanks for taking the time to put this together!

OfflineMycoLab Solutions
Mycologists

Loc: Sebastopol, CA
    #25040624 - 03/05/18 02:34 PM (6 years, 25 days ago)

Great run through and awesome info.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLf0DElPxHOx9voz2qWbGgjOH8FXPf1ccf

Here is a complete video series that goes over in video much of what you talk about.

Thanks again and keep spreading the knowledge.

--------------------
MycoLab Solutions

~ Saving the world one mushroom at a time!

OfflineCrymsyn
Stranger
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: MycoLab Solutions]
    #25042485 - 03/06/18 09:32 AM (6 years, 24 days ago)

Why no cracked corn? Will it cause problems or will the myc just not colonize on it?

InvisibleR-A-M
Consciousness

#25142494 - 04/16/18 02:56 AM (5 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the summary.

--------------------
Life is an emotional journey through a world of mirrors in which we see reflections of our minds.

Offlineweedjee
Stranger
    #26049053 - 06/12/19 08:56 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Nice tread! Thanks for all of the great info!!

InvisibleMycoAngelo II
Mushroom Republic
I'm a teapot
Re: ALL you need to know about Growing Monotub Bulk Mushrooms [Reference Guide Beg. and Enthusiasts] [Re: weedjee]
    #26066365 - 06/21/19 07:54 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Great help thanks!

OfflineMoonsparrow
Psychedelic Explorer

#26254854 - 10/15/19 08:23 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Hey Everyone! I've been off here for a long time, Wow, this post has nearly 60,000 views. I would love to see the grows everyone may have benefited from this compilation post from many years ago, I can't believe it's been 6 years. This is my first time logging on in a long time, thanks for the feedback! Love you all, happy shrooming. :mushroom2:

--------------------

Offlineausmedic
Stranger

#26867495 - 08/06/20 11:06 PM (3 years, 7 months ago)

This is great thank you

OfflineCapefearjay
Stranger
    #26945475 - 09/20/20 03:16 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Hey thanks man

OfflineCapefearjay
Stranger
    #26945477 - 09/20/20 03:17 AM (3 years, 6 months ago)

Hey thanks man

OfflineOmega
No Face

Loc: Lost But Not Losing
Re: [Beginner's] Monotub Grow Research [For the Lost Beginners] [Re: Capefearjay]
    #26955225 - 09/25/20 10:52 PM (3 years, 5 months ago)

Good list of information, Thank you.

OfflineJuvintude1017
Stranger

#28602776 - 12/29/23 10:38 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

So excited to start this TEK this week.

OfflineJuvintude1017
Stranger

#28602778 - 12/29/23 10:39 PM (2 months, 28 days ago)

Sweeeeet

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract